Why I regret manually updating to MR2.

SpeedJunkie69

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I was having severe problems with rebooting for 2-3 weeks before I manually updated. However, during the 3-4 days before I did it, I only had 1 reboot. I decided that having my data wiped, etc. was worth it and updated.

Now, I have had 0 reboots in the 1+ week I've had the update. It's also neat having a date usage meter. But the one thing I already had an issue with got worse. Battery life. It may just be my imagination (probably not), but it seems that my battery life has taken a severe hit. I used to charge it to 100%, unplug it, and then go to bed. When I woke up, it used to be at 97-98, and once it was 95. Now when I wake up it's at 80-85.

Overall, it just seems like the battery life has just become an even worse problem, which makes me regret updating. I can live with an occasional reboot, as I don't need my phone for work as some people do. But battery life was already bad for me, now it's worse than ever.

Millzoid

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
I still might do the manual update. The biggest reason is GPS. The reception sucks and I rely on the GPS a lot. Yea I get reboots, but only like once every couple days. Battery life has never been that great, but it's not a huge issue for me. I'm not usually away from a charger long enough to worry about it.

I didn't want to do the manual update cause the update was supposedly coming out the 15th, but of course it didn't happen. I decided not to listen to rumors anymore, cause when it comes to Verizon the rumors are almost never correct.

waker

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I was having severe problems with rebooting for 2-3 weeks before I manually updated. However, during the 3-4 days before I did it, I only had 1 reboot. I decided that having my data wiped, etc. was worth it and updated.

Now, I have had 0 reboots in the 1+ week I've had the update. It's also neat having a date usage meter. But the one thing I already had an issue with got worse. Battery life. It may just be my imagination (probably not), but it seems that my battery life has taken a severe hit. I used to charge it to 100%, unplug it, and then go to bed. When I woke up, it used to be at 97-98, and once it was 95. Now when I wake up it's at 80-85.

Overall, it just seems like the battery life has just become an even worse problem, which makes me regret updating. I can live with an occasional reboot, as I don't need my phone for work as some people do. But battery life was already bad for me, now it's worse than ever.

Ironic. Mine is much better after two days on Mr2. Why do these things vary so much.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Ironic. Mine is much better after two days on Mr2. Why do these things vary so much.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
Maybe it has something to do with how weak the signals are from various towers. Maybe the leaked MR2 worked in part by boosting power to the phone's radio to allow it to better hold onto a relatively weak signal. In an area with an even weaker signal, perhaps the power drain is greater as the radio needs more power to hold on or search for stronger signals on other bands or from other towers. In the first scenario, the increased power to the radio might hold a signal well enough to eliminate the need for more frequent and more power hungry searching for and switching between towers and bands, but in the second scenario, the signal and lock is not strong enough to keep the phone from frequent searching. This is all conjecture from a guy who only had 1 year and 2 days of Electrical Engineering in college, and the electrical stuff didn't start until the 2nd year.

Thanks, Robrecht

Last edited:

rabernet

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Why would anyone do that? Doesn't everyone plug it in then go to bed and take it off in the morning?

just curious.:confused:

No.

I honestly don't have an available plug in the bedroom to charge in the bedroom, and the phone is used as an alarm clock.

I charge to 100%, then before going to bed, I switch to airplane mode to conserve the battery, but still use the alarm. I lose maybe 3% overnight with it in airplane mode.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
You might consider putting your device in Airplane mode, then rebooting, then go to bed... it will not start up any of those apps that work with data because it's in Airplane mode after a reboot.... at least that is what I learned the last time I did a long plane trip and used up a lot of battery, then did the above on the return trip and had great battery life on the way home, even using my device for games most of the way home.

Reactions: zero neck

mzazthang

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
so mad!

i did the update and now im pissed! i had occasional re-boots but now ALL the time and the battery is WORSE than ever!!!!!!!!!! they better bring that update fast to fix this! supp to be before the end of june! so angry.....

GMoGoody

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Hey Just so you know MR2.5 has just leaked for rooted devices. Some are saying it corrects this battery issue, improves the 4G Download, but some are having 4G upload hits

dms76

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I still might do the manual update. The biggest reason is GPS. The reception sucks and I rely on the GPS a lot. Yea I get reboots, but only like once every couple days. Battery life has never been that great, but it's not a huge issue for me. I'm not usually away from a charger long enough to worry about it.

I didn't want to do the manual update cause the update was supposedly coming out the 15th, but of course it didn't happen. I decided not to listen to rumors anymore, cause when it comes to Verizon the rumors are almost never correct.

GPS isn't much better then the original release firmware and you still can have reboots with MR2.
I had a terrible time locking my GPS with both google maps and telenav. It took twenty minutes for the GPS to finally lock into position before i could use it. I've also had random reboots while using data features of the phone on MR2 Planejane v3.

Forgetful

Energy hoarder
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
OP-

Do you have the battery issues when switched to 3G?
I've noticed that more people (including me) are getting strange 4G battery drains.

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I also have been on MR2 since 6/10, not a single reboot after getting at least 3 a day on MR1. I hadn't even tested the GPS until this weekend and was stunned at the difference. What used to take 2 or 3 minutes was now locking on in 5 seconds.. I haven't noticed a difference in battery life (standard), for me its about the same..

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana