Note 4.. I'll hang on to my 3 for now.

kctony

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Not sure what I was expecting in terms of improvements in the note 4, but I'm not seeing enough there for me to rest my 3 and take the plunge. Sure the display, camera and a pen look more refined but incremental imo. The upgrade between the 2 and 3 seemed huge and worth going for. Again, think I'll keep rocking my three which is arguably the best phone I've ever owned.

Its actually harder than it appears. I make it look easy.

AuburnGrad

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Agreed.

I think the Note 4 and especially the Edge are nice, and have some improved functions, but not worth the cost to change in my opinion. I had looked at selling mine right before the launch, and could have gotten over $300 for it, and that would have almost covered half of out of pocket cost. I figure I will just wait out the Note 5.

The S Gear on the other hand, I did like, and that was where the bigger jump seemed to be.

dipkid

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
From all the prelaunch information I had read, I was lead to believe the note 4 was going to be a major improvement to the note 3 which i currently have and completely love. The note 3 tech spec wise is the best phone I have seen come to market. But as I have noticed in watching the phone market throughout the time of phones being developed I have noticed a trend. It seems that if they(most cell phone company developers) continue with the phone trend they skip a year for major improvements. For example the beginning of the note series the first note phone was a great phone, the note 2 was just barely improved. Then comes along the the note 3 and it is vastly improved. So in conclusion I have a strong believe that the note 5 if they continue the note phone series will be a vast improvement to the note 3 and note 4. But as always only time will tell.

Spacemaker24

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
After researching the Note 4 for a few days I have decided to keep my Note 3 for another year.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I think the Note 2 to 3 was incremental as well. Same type of upgrades IMO. My only decision is whether I am staying with Verizon. Most likely, I will. So, since I am on Edge, it's a no brainer for me. If they would allow unlockable phones like the new Moto X, it might be more of a decision to make.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

dipkid

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
I think the Note 2 to 3 was incremental as well. Same type of upgrades IMO. My only decision is whether I am staying with Verizon. Most likely, I will. So, since I am on Edge, it's a no brainer for me. If they would allow unlockable phones like the new Moto X, it might be more of a decision to make.

You actually can unlock the phones you just have to pay money to do it. and it usually cost anywhere from 30 -80 dollars.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
You actually can unlock the phones you just have to pay money to do it. and it usually cost anywhere from 30 -80 dollars.
The Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 is factory sim unlocked. I wouldn't be surprised if the Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4 would come factory sim unlocked as well. Verizon is the only carrier to do this. Other carriers typically sell their phones sim locked from the factory. Though they will unlock once you meet certain criteria,if you don't want to pay for the unlock code

Sent from my LG G Pad 8.3

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

The Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II and Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 are factory sim unlocked. The Verizon moto x is also factory sim unlocked. Keep in mind that it might not be fully supported by another carrier.

Sent from my LG G Pad 8.3

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site

I was actually referring to the bootloader. If they would sell an unlocked bootloader Moto X, it could sway me some, but since that won't happen it would only be an option if I left Verizon. I didn't feel a need to unlock the Note 3. It probably would have risked voiding my Edge agreement though.

Cringey

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone,

My Note 2's charge port is dying and a warranty replacement was approved and I am getting a refurb one in exchange.
If I could at BB this weekend do their early upgrade they have advertised in my local store should I trade in for the Note 3?
I figure the GN2 trade in value will be at its best now before the 4's release. Or should I just hang on to the refurb 2 till my normal upgrade time? (a few months from now)

Thank you.

dipkid

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone,

My Note 2's charge port is dying and a warranty replacement was approved and I am getting a refurb one in exchange.
If I could at BB this weekend do their early upgrade they have advertised in my local store should I trade in for the Note 3?
I figure the GN2 trade in value will be at its best now before the 4's release. Or should I just hang on to the refurb 2 till my normal upgrade time? (a few months from now)

Thank you.

in my personal opinion since you have a note 2 I would upgrade to the note 3 you will notice a major difference. The reason i think you should upgrade to the 3 and not the note 4 is because well the note 4 has just been released and its likely to still have glitches that have already been worked out on the note 3 plus the note 4 since it is brand new is naturally going to cost more. And also if you have seen the specs about the note 4 it is barely and improvement to the note 3 in my opinion and not worth the extra money that a new phone would cost. But my final thing is that if you do upgrade to the note 3 you would only be waiting for about a year and the note 5 if they continue the series will be coming out and it will if history takes its course as i hope it does the note 5 will be a major improvement to the note 3 and 4.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I see the Note 4 differently. I find its improvements compelling over the Note 3. The improved S pen makes it a much better work device (I use mine for work as well as personal), The fingerprint scanner that can open specific applications directly depending on the finger print used to unlock the screen is another work related plus. The improved screen resolution is a plus for me for personal media use. The improved and easier to use multi-window features are a big plus.The improved double radios for better and stronger signal is a important feature. What I like about Samsung products is that they seem to understand that improving great features to meet customers needs and wants is more important that WOW factor gimmicks. Just my 2 cents.

Lefty Drummer

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I was one of those who had an N2 and wondered if upgrading to an N3 was worthwhile. After four months I can unequivocally say it was absolutely worth it. However, the N4 does not necessarily seem worthwhile from an N3, at least from a far right now. Might feel different once I see it. And this might seem like a trivial thing to most, but I love the dock mode using my N3 with my iBolt car dock. On my wife's S5, Samsung removed the dock mode, and along with it, audio out via USB. I love that, only need to plug single cable in. I'll bet it's been removed from the N4 as well. I won't call it a total deal breaker, but it's a feature I really like. I'm worried that the next N3 update, whether 4.4.4 or L, they might remove it from this phone. Just my two cents...

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I am keeping my note3. There is always going to be new and better. I did see improve from the Note2 but I am very happy with the Note3 . I do have an issue with it going into landscape mode but other than that no problems. I am on the edge program but as of now not going to trade up. Call quality is great. It works just fine. I don't have the jealously factor on who gets what and when.

Posted via Android Central App

Lefty Drummer

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I do have an issue with it going into landscape mode but other than that no problems.

Posted via Android Central App

What kind of issue? If you need landscape mode for apps that don't natively have it use Rotation Locker. I use it sometimes when driving and the phone is sitting landscape. Only issue is it does cause problems with the camera app in landscape. So if I'm going to use the camera, I force close Rotation Locker.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
What kind of issue? If you need landscape mode for apps that don't natively have it use Rotation Locker. I use it sometimes when driving and the phone is sitting landscape. Only issue is it does cause problems with the camera app in landscape. So if I'm going to use the camera, I force close Rotation Locker.

I always use horizontal and will open it and will be in landscape mode. Verizon couldn't figure it out. I had done a factory reset. Got a new SIM card as suggested by Verizon tech support. Today I checked settings and unchecked auto rotate screen. HA...no issues now. And Verizon never pointed that out.
Thanks for your suggestion toi

Posted from my awesome Note3

JnEricsonx

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Rocking a Note 2 and loving it, on several occasions the people at work marvel at how good the picture is, so I just have to wonder, should I settle for just getting a Note 3, or try to game the system somewhat to get a Note 4, Best Buy method and all that?

kctony

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Having never held and played with the 4 I can only go by the reviews. I have the 3 and love it so for me, not sure the 4 is worth the off contact. I think it come down to how much you're willing to spend but either I believe will be a significant upgrade over the 2. Jmt

Its actually harder than it appears. I make it look easy.

dipkid

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
In my honest opinion if you currently have the note 2 and are either wanting an upgrade and or are eligible for an upgrade I would go with the note 4 because while the note 3 is a major and i repeat a major improvement to the note 2 the note 4 is slightly better than the note 3. I personally have the note 3, I had a iphone4 before upgrading to the note 3. (will never go back to apple phone products.) For people like me with the note 3 I will personally wait till the note 5 if they continue the series comes out, because the improvements in the note 4 compared to the note 3 are just not enough to be worth the money at this time. This is just my personal opinion on the topic.