Major data issues in Raleigh/Durham

jim302

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Let's run some tests

I've talked to a few helpful people in customer service, but unfortunately they don't seem to have access to much information about what is going on in this area. I think we can get an idea of what's going on here since we are all knowledgeable about the technology.

First, for a bit of background info...

I'm speculating that this is due to the Verizon and Alltel network integration. I was informed of the integration when I had a different but related issue calling certain numbers.

For those of you who don't know, the "800 MHz" Cellular coverage is divided into an A and B block. In Raleigh and most places West (except for a few parts of the mountains), Verizon had Cellular A block before the merger. East of Raleigh, US Cellular still controls the Cellular A block. In most parts of the state, except for some parts of the mountains, Alltel controlled the Cellular B block. There were (and still are) some exceptions.

After the merger, Verizon ended up keeping all of its Cellular A block licenses, and ended up with almost all of Alltel's Cellular B block licenses.

VZW and Alltel also had PCS licenses in most of the state, which helped to increase capacity, especially for EvDo, but that isn't particularly relevant for this discussion (yet).

Now, with that background information past us, if anyone is interested in helping out, please read on...

If you aren't in Wake, Durham, or Orange counties, there's no need to follow these instructions. They will not necessarily be accurate due to the above mentioned differences in licenses. If you are in range of a femtocell (network extender) or repeater, you will need to turn it off to get accurate results.

Don't use your Thunderbolt for these tests! Instead, use any old CDMA feature phone or smart phone, whether or not it is active on your account. These tests are not accurate for a 4G device. They could even cause problems with a 4G device, so be safe and don't even try it.

After reading the above warnings, do the following with a 3G smartphone or feature phone:

1. Dial *22800 (forces your phone to connect to activation on Cellular A) then press Send
  2. Do not press any buttons
  3. Note whether or not the call connects
  4. Note the signal strength (if you know how to access the debug menus, also note the receive power in dBm)
  5. Hang up, do not try to activate or update
  6. Repeat the above steps once or twice just to make sure you get accurate results
  7. Dial *22801 (forces Cellular B), then Send, then note the behavior as stated previously
  8. Remember to power off your old phone to prevent any strange registration issues
  9. If the phone drops to no service, don't panic - it will come back on its own after a minute or two.

Post the results here. If you get a weaker signal on one vs. the other, this could be a contributing factor to your problems. If one of them works but the other won't connect, don't panic - that isn't a problem. If they both act the same, that is probably OK too.

I'm trying to figure out if they might still be in the middle of changing things around. The results of this test should not be considered conclusive, as we are still dealing with limited information, but will at least give some indication into what might be going on.

Last edited:

ncwildcat

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Will try this hopefully later this evening. I did have some nice conversation with a network supervisor who even called me back after doing research, and let me know that there is now a major ticket for the area as it has been noted that the service has been bad espicially recently. The ticket is still open at this point, but is at the highest elevated status. It is definatly a tower issue, and the above post about band a and b may actually be closer to correct than you think...

jim302

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Forgot to include my numbers:

This was done from a Samsung feature phone... don't recall the exact model
*22800 (Cellular A): -101 dBm outside 0-1 bars
*22801 (Cellular B): -87 dBm outside 2-3 bars

Cellular A used to give me much better results.

Another phone simply fails to find anything 95% of the time on Cellular A (*22800), but it didn't have great reception in the first place. It sees around -95dBm on Cellular B.

If I have time, I'll test from my old HTC XV6800 and BlackBerry Tour tomorrow, unless postings in this thread or further discussions with VZW give a clear indication to the problem.

jim302

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Report from Cary, NC near Evans Rd and Weston Pkwy:
*22800 = Call Failed
*22801 = -80dBm

Last edited:

jim302

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I had the same results...*22800 would not go through...*22801 ok...signal at -88dbm...apex
I have found that *22800/*22801 give very inconsistent results. Sometimes. *22800 gives me nothing, sometimes it gives me a very weak signal, and sometimes it isn't much different than using *22801.

This leads me to believe that they are still messing around with the network and the Alltel integration.

There are multiple tickets for low or fluctuating signal in my zip code, and a few others in Raleigh.

I just wish I could find someone in customer service who knew what was going on with the network. Everyone I have taked to has said they don't have access to this information, and all they can do is open trouble tickets and wait. So far, success with trouble tickets has been limited.

rpw27607

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Is anyone still having this issue? I am running a stock Thunderbolt with the last update from a few months back. And while the Reboots seem to have slowed down in frequency, I am definitely seeing major gaps in data coverage. I work in Raleigh just north of the beltline off Capital Blvd, and I used to see 3G service, even with only 2-3 bars while in my office building, could get full bars when I walked outside. But recently I have been getting bounced back and forth between 3g and 1x a lot, and am almost always stuck in 1X even outside, until I get in my car and drive towards central/west Raleigh area where I live. I know that 4G is supposed to be turned on here in 2 weeks according to Verizon, could this be the cause of the data issues?

BCv3c

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
Re: Let's run some tests

1. Dial *22800 (forces your phone to connect to activation on Cellular A) then press Send
  2. Do not press any buttons
  3. Note whether or not the call connects
  4. Note the signal strength (if you know how to access the debug menus, also note the receive power in dBm)
  5. Hang up, do not try to activate or update
  6. Repeat the above steps once or twice just to make sure you get accurate results
  7. Dial *22801 (forces Cellular B), then Send, then note the behavior as stated previously
  8. Remember to power off your old phone to prevent any strange registration issues
  9. If the phone drops to no service, don't panic - it will come back on its own after a minute or two.

Thanks for the tips Jim. I've been having trouble in northwest raleigh for about a month now just making normal calls. I know I have an old phone, I've gone to the verizon store they say it's a phone problem, I have another phone (same model) and it has the exact same problem. I constantly get "Call Failed" after the phone times out trying to connect. I've called verizon and they knew nothing about the Alltel merger around here or of any known problems, they just say it must be a phone problem and you should upgrade. I'm not going to do anything until things stabilize around here with their network.

I ran your tests and guess what I can connect every time to *228001, but always fail with *22800. Sometimes I can connect with *228, but that's very rare. Please keep the information coming as you guys find out more about the network changes going on around here.

I should also note I don't have a data plan, voice only, and I do see my signal go from full to dropping to nothing back to full all the time, also switching between EV and 1X constantly.

Sentrix

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Spent about 10 days in Cary, NC and didn't have any issues at all with LTE. Same goes for when I went to downtown Raleigh.

jdk2

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Same here. Been in Cary for a couple of weeks as well as NCSU. No data or voice issues whatsoever. 4G is very strong and seldom waivers.

BCv3c

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
Same here. Been in Cary for a couple of weeks as well as NCSU. No data or voice issues whatsoever. 4G is very strong and seldom waivers.
I found another thread here (Verizon Wireless Issues? - The Triangle Area - Page 4 - City-Data Forum) where some people using older phone (aka razr) are having problems, possibly due to turning on the 4G network. Based on the time frame of my problems this may have caused it. I know that verizon could care less if the less expensive contracts got "kicked" off their network to make more room for the high dollar data plans out there.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana