Trouble with wraparound on most browsers and sites

droidlouise

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm coming from a Samsung Droid Charge which offered no option to choose font size (tiny, small,normal, large etc.). On that phone I downloaded an app which allowed me to adjust the font to whatever percentage I was comfortable with (chose 120%). After that, all the browsers, and most sites, allowed pinch and zoom. I could easily obtain a readable font (for me), and the browsers and sites, immediately adjusted their layout so that the text wrapped around almost perfectly, almost all the time.

Here I am with the SG4, 4.2. It offers a choice of font sizes and I chose large. NONE of the browsers I'm using adjust easily and well to wrapping around and they do not offer the wonderfully adjustable pinch and zoom. I can't read most things on the web without squinting or scrolling horizontally because the wrap is for a wider font. I no longer have the pinch/zoom option. The app I used to use to adjust the size of the font, and a few other apps I've tried, have no effect anymore. My present browser choices are Chrome Beta, Opera Beta, the stock browser and UC Browser.

So I have a nice large high resolution screen on which to read, but I cannot find a way to make the text conform to the width/size of the screen and I can't read on it very well at all. I used to comfortably read about 2 hours/day on the Droid Charge and was expecting to do at least as well.

Thanks

Suggestions? Help?

robrrtp

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Try Firefox with the TapTapWrap add-on. Also within Firefox, try tapping on the page to give you a status bar that includes a text size option. In my experience, your mileage may vary with these options, depending on how the site is coded

richs10

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm with the OP on this. Wordwrap sucks on both the Sammy browser and on Chrome. I really don't want to change from Chrome since it syncs bookmarks with my laptop and tablet.

Why, oh why can't the browsers that came with this phone perform simple basic formatting for this screen? Very frustrating.

JohnMFred

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
This is the 3rd thread I've seen like this and the majority of the members here don't seem to find it a problem. Well it's a huge freaking problem... even my BB Storm from 4 years ago would do this flawlessly. It's Unbelievable.

Cynmarose2829

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi...I have the HTC One (which I just love) and I'm using the stock browser. Click on your browser, then settings, then accessibility. I have "Text Scaling" at 115% and "Zoom on Double Tap" at 112%. You can play around with these numbers if you wish but these work fine for me.

I, too had problems with both Chrome and Dolphin but with the stock brpwser on my HTC One I can view my text and easily read at any size I prefer. And, like you I do read a lot.

Cyn

Cynmarose2829

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
Hey John,

I had a BB Storm, too. In fact still have them both. But, I know what you mean about it being frustrating because there's no reason to have this issue. And, no one should have to download an app to enjoy wrap-around-text. I had this same problem on my Samsung Galaxy Note and the reason I decided to not go with the S4 and chose the HTC One. So glad I did for so many reasons. I have never enjoyed a phone this much. It's really a perfect fit.

Try out your settings and let me know if that works for you.

Cyn

JohnMFred

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the help Cyn but these settings are different.. There is no tap to zoom adjustment.
Setting the text scale to 150% seems to work okay for now.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo