Update for VZW G2 root?

rayden8

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
This G2 is the first phone I've rooted, so I'm still trying to learn about the process. My understanding is that you can't take an OTA update if you want to maintain your root. I just got a notification last night that my G2 is ready for an update, and I'm currently rooted without any custom ROMs. I'm trying to understand how updates can happen with a root. However, I can't find any mention here or on XDA if there are plans for any kind of updated root. Are updated roots typical? Do rooted VZW G2 users expect to update if they are not currently flashing any other ROMs?

Thank you

dcleveng

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I think there a couple things to keep in mind here.

First, if you are rooted with a custom boot loader you DO NOT want to take an OTA. From what I understand you could brick your phone.

If you are just stock rooted without a custom boot loader, then yes you can take OTA and you may or may not lose root depending on the update. There are some caveats however, for example if you have uninstalled some applications that were included with the stock rom (which you can do since you are rooted), then the update may fail because those files are missing.

I'm certainly no expert, but from what I've read and experienced those are some considerations with OTA updates.

heggood

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I rooted last night and did the hotspot provision mod to get my free hotspot going, Im definitely not taking any chances of losing root, nor losing my free hotspot, plus the update may cause more problems than good. I. am always hesitate to take new updates, specially when my device works exactly like it should. New updates are often buggy, and with Verizon (as with any carrier) you never know when it may be fixed. Good luck whatever you decide.

Posted via Android Central App

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
First this update is better second restore any bloat u removed and restore the hotshot. Secondly use voodoo keeper to preserve root. As long u didn't flash a custom recovery you'll b good.

Sent from Bad Azz VZW LG G2 Cyan Tapatalk

rayden8

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Forgot to mention I do have TWRP installed, but it isn't critical for me to maintain. Also, I'm using the Hotspot mod, which I really want to maintain. From what I'm hearing it doesn't sound like I should do the update. However, this update reminder is persistent, and I don't see any way to turn it off indefinitely

essjay50

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm in the same boat as rayden8 above and still am unclear on the options at this point. i did push back the verizon update to 4:00am tomorrow, so i have a little time here.
if i do nothing, will the update go through? or will it stop when it finds out i am rooted and have been a bad boy and spank me??
from what i read on the google kitkat site, i dont really need those 'features', but there's probably more to it than what they publish and i don't want to screw myself in the long run.
does this happen every time google/verizon does another push with updates? ie: a scramble trying to assess its worthiness and to revert to the original state.
i am new to all this and have accomplished what i set out to do with the hotspot and have delayed any other changes until this update to 4.4 matter has been resolved.
help would be appreciated....thanks in advance

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
With twrp DO NOT FLASH the update it'll mess up. U need stock recovery
Forgot to mention I do have TWRP installed, but it isn't critical for me to maintain. Also, I'm using the Hotspot mod, which I really want to maintain. From what I'm hearing it doesn't sound like I should do the update. However, this update reminder is persistent, and I don't see any way to turn it off indefinitely

Shaun Watson

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
I am rooted with stock recovery. I've removed some Verizon apps and no longer have them. I have the hotspot provision but replaced it with the stock one. I keep getting the error code. Any suggestions?

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I am rooted with stock recovery. I've removed some Verizon apps and no longer have them. I have the hotspot provision but replaced it with the stock one. I keep getting the error code. Any suggestions?

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Are you trying to update? If so, you need to unfreeze or re-install the Verizon system apps

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
I learned to just flash one of the stock deblooted rom. You could flash your device back to stock. Only way to know u have apps.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I learned to just flash one of the stock deblooted rom. You could flash your device back to stock. Only way to know u have apps.

This. Didn't even think about it lol

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty