Another way to keep unlimited

asudevil

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Long time iphone user coming back to android. The advice I'm giving to somewhat dependent on what customer service rep one gets. I added a line to keep my unlimited data, switched phones once added and suspended the new line. Fortunately, my rep told me that once the 14 days were over, I can assume the new line( with contract ) and keep my unlimited data. Essentially I am taking over the contract and keeping my number. Let me know if anyone tries this and is successful.

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Long time iphone user coming back to android. The advice I'm giving to somewhat dependent on what customer service rep one gets. I added a line to keep my unlimited data, switched phones once added and suspended the new line. Fortunately, my rep told me that once the 14 days were over, I can assume the new line( with contract ) and keep my unlimited data. Essentially I am taking over the contract and keeping my number. Let me know if anyone tries this and is successful.

I'm a little confused, you suspend the line for 14 days, but after 14 days you have to turn it back on correct? Your month to month will still be a certain price though right?

asudevil

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
I suspended the new line after I switched the note 3 to my unlimited data line. After 14 days( I cant return it) I assume the contract of the suspended line. I keep my number, plan, and unlimited data. I just assume responsibility of the contract.

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I suspended the new line after I switched the note 3 to my unlimited data line. After 14 days( I cant return it) I assume the contract of the suspended line. I keep my number, plan, and unlimited data. I just assume responsibility of the contract.

Ok, I'm actually just going to cancel my 2nd line after this month. I figure I'd rather pay $250-ish for getting the line added, then another $350 early termination fee, which brings the price to about $600 instead of paying the $60-ish a month for 24 months ($1440 total).

john248

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm probably saving a bit more than $50 with that $90 discount. My numbers didn't really take too much into consideration.

ETF for a smartphone is $350. GN3 is $300 on a 2 year contract and $700 full price. So really, it's $650 vs $700 for full price. Then you have to account for the 1 month of service on the other line that you're saying you're paying. The Verizon30 discount expired a week ago.

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
ETF for a smartphone is $350. GN3 is $300 on a 2 year contract and $700 full price. So really, it's $650 vs $700 for full price. Then you have to account for the 1 month of service on the other line that you're saying you're paying. The Verizon30 discount expired a week ago.

Yeah, I actually got in on the discount, which you couldn't if you bought it outright from what I understand. Once I've deactivated the phone, I'm going to ask if I can get a refund on my activation fee as well (my figures actually include the fee, not sure if yours do). It's only a $50-$90 savings (unless you figure in not paying it all in 1 month means interest in your favor), but I figure any money in my pocket is money not going towards Verizon's profit of billions.

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site

you have 14 days to return the note3.....am i the only one not getting what you are saying? i have a dumbphone line that is $10 a month, my 15yr old uses that phone. I routinely upgrade to that line and then switch the phone to my unlimited line, immediately dropping the dumbphone line back to no data and $10 a month. not sure what the 14days is for or why you would suspend a line?

oh wait.....are you saying you have just a single line on your account and that you are buying the note 3 on a whole new separate single line, and then will combine that new single line in with your old single line? i'm not sure how that could happen since the old "family plans" are no longer available. seems like they would want to you add it in to a new "family share" tiered plan. i'm also not sure how they could "suspend" a new line that you received a subsidized phone for.....i think i'd be worried....unless i really am still not getting what you are saying.....

john248

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I actually got in on the discount, which you couldn't if you bought it outright from what I understand. Once I've deactivated the phone, I'm going to ask if I can get a refund on my activation fee as well (my figures actually include the fee, not sure if yours do). It's only a $50-$90 savings (unless you figure in not paying it all in 1 month means interest in your favor), but I figure any money in my pocket is money not going towards Verizon's profit of billions.

Yes, I paid $30 to activate. I think the savings is minimal depending on how they charge you for the 1 month of service. It's definitely great that you got in on the Verizon30 as I feel the same way as you when it comes to saving any $. That coupon code is over now, so IMO, there's no incentive to do this really.

you have 14 days to return the note3.....am i the only one not getting what you are saying? i have a dumbphone line that is $10 a month, my 15yr old uses that phone. I routinely upgrade to that line and then switch the phone to my unlimited line, immediately dropping the dumbphone line back to no data and $10 a month. not sure what the 14days is for or why you would suspend a line?

oh wait.....are you saying you have just a single line on your account and that you are buying the note 3 on a whole new separate single line, and then will combine that new single line in with your old single line? i'm not sure how that could happen since the old "family plans" are no longer available. seems like they would want to you add it in to a new "family share" tiered plan. i'm also not sure how they could "suspend" a new line that you received a subsidized phone for.....i think i'd be worried....unless i really am still not getting what you are saying.....

I took it to mean he started a new line. I did the same as you and just upgraded the dumb line.

asudevil

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
I had a single line and added another. Just spoke to the customer service rep today and she told me it was no problem. I will take over the contract of the suspended line but keep my unlimited data and same plan. Paid a total of 256.00 for my note 3 after using the Verizon30 code. After selling my iphone 5 64 gb for $475.00, I think I came out ahead. Best thing is that since I will be in contract my unlimited data wont change for 2 years!

James Weesner

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
How I got a new Note 3 at the promotional upgrade or new line price and kept unlimited data. In our situation we wanted to add a line for our son and give him my Droid Razr. I went into my local Verizon store and asked them if I could add a line with the Note 3 on it and then swap phone numbers so that I had the new Note 3 with my same phone number I had on my Razr with unlimited data. They said no problem and also verified that my unlimited data would stay intact. ( unlimited data is tied to the phone number and I didn't upgrade the RAZR, I added a new phone to our account which has my wife and daughters phones on it each with 2 per month plans) I added a new line with the Note 3 on it. And then after it was activated Verizon swapped phone numbers so that my old device phone number went to the Note 3 and the new line's phone number went to my old phone. My unlimited data stayed intact on my line with my original old phone number and I have my new note 3. Did the two weeks ago.

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
maybe I didnt have enough coffee today but it sounds so complicated......I ordered the phone on another line, when it arrived I put my sim card in and changed nothing.....done! Still have unlimited and the other line is still a dumbphone at $10/month

ddhockey

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
wish i'd read this before upgrading - verizon offered me some new 6 gig maxx plan though so i'm no longer unlimited, but i am getting 6 gig for 30.00 instead of 2 - there was a bump up to a 8 gig maxx for 50.00 - was told it is a promotional offer and not applicable to all but i don't see how i would rate any better than anyone else.

not a huge data user and with fast wifi at home and now on phone i can only hope.....

asudevil

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
An update. Was notified that my line that I upgraded on was terminated and I was put in contract on my primary line. My account shows that I was credited 350.00. All in all a good deal.

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

OKATVRIDER

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Awesome....i just switched to Verizon from tmobile....After reading this, I think I will add a new line later down the road so I can keep getting upgraded phones every year instead 2 years.....

Posted via Android Central App