International Useage

Ctrl_U_Nao

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Good afternoon all!

I have read a few (and by few, I mean infinity ;P) threads about the Verizon Note 3. I would just like to ask a simple question...

I already talked to Verizon support and they have confirmed that ANY 4G phone they currently sell is able to be used internationally with an international SIM. I think it was due to some requirement with the band or something, if I remember correctly. My question is this:

Adding all the pros/cons of each carrier, which would YOU use for an overseas tour? Verizon, or T-mobile

I am just about to head overseas to Kuwait and want to know which of those two is going to be a better option if I want simplicity and ease of use, as well as semi-fast data. Thanks in advance!!

Edit: Trying to type too fast..."Usage" not "Useage"....but whatever.

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
My question is this:

Adding all the pros/cons of each carrier, which would YOU use for an overseas tour? Verizon, or T-mobile

Neither. Get a SIM from a carrier over there and it'll cost way less to use your phone since you'll use that country's networks.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Ctrl_U_Nao

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Neither. Get a SIM from a carrier over there and it'll cost way less to use your phone since you'll use that country's networks.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Well I guess that's what I meant. Doesn't it still matter who the phone was originally made for or something like that? I thought certain ones worked better overseas, even though they are all unlocked. I will be using a SIM from over there, that's an absolute.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Good afternoon all!

I have read a few (and by few, I mean infinity ;P) threads about the Verizon Note 3. I would just like to ask a simple question...

I already talked to Verizon support and they have confirmed that ANY 4G phone they currently sell is able to be used internationally with an international SIM. I think it was due to some requirement with the band or something, if I remember correctly. My question is this:

I am just about to head overseas to Kuwait and want to know which of those two is going to be a better option if I want simplicity and ease of use, as well as semi-fast data. Thanks in advance!!

Edit: Trying to type too fast..."Usage" not "Useage"....but whatever.

You were misinformed. As of this post, Verizon's website is still selling the LG revolution, lucid 2, enact, pantech marauder which doesn't have gsm capabilites besides 4GLTE. So you should check to make sure. Also some were locked originally but later unlocked via update, so make sure you have the latest update.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Well I guess that's what I meant. Doesn't it still matter who the phone was originally made for or something like that? I thought certain ones worked better overseas, even though they are all unlocked. I will be using a SIM from over there, that's an absolute.

They are all unlocked but not all phones have gsm frequencies used by other carriers. The iPhone 5s /5c has the most frequency support

Ctrl_U_Nao

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
They are all unlocked but not all phones have gsm frequencies used by other carriers. The iPhone 5s /5c has the most frequency support

Understood. Thanks for the help. I have seen your posts around and they seem to be the closest thing to law. :) I'll take your word for it. I am of course having problems getting my data to work with my tmobile SIM, but I think I saw a thread about that so I'll check that out. Got around the activation hang a few minutes ago. Not sure if I could have fixed that by going to T-mobile, but I'll probably stop in there just to see what they have to say.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Understood. Thanks for the help. I have seen your posts around and they seem to be the closest thing to law. :) I'll take your word for it. I am of course having problems getting my data to work with my tmobile SIM, but I think I saw a thread about that so I'll check that out. Got around the activation hang a few minutes ago. Not sure if I could have fixed that by going to T-mobile, but I'll probably stop in there just to see what they have to say.

Note 3 should work just fine on tmobile, without 4GLTE. Well, 4GLTE works, but it won't auto switch to 4g/3g/2g and no voice when in 4GLTE mode.

Just be sure to set the apn settings

APN Settings
From any Home screen, tap the Menu key.
Tap System Settings.
Tap More settings .
Tap Mobile networks.
Tap Access Point Names.
If available, tap the T-Mobile US LTE APN (the bullet point fills with green). If not available, tap the + key at the bottom of the screen.
Note: To reset your APN settings, tap the Menu key and then tap Reset to default.
Verify and update the following settings for the Data APN:
Name: T-Mobile US LTE
APN: fast.t-mobile.com
Proxy: <Not set>
Port: <Not set>
Username: <Not set>
Password: <Not set>
Server: <Not set>
MMSC: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
MMS proxy: <Not set>
MMS port: <Not set>
MCC: 310
MNC: 260
Authentication type: <Not set>
APN type: <Not set> OR default,mms,supl
APN protocol: IPv6
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
Turn APN on/off: <greyed out unless there are multiple APN's>
Bearer: Unspecified
Mobile virtual network operator type: none
Mobile virtual network operator value: not set
Tap the Menu key.
Tap Save.
Tap the desired APN profile you want to use. The bullet point fills with green next to the APN profile.

