Verizon LG G2: Very upset after KitKat update. What can I do aside from venting to you guys?!!

Mizzou87

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
After the update, my texts will not go through more often than not. I can't connect to some websites. Facebook often has timeout issues. I can't even run Speedtest at times as it will say connection server issues or something like that. All this while having 4 or 5 bars in 4G LTE. Anyone else experiencing the same issues? Any suggestions other than throwing it out of my FJ Cruiser at 80 mph? Okay...done venting for now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pantothenic

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Re: Very upset after kk update. What can I do aside from venting to you guys?!!

Same here. In addition, battery life is worse, my knock-on no longer works, and Google Play Music is broken. So glad Verizon took the longest of the four major carriers to test this update. Oh, and they disabled the LG backup software so doing a factory reset is a total headache. I'm considering selling this phone and getting a G5 once they sort out the camera issues with it.

Pantothenic

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site

Oops, I meant an S5. I guess my brain is subconsciously rejecting the idea of a Samsung phone.

AZDroid

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

The only issue I have had is with play music, it's a bit annoying when it stops playing mid-track, but not bad enough to make me hate the phone.

Knock-on/off works perfectly, battery life is the same as before, and no connection or texting issues at all like mentioned in the op.

Bummer that you're having such issues, wonder what causes some to have them and others not.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

The KitKat update is not bad, it is actually very good... unfortunately what happens when you make a major operating system change like this, from JellyBean 4.2.2 to KitKat 4.4.2, even though a lot of stuff on the surface looks the same, under the hood it is very different, and some apps and configurations just don't like OS change, they mess up causing the issues you see here, quite commonly in fact. The solution in most cases is to do a factory reset, and if that fails get a warranty replacement.

Switching to an S5 so you don't have to do a factory reset isn't really a viable option, you will lose your data anyway. Do you thing Samsung, HTC, Motorola, or any other manufacturer of phone has any better luck with an upgrade? No, they don't... They cannot test the upgrade on every possible device for every possible combination of software and configurations, it is just not possible, problems will occur, Every major, and many minor, updates have issues with some of the devices irregardless of who it is, I remember when Samsung updated ICS to JB on the S3, what a fiasco for some people, WAY more issues with that than with the G2 even across all variants.

Final thought: F.A.C.T.O.R.Y...R.E.S.E.T and then enjoy your device again, and if you don't or still have troubles, go to your carrier/vendor and get a replacement, every G2 should still be under warranty.

NashMob1968

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site

FDR is not that much of a headache. Certainly less that getting a new phone. Fixes many problems.

Mizzou87

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site

Thank you. I guess I will give it a try. I am going to make the assumption that Backup Assistant will work before I do it.

NashMob1968

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site

I've never used Backup Assistant. Contacts are backed up to Google along with apps of course. Backed up 5gb of pics and 8gb of music to computer and then loaded it back on after reset. Not too bad of a process. Hope it helps with your phone.

scottcraft

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Since I've updated to kitkat last week my battery life has been fairly poor. I've been putting off an fdr, but I'll do it tomorrow. It's a pain, but I know it should help a lot.

somenothingness

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
FDR is a good way to get back to the proper functioning, but if your install of the update was a failure, then a replacement is the only option. You cannot fix or FDR a bad install. You have to have a new device and install fresh. Unless you're into the rooting game, for which, most aren't.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
FDR is a good way to get back to the proper functioning, but if your install of the update was a failure, then a replacement is the only option. You cannot fix or FDR a bad install. You have to have a new device and install fresh. Unless you're into the rooting game, for which, most aren't.

You do not have to root or mod your phone at all to reinstall the OS on the G2, it is quite simple and I have done it several times. The complete factory image is available, and it totally wipes, repartitions, reformats, and reloads the entire device in about 15 minutes.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

JJ Jones

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Since I've updated to kitkat last week my battery life has been fairly poor. I've been putting off an fdr, but I'll do it tomorrow. It's a pain, but I know it should help a lot.

On 4.2 my battery would drain 4% sitting in my vehicle during an 8 hour work shift.
Immediately after the update, it drained 17% during the same 8 hour shift.
Did an FDR and things are much better. Last night, it only lost 1% during my 8 hours.

Posted via Android Central App

Mizzou87

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
On 4.2 my battery would drain 4% sitting in my vehicle during an 8 hour work shift.
Did an FDR and things are much better. Last night, it only lost 1% during my 8 hours.

Were or are you having problems sending texts or connecting to websites when on 4GE? Thanks for your help.

scottcraft

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site

Hopefully I'll have the same results. Fixing to reset now.

somenothingness

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
You do not have to root or mod your phone at all to reinstall the OS on the G2, it is quite simple and I have done it several times. The complete factory image is available, and it totally wipes, repartitions, reformats, and reloads the entire device in about 15 minutes.

How did you reload the entire factory image? What steps did you take and what software did you use?

somenothingness

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
That's a tad bit involved for most anyone who wants to "just make their phone work" and who is outside of the rooting community. I mean, i understand the idea there, and had even seen that post and site before, but when you get into having to download a few files and apps to get this process going, IDK, I guess just getting a replacement is easier for most folks.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
That's a tad bit involved for most anyone who wants to "just make their phone work" and who is outside of the rooting community. I mean, i understand the idea there, and had even seen that post and site before, but when you get into having to download a few files and apps to get this process going, IDK, I guess just getting a replacement is easier for most folks.

To each there own... I get that. All depends on your prowness and situation I guess, where I am it is not unheard of to be 3 hours from the closest Verizon corporate store, and being in or near the Bakken oilfield means most stores can't keep some stuff in stock either (smartphones are one of these items), many people have to deal with customer service and wait a few days or more for a replacement... In those instances, spending a few hours tinkering can pay off. Everyone's situation is unique I guess.

KeepItReal

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I have anyways performed a FDR after any software update. Just makes me feel better, and that there might be junk left around. I have anyways had a good experience with all my phone's, yes, even my first Android the HTC Droid Eris! Bad experience on one phone was the Gingerbread update to my Samsung Fascinate...the battery life went to crap and no FDR could fix it. Another suggestion is you may have a marginal SIM card. Go to Verizon and get one for free. Still recommend FDR even after new SIM. SIM first, FDR second.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87