Reducing my OTA Update Induced Reboots

tabraha

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
After my 5th reboot yesterday I decided to do a factory reset to see if it would alleviate the problem. Averaging a reboot every 2 hours I figured there was nothing to lose. So after the factory reset I had 3hrs under my belt all of my apps/contacts etc restored and life was good. Then I opened Google Maps to check-in with latitude and it immediately rebooted.

Now the 3hrs was better than what I had been averaging, but what if my woes were related to the GPS since this was a potential "fix" in the update? The timing with the reboot was too coincidental. So after the t-bolt rebooted I immediately went to the power bar and turned GPS off. I did not go into settings and adjust any location based services etc., I just turned it off using the power bar and steered clear of Maps/Latitude. I now have 10hrs of uptime on my phone; the longest uptime I've had since the OTA update botched this unit.

I don't know if it is a real solution or coincidence but since I've turned the GPS off and stayed out of Maps/Latitude I have not had an issue. Just wanted to throw that experience out there, maybe it can help some with the severe rebooting like I had. Hopefully VZW/HTC fix it correctly but in the meantime I need to be able to make business calls without fear of a reboot, which happened twice yesterday.

Zeutron

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I really think it has to do with your radio reception. For me, the only time I get rebooted is when im at work which is a metal building with spotty 3g reception. I use the *$%& out of this phone and work is the only place it reboots.
Stock bolt.
No 4g.

Reactions: Chrisy

Shygar

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had a reboot yet and I keep my GPS off typically. However I have turned it on and it seemed to work the same as it did before the update, so not sure what's going on there.

tabraha

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Well I made 11 hours and then it rebooted in the middle of a call; with the same client as the day before! I turned off all of the location based services this time to see if it helps get it back to normal too. :( I guess I shouldn't be to bummed 11hrs is alot better than 2-3! Hopefully turning off LBS will help get me higher than 11hrs until we get a fix pushed out to us.

ETA: The last reboot I was 0.25mi from the tower, signal was fluctuating from full bars to 1 bar and I could SEE the tower. So maybe it is a radio issue. All I know is if turning GPS crap off gets me from 2hr reboots to 11hr reboots I'll take it at this point!

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty