Is LTE out again?

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
My 4G was also out yesterday during the afternoon in Denver, CO. Came back up late last night and appears normal again today.

-Frank

pc747

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
The tech rep at vzw stated that every time they turn on a new city it results in fluctuations and outages in other cities.Hopefully they come up with a solution to that.

jim302

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Given that a lot of the outages were reported after midnight Eastern time, did it occur to anyone that this could have been network maintenance, possibly intended to prevent a future outage like the one a few weeks ago?

An outage late on a Friday night... that's usually a great time for network maintenance. The timing was unfortunate for people on the west coast, but if a large part of the system had to be taken down, it gets difficult to time something in a way that doesn't impact part of the country, unless the outage is intended to be really short (as in an hour or so).

One would hope that most network maintenance on something this large would not result in an outage, but it all depends on the scenario.

FutureTBoltOwner

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Given that a lot of the outages were reported after midnight Eastern time, did it occur to anyone that this could have been network maintenance, possibly intended to prevent a future outage like the one a few weeks ago?

An outage late on a Friday night... that's usually a great time for network maintenance. The timing was unfortunate for people on the west coast, but if a large part of the system had to be taken down, it gets difficult to time something in a way that doesn't impact part of the country, unless the outage is intended to be really short (as in an hour or so).

One would hope that most network maintenance on something this large would not result in an outage, but it all depends on the scenario.

Suppose this is what happened ... my next question then becomes why can't verizon relay this info to us that there will be network maintanence? Honestly, is it that hard to keep your customers informed? I know companies often target off peak hours to do maintenance, but undoubtedly there will always be people using the network no matter what time or place. So why not at least take the courtesy of allowing people to know you're going to do this to inform those that would happen to be using the network at that time to help them plan around it?

jim302

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Suppose this is what happened ... my next question then becomes why can't verizon relay this info to us that there will be network maintanence? Honestly, is it that hard to keep your customers informed? I know companies often target off peak hours to do maintenance, but undoubtedly there will always be people using the network no matter what time or place. So why not at least take the courtesy of allowing people to know you're going to do this to inform those that would happen to be using the network at that time to help them plan around it?

They really should have a network status page, and possibly even a notification system. They don't have to tell customers what they are doing, as there could be various business reasons for not discussing this kind of information, just that there will be an outage. Almost all systems will eventually require maintenance resulting in down time or reduced performance for some users.

Customer service agents have this information, but why increase call center load and hold times any more than necessary?

Unfortunately, few large companies have useful network status pages. Most web hosting and cloud services do.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
did it occur to anyone that this could have been network maintenance,
It "could" have been virtually anything.

An outage late on a Friday night... that's usually a great time for network maintenance..
Actually, that is not necessarily true. I've been in IT for 20 years, or so. Most of my experience is in a corporate environment. But, in my experience, it is SOP that Friday is the worst possible day to do any kind of network maintenance. Primarily because the IT folks don't want to have to work all weekend if a screw-up occurs. :)

I will admit however, that if they are fighting a specific issue like this reboot thingy, they might make an exception. :)

-Frank

Steve54

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
Anyone in Scotts Valley, CA? 4G just got up and went...so I am supposing this occasionally happens. I just factory reset my phone thinking I FUBAR'ed it. Didn't help and burned through 1/2 of full charge, also......:confused::confused::confused:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1aas