Ctrl_U_Nao

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Note 3 should work just fine on tmobile, without 4GLTE. Well, 4GLTE works, but it won't auto switch to 4g/3g/2g and no voice when in 4GLTE mode.

Just be sure to set the apn settings

APN Settings
From any Home screen, tap the Menu key.
Tap System Settings.
Tap More settings .
Tap Mobile networks.
Tap Access Point Names.
If available, tap the T-Mobile US LTE APN (the bullet point fills with green). If not available, tap the + key at the bottom of the screen.
Note: To reset your APN settings, tap the Menu key and then tap Reset to default.
Verify and update the following settings for the Data APN:
Name: T-Mobile US LTE
APN: fast.t-mobile.com
Proxy: <Not set>
Port: <Not set>
Username: <Not set>
Password: <Not set>
Server: <Not set>
MMSC: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
MMS proxy: <Not set>
MMS port: <Not set>
MCC: 310
MNC: 260
Authentication type: <Not set>
APN type: <Not set> OR default,mms,supl
APN protocol: IPv6
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
Turn APN on/off: <greyed out unless there are multiple APN's>
Bearer: Unspecified
Mobile virtual network operator type: none
Mobile virtual network operator value: not set
Tap the Menu key.
Tap Save.
Tap the desired APN profile you want to use. The bullet point fills with green next to the APN profile.

Why are you so awesome? I just took it into the T-mobile store so they could screw around with the APN settings and he messed with it for like 15 minutes and finally gave up. Then I come back and hop on here and try what you said and it worked like a charm. 3G instantly...which is more than I was ever getting. I was on Edge even when it worked with my other phone. You own...bottom line.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Why are you so awesome? I just took it into the T-mobile store so they could screw around with the APN settings and he messed with it for like 15 minutes and finally gave up. Then I come back and hop on here and try what you said and it worked like a charm. 3G instantly...which is more than I was ever getting. I was on Edge even when it worked with my other phone. You own...bottom line.

That info was from their website mostly. I just made a few minor modifications. If you want 4GLTE, put it in lte/cdma mode, but if set to lte /cdma, you would not be able to get voice or any 4g/3g/2g. You can manually set it back to gsm or global mode

Vadim Grinshpun

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
Good afternoon all!

I am causiously optimistic about overseas usage of the Note 3, I've heard from Verizon people a yes, but I also read that rooted phone only can access secondary T-Mobile LTE, so not all netwroks are fully compatible, and IMO it would depend on the country to which you're headed. On a more cheerful note I have heard a first hand account of the Note 3 working in Dubai, and I have not heard of phone compatility issues in the region. Basically I am saying that unless the guy lied to me, and the phone indeed worked in Dubai, and I fully expect it to work in Kuwait.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I am causiously optimistic about overseas usage of the Note 3, I've heard from Verizon people a yes, but I also read that rooted phone only can access secondary T-Mobile LTE, so not all netwroks are fully compatible, and IMO it would depend on the country to which you're headed. On a more cheerful note I have heard a first hand account of the Note 3 working in Dubai, and I have not heard of phone compatility issues in the region. Basically I am saying that unless the guy lied to me, and the phone indeed worked in Dubai, and I fully expect it to work in Kuwait.

No root required for tmobile 4GLTE with the latest update. I have personally confirmed this. Prior to the latest update, root was required.

This is what the Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 supports :

Network: LTE, CDMA/1xEVDO Rev. A (800/1900 MHz)
LTE B13/4 700/1700
Global Network: EDGE/GSM (850/900/1800/1900), HSPA/UMTS(850/900/1900/2100)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87