Data connection horrible since KitKat upgrade

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I did the OTA upgrade when it became available. Since then data connection has been horrible. In places where I got 3-4 LTE bars, I get "No Data Connection" or, sometimes, a 3G connection at best. This is very frustrating. I've change data selection to LTE/CDMA instead of Global without any change in connectivity. Sometimes a reboot will get me 4G in these places but that's a harsh workaround.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Diabl0

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I did the OTA upgrade when it became available. Since then data connection has been horrible. In places where I got 3-4 LTE bars, I get "No Data Connection" or, sometimes, a 3G connection at best. This is very frustrating. I've change data selection to LTE/CDMA instead of Global without any change in connectivity. Sometimes a reboot will get me 4G in these places but that's a harsh workaround.

My phone is doing the exact same thing. It's very frustrating. I'm thinking I may have to do a factory reset, but I really don't want to. So far all KitKat has gotten me is worse signal and horrible battery life.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

If you haven't already done so, consider a factory reset of the device. Often times it may be necessary to reset after a big update.

If there still isn't a fix then know that toggling airplane mode will give you the same effect as a reboot, without the actual reboot. That still isn't an acceptable permanent solution, but should be used in the interim until a fix if released - assuming that it's a known issue with the update.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
If you haven't already done so, consider a factory reset of the device. Often times it may be necessary to reset after a big update.

If there still isn't a fix then know that toggling airplane mode will give you the same effect as a reboot, without the actual reboot. That still isn't an acceptable permanent solution, but should be used in the interim until a fix if released - assuming that it's a known issue with the update.

I'm going to do a factory reset tonight. Doing the Helium backup now. I'll give it a few days and report back.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I second the factory data reset. If that doesn't work, contact Verizon for a replacement

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I did the factory reset. Unfortunately, Helium will no longer back up to SD card so I had to back up to the internal memory. Unfortunately, I forgot to copy that folder to my PC before resetting. So, this was a real cold reset. Bummer.

Signal seems to be better so far, but it's only been a day so the jury is out. However, I notice that battery life isn't as good. I got a new OEM battery today hoping that it was the battery, not the phone. We'll see.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Weird, I was able to backup to sd on kk from Helium

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Ashley Weinreb

May 22, 2014
Visit site
does yours sometimes don't let you text while you were on 4G or just wifi because everytime I try to text and I don't want to use my data I just want to use just the phone cause there's ways you can text without using data but mine won't let me ever since the new software it messed up my phone really bad

Ashley Weinreb

May 22, 2014
Visit site
ever since the new software on my phone its been acting so weird I can send a text message without both things being on the wifi and the data before the software I can use only the wifi to send text messages even without the wifi I could still send text messages and receive them perfectly fine but this new software doesn't allow me to do any of that so I want it off my phone how do I get it off my phone

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I don't text through Verizon, I have Google Voice and all of my texting is done through Voice. I have had no troubles texting.