Cause of the strange locations on the clock/weather widget.

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I think I may have figured out the culprit of the strange locations. Now I don't know the exact cause, but for the first time ever the location gave me a weird place called Anyang-si, which I found out is in South Korea. So I look up the coordinates and it's Latitude: 37.43333 Longitude: 126.9167.

The latitude is pretty much spot on where I'm at right now, but the longitude is off by about 200 degrees. I only had it on Google location services. Once I turn the GPS on, it eventually goes back to my actual spot. It literally just happened 20 minutes ago or so for the first time.

Last edited:

JerseyDubbin

Open Source For Life!
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I've been there before!!! or well my phone has.

If you download GPS Helper and use it I've found it finds my location within seconds. Worth trying.

Nice digging into it that far, i never went much farther then googling the place haha

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Well using Google location services and maps, for the most part it's pretty close, but I noticed that when it is off by more than a few hundred feet, it's usually off on the longitude, never the latitude.

AubreyPage

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
I also had location issues for days. I contacted HTC and did what they suggested (suggestions are repeated by others in this forum)but the phone still thought I was somewhere else. I remembered that I had recently set "Fast Boot" to on. I went into settings and turned "Fast Boot" off and re-booted and my location issue was fixed.

It's worth a try.

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I also had location issues for days. I contacted HTC and did what they suggested (suggestions are repeated by others in this forum)but the phone still thought I was somewhere else. I remembered that I had recently set "Fast Boot" to on. I went into settings and turned "Fast Boot" off and re-booted and my location issue was fixed.

It's worth a try.

Well it's not really a huge deal as it's back to normal now and this is the first time ever (had the phone since launch day) that it's done it for me. I've never used Fast Boot, I just found it strange that it had the latitude pretty much spot on, but it was the longitude that was screwed up and that turning on GPS fixed it.

I did turn the GPS off and it went back to normal on its own. For me anyway, the GPS has never had an issue with finding me. I just thought it was funny that Google location services is what messed up, not GPS and again the fact that it was only longitude.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I had heard of someone else having this issue, but it was because they had turned off their LTE to get 3G. I use Google Location Services as my only GPS location usually, except for Google Maps... sorry, hope someone else can help.

adaorange

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Mine hasn't bee too.far off but I do routinely see no fewer than 6 different location from my house. He worst of which is "Michigan". But at least I do live in Michigan.