Just got my S4. Dissapointed maybe?

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I've had this problem a few times in the last several days. The first time I really noticed it was three days ago when I was at the beach and the phone became uncomfortably hot in my pocket. It wasn't charging and I had barely been using it at all. It got rather hot yesterday when I was about one minute into a phone call. I've also been having charging issues, if anyone has any thoughts on that. Posted a thread but I don't believe they've put it up yet. It's frequently been saying it's charging but just stagnating at the same battery percentage, or beeping at me repeatedly saying it's connecting and disconnecting. My roommate got the same phone one day before me from a different Sprint store and has been having the exact same issues. She also had a small clear strip with panels fall out of the charging port last night. Somehow that seemed to help her phone recognize the charger.... I've seen another user say that a piece in the charging port is supposed to be centered and that if it's angled more towards the bottom of the opening (like ours appear to be) it could cause charging problems. At this point I hate the phone and am almost ready to go raise hell and demand an iPhone 5 or something. Any thoughts?

Hmm...yeah. I think an iPhone might be a good idea for you.

Sent from my S4

othersteve

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Anyone with battery life issues needs to:

-Download the latest Google Play Store .apk update (4.3.10 I believe it is) and install it
-Clear cache and data for Google Play Services and Google Services Framework
-Reboot

It will double your battery life as this is a known problem with Play Store 4.1.6.

MBM7881

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Anyone with battery life issues needs to:

-Download the latest Google Play Store .apk update (4.3.10 I believe it is) and install it
-Clear cache and data for Google Play Services and Google Services Framework
-Reboot

It will double your battery life as this is a known problem with Play Store 4.1.6.

Where can we find the latest apk for the play store? TIA

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

MBM7881

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site

I downloaded/ upgraded the play store but now my current apps that need downloading/ upgrading aren't upgrading and giving me an error. Any ideas? I took a screen shot of the error message.

EDIT: Never mind figured it out. Found the answer online. Follow these steps. I did the 2nd method and it worked.

Open system settingsGo to Applications (or Apps) >> AllFrom all apps select Google Play Store >> Clear Cache and Uninstall updatesAgain, from All>>Download Manager >> Clear Cache and DataFinally, All >> Google Services Framework >> Clear Cache and DataNow, rerun Google play store.

Method 2:Go to system settings>> Accounts>>Google>>remove your Gmail accountNow from settings>>Apps>>All> Force stop, Clear data and cache for Google Play Store, Google Service Framework and Download Manager (like in method 1)Now again go to settings>> Accounts>>Google>>Add your gmail accountRestart your android and then accept all the Google terms and setup Google settings*Rerun Google Play Store and update or install your app.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

Attachments

• 1375882340904.jpg
    1375882340904.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

exempli_gratia

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I know what you mean regarding the update, for what it's worth, I have not updated either, but I'm also running CleanROM, so that may be part of the reason I don't notice any lag either.
Good point, thanks.

So, I'm working up to pulling the trigger rooting, unlocking the bootloader, etc...

What guide did you follow, and/or think is best, to replace the ROM on your Verizon S4?

Thank you.

jbomb11

Banned
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I appreciate everyone's feedback.... However other than rooting nothing has worked. