Will my Verizon Note 3 phone work in China or overseas?

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
The Verizon sales reps tell me all Note 3s by Verizon should work fine overseas, say in China for example. Simply go to a shop say in China and swap out the SIM card. Does that reaaaaally work? I've learned to not fully trust sales talk from people trying to take my credit card, haha!

Does it make any difference if I buy a Note 3 at Best Buy that is branded by Verizon? Should it still work overseas by swapping out the SIM card?

Has anyone out there actually tried doing this by experience overseas?

Thanks! Casey

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Sim swap works. You should put it in global mode and set the apn. My note 3 has been overseas and it worked

Sent from my XT1028 using Tapatalk

Lactose The Intolerant

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
You might also looking into Verizon's Global Travel Program if you don't want to take your "baby" oversears... Global Travel Program - Verizon Wireless -- essentially it's a fleet of free 'loaner phones' that work overseas. The loaner is set for your phone number, voice mail, etc and you transfer your contacts (you are saving your contacts to Google rather than the phone itself, right...?) --

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Verizon's global rates can be very expensive, and can exceed $20, 000 per gb

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Is that *really* FIVE zeros or did you typo???

Notes from Deb's Note 3

Should be 4 zeros. about $20k. The exact amount for 1gb would be $20,971.52.

It is $20.48 per mb x 1,024 gb per mb. If you don't sign up for the global data feature, that is what would be paying.

geveteza.jpg

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
That's pre-pay pre-loaded. If anyone was that stupid (to buy that much beforehand) .....

Still the Global Data allowance is $250 per gb roughly. That's $1,000,000.00 for 4000gb!

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
That's pre-pay pre-loaded. If anyone was that stupid (to buy that much beforehand) .....

Still the Global Data allowance is $250 per gb roughly. That's $1,000,000.00 for 4000gb!

That is Verizon post paid, applicable to the plan that I am on now. If I do nothing and go abroad, then I would have to pay the $20,000 per gb rate, and it would be billed to my account(not paid beforehand).

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
That is Verizon post paid, applicable to the plan that I am on now. If I do nothing and go abroad, then I would have to pay the $20,000 per gb rate, and it would be billed to my account(not paid beforehand).

Gotcha. Wouldn't that come under unreasonable charges/behaviour though in a court. Who knows, but wow!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Gotcha. Wouldn't that come under unreasonable charges/behaviour though in a court. Who knows, but wow!

Probably if you called Verizon with $10k bill, then they would make an adjustment,but still expect to be out a good chunk of money. They do send you a text telling you what the rate is whenever go to a new country.

The thing is Americans are used to paying by gb, some might not realize that it says $20.48 per mb, not gb.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Probably if you called Verizon with $10k bill, then they would make an adjustment,but still expect to be out a good chunk of money. They do send you a text telling you what the rate is whenever go to a new country.

The thing is Americans are used to paying by gb, some might not realize that it says $20.48 per mb, not gb.

I wonder how many travelling customers get caught with this every week, and what the highest bill was.
They should put say a $500 data cap, and make you ring cs to agree and pay for more.

Excessive European roaming charges are about to be stopped and standardised within the European Union, as far as I heard.

If any Verizon customer was caught with a mega data bill after a trip, I'd love to know.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

JeankimMedia

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
Hey dpham!

Can you go over just how to make it work? I am taking my Note 3 to Indonesia and plan to purchase a sim card there. Do I have to have my phone unlocked before going overseas...or will it be ok not to do it? Also... I do not currently have service on my Note 3 for I switched my number to another phone. Will that affect anything?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Hey dpham!

Can you go over just how to make it work? I am taking my Note 3 to Indonesia and plan to purchase a sim card there. Do I have to have my phone unlocked before going overseas...or will it be ok not to do it? Also... I do not currently have service on my Note 3 for I switched my number to another phone. Will that affect anything?

You just need to edit the apn with the local carrier's information.

The phone is factory sim unlocked, no need to do anything.

You do not need to currently have service on the line