App Icons: Apps vs home screen, etc

bertsirkin

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm new to Android, coming from an iPhone, and am confused by the different icon groupings. Right now, I have an Apps icon at the bottom right of all of my screens. It takes me to a complete (unsorted) listing of all of my apps and widgets. I understand this.

But, I also have 6 app sceens - the navigation looks like this: __ __ ^ __ __ __ (where the ^ is the Home icon)

I'm not sure how the first two screens got created, but they have duplicate app/widget icons.

The 3rd screen appears to be my "home" screen - it has a weather and google search widget on it as well as 4 icons in the middle and 5 icons at the bottom (the same 5 icons that appear on all of my screens).

The next 3 screens are screens that I constructed - with folder icons, app icons, etc.

Question #1. What makes the "home" screen different from the other screens??
Question #2: I'm coming from an iPhone, where there was one set of icons. that could be reorganized as desired. I don't understand why there are 2 sets of icon screens: "Apps" (the icon with 16 white squares), which appear to be non-editable other than moving things around, and the screens I create. What is the purpose of having these 2 sets of screens?

Thanks,
Bert

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm new to Android, coming from an iPhone, and am confused by the different icon groupings. Right now, I have an Apps icon at the bottom right of all of my screens. It takes me to a complete (unsorted) listing of all of my apps and widgets. I understand this.

But, I also have 6 app sceens - the navigation looks like this: __ __ ^ __ __ __ (where the ^ is the Home icon)

I'm not sure how the first two screens got created, but they have duplicate app/widget icons.

The 3rd screen appears to be my "home" screen - it has a weather and google search widget on it as well as 4 icons in the middle and 5 icons at the bottom (the same 5 icons that appear on all of my screens).

The next 3 screens are screens that I constructed - with folder icons, app icons, etc.

Question #1. What makes the "home" screen different from the other screens??
Question #2: I'm coming from an iPhone, where there was one set of icons. that could be reorganized as desired. I don't understand why there are 2 sets of icon screens: "Apps" (the icon with 16 white squares), which appear to be non-editable other than moving things around, and the screens I create. What is the purpose of having these 2 sets of screens?

Thanks,
Bert

first off .....hmm where to start.....
- the "home screen" is the screen that you return to when you press the physical "home" button at the bottom of the phone. i set mine up with the date and time but like to have it clean so i can see my live wallpaper.
- you can add up to 7 pages to the left and right of your home screen. from the home screen touch the "menu" button on the bottom left of the phone. you will select edit page, and that will bring up a screen that you can add pages(click the +), delete pages (press, hold, and drag up to the remove at the top)...you set which one you want to be the home page by pressing on the home symbol on the page.
- the phone comes with pages with apps and widgets already on but i always start by getting rid of them and starting fresh. you get rid of icons and widget by press, hold, and drag to the trashcan at top of screen. this does not delete them just removes them from the page.
- the app icon at the bottom right takes you to your "apps drawer" its where your apps live all of the time regardless of what you put on the "home pages". you can rearrange their order whenyou are in the apps drawer press the menu button and select "view type"....i like to use alphabetical grid
- on all of the homepages there are icons at the bottom that are "docked" and therefore accessible from any page. you can have 5 of these to the left of the "apps icon". you add or change icons to this bar by adding the icons you want to the page(from the app drawer press and hold the icon), then press and hold the icon and drag it down the spot you want it docked in. it will replace the one that is there.

heres a beginners guide....i'm sure there's more out there....

http://www.howtogeek.com/163624/wel...inners-guide-to-getting-started-with-android/

TheMacs

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to android bertsirkin. You're finding out that there is a tremendous amount of flexibility in Android that does not exist in iOS.

Generally, your home screen is where you'll want to place the apps/widgets you use the most.

The apps drawer, accessed by tapping the icon with the 16 white squares, is not editable, save for deleting apps.

Good advice by karsdroid. I'd also encourage you to head to Youtube and watch a bunch of 'intro' videos. I'm sure there are a weath of them, and you'll pick up all sorts of tips/tricks that you want to implement.

Of course if you have any more questions, folks here are very helpful.

Enjoy

wrich2005

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to android bertsirkin. You're finding out that there is a tremendous amount of flexibility in Android that does not exist in iOS.

Generally, your home screen is where you'll want to place the apps/widgets you use the most.

The apps drawer, accessed by tapping the icon with the 16 white squares, is not editable, save for deleting apps.

Good advice by karsdroid. I'd also encourage you to head to Youtube and watch a bunch of 'intro' videos. I'm sure there are a weath of them, and you'll pick up all sorts of tips/tricks that you want to implement.

Of course if you have any more questions, folks here are very helpful.

Enjoy

Is it mandatory that any thread that contains the letters ios that some kind of bashing flaming or something has to occur? They each have their advantages let it go.

It's a bit strange getting used to widgets first because you're not used to information at a glance really so I always would overlook them myself and fill my home screens with apps only. Just to build on some of the info you've already gotten, I'd try putting down some widgets before you fill the screens with apps. They're actually really great once you start using them

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Is it mandatory that any thread that contains the letters ios that some kind of bashing flaming or something has to occur? They each have their advantages let it go.

It's a bit strange getting used to widgets first because you're not used to information at a glance really so I always would overlook them myself and fill my home screens with apps only. Just to build on some of the info you've already gotten, I'd try putting down some widgets before you fill the screens with apps. They're actually really great once you start using them

seriously.......ummmm i don't believe any "bashing" or anything of the sort was going on.....just folks trying to be helpful to someone who is new.

there is indeed alot of screen flexibility with android, not a bash, just a fact, and its confusing for people switching over. might want to stay out of the android forums if the term flexibility is going to send you into a spin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junkie XL