Dev Edition vs. Regular Full-Price?

exempli_gratia

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Trying to compare the Developer Edition (officially unlockable) S4 verses the normal Verizon S4 at full price. (upgrading with single-line, unlimited account).

Any one familiar with any past VZ Dev Edition phones?

Price looks same.

The Dev Edition is directly from Samsung, right?

So won't get VZW store customer service, I assume? Warranty is shorter and direct from Samsung?

Are OS updates directly from Samsung for Dev Edition? Does that mean they come faster; no VZ recertification?

How about resale value? Does Dev Edition make it more or less valuable after a year or so?

Thanks.

japetty

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Trying to compare the Developer Edition (officially unlockable) S4 verses the normal Verizon S4 at full price. (upgrading with single-line, unlimited account).

Price looks same.

So won't get VZW store customer service, I assume? Warranty is shorter and direct from Samsung?

Are OS updates directly from Samsung for Dev Edition? Does that mean they come faster; no VZ recertification?

How about resale value? Does Dev Edition make it more or less valuable after a year or so?

Thanks.

If it just came in a 32gb or 64gb I would order one.

najaboy

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site

Price looks same.

Thanks.

Warranty is the same. Updates are the same. The difference is the unlockable bootloader. Value in a year should be about the same as any other i545.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

exempli_gratia

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Warranty is the same. Updates are the same. The difference is the unlockable bootloader. Value in a year should be about the same as any other i545.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

I get that's the phone's native warranty, not the support from the VZ store. For instance, radio is busted, so take it to VZ store to replace. I would think the VZ does not distribute the Dev Edition, since the original order is direct from Samsung's website.

And doesn't VZ automatically extend the warranty to a year, at least for their devices?

exempli_gratia

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
If it just came in a 32gb or 64gb I would order one.

32gb about to be available for regular. Will be intrresting if also for DE.

Although, is it really worth $50-$100 for another $16gb. When a 64gb SD card is same only $50-$60

Just for mega games? Anything else can't use the SD card?

Is the internal memory that much faster than the Class 10 SD cards?

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

Although, is it really worth $50-$100 for another $16gb. When a 64gb SD card is same only $50-$60

One would think the DE would come with a minimum of 32gb, as Samsung is selling it. Maybe Verizon has there beaters in this pot too.
$50 is worth it to me for double the space (I buy full price) as I know I will get the money back when it's time to sell. 16gb devices should disappear, in my opinion. Make 32gb the default - I'd rather have too much space and not have to worry about running out of room. You certainly don't buy a hard drive with the bare minimum you need, do you?

najaboy

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I get that's the phone's native warranty, not the support from the VZ store. For instance, radio is busted, so take it to VZ store to replace. I would think the VZ does not distribute the Dev Edition, since the original order is direct from Samsung's website.

And doesn't VZ automatically extend the warranty to a year, at least for their devices?

In both instances, the phone is warrantied by Samsung for a period of one year. The difference there is that Verizon acts as an intermediary. Also, one does not generally get a warranty replacement in store after 14 days. Instead, the associate will order a CLNR for the customer.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Last edited:

snookasnoo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
SD cards are unreliable, slow, many apps won't work with them including Google apps.
Google has discontinued support for them.
AT&T only charges $50 more for 32GB while Verizon gets $100 so i can see people complaining that but I would still rather have the internal memory rather than SD card

Last edited:

Wilbur

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
I think a week or two more and that $50 rebate will appear on the Verizon web site for the S4 32Gb when Walmart or Radio Shack start selling them. Early bird buyers always seem to get the shaft.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I think a week or two more and that $50 rebate will appear on the Verizon web site for the S4 32Gb when Walmart or Radio Shack start selling them. Early bird buyers always seem to get the shaft.

You got that right! I'm going to buy full price so it's only $50 in difference. I agree though - wait a bit longer and the price will come down.

Posted via Android Central App

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
One would think the DE would come with a minimum of 32gb, as Samsung is selling it. Maybe Verizon has there beaters in this pot too.
$50 is worth it to me for double the space (I buy full price) as I know I will get the money back when it's time to sell. 16gb devices should disappear, in my opinion. Make 32gb the default - I'd rather have too much space and not have to worry about running out of room. You certainly don't buy a hard drive with the bare minimum you need, do you?

I doubt it's Verizon's influence...Samsung itself seems just as guilty when it comes to sticking to the notion that 16GB is sufficient storage for this device. If that wasn't the case, wouldn't they have simply given their base model 32GB instead of focusing the bulk of their production on 16GB model? Verizon probably would have had the 32GB version at launch too if AT&T didn't have an "exclusive" on it...which I'm assuming expired today, 01-July...so as much as I hate to defend Big Red, they probably shouldn't be the main focus of disdain when it comes to availability of the larger capacity model.

You could make the argument that Samsung would produce more 32GB phones if the carriers insisted on ordering more of them (and I'd agree with that), but that still doesn't change the fact that Verizon wasn't able to offer it until today. It's too bad the power users (who happen to be the vocal portion on these forums) actually only represent a very small percentage of the actual buying public, that don't have any idea how much storage they need and are happy to buy the 16GB version in mass quantities.

I agree with everything you're saying, but I doubt a 32GB version of the DE ever happens...it's not a profitable device for Samsung or Verizon, and fills the needs for only a very small niche of customers, so my guess would be that what you see is what you get...don't expect a plethora of different models in the DE line.

You got that right! I'm going to buy full price so it's only $50 in difference. I agree though - wait a bit longer and the price will come down.

Posted via Android Central App

I wouldn't be too sure of this either. With the S3, the higher capacity 32GB models were pretty much only sold online through Verizon, and they didn't last very long either. Over in the S3 forums are several accounts of folks that needed to make warranty claims on their 32GB S3's only to find that Verizon no longer had any, and they were forced to "downgrade" to the 16GB version if they wanted a replacement.

If you have your heart set on a 32GB S4, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to scoop one up now...but what do I know???

snookasnoo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Verizon has a lot to do with it. They like phones with minimal storage so you use more bandwidth. Samsung should have not eve made a 16GB version but gone straight to 32 like HTC did.

I doubt it's Verizon's influence...Samsung itself seems just as guilty when it comes to sticking to the notion that 16GB is sufficient storage for this device. If that wasn't the case, wouldn't they have simply given their base model 32GB instead of focusing the bulk of their production on 16GB model? Verizon probably would have had the 32GB version at launch too if AT&T didn't have an "exclusive" on it...which I'm assuming expired today, 01-July...so as much as I hate to defend Big Red, they probably shouldn't be the main focus of disdain when it comes to availability of the larger capacity model.

You could make the argument that Samsung would produce more 32GB phones if the carriers insisted on ordering more of them (and I'd agree with that), but that still doesn't change the fact that Verizon wasn't able to offer it until today. It's too bad the power users (who happen to be the vocal portion on these forums) actually only represent a very small percentage of the actual buying public, that don't have any idea how much storage they need and are happy to buy the 16GB version in mass quantities.

I agree with everything you're saying, but I doubt a 32GB version of the DE ever happens...it's not a profitable device for Samsung or Verizon, and fills the needs for only a very small niche of customers, so my guess would be that what you see is what you get...don't expect a plethora of different models in the DE line.

I wouldn't be too sure of this either. With the S3, the higher capacity 32GB models were pretty much only sold online through Verizon, and they didn't last very long either. Over in the S3 forums are several accounts of folks that needed to make warranty claims on their 32GB S3's only to find that Verizon no longer had any, and they were forced to "downgrade" to the 16GB version if they wanted a replacement.

If you have your heart set on a 32GB S4, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to scoop one up now...but what do I know???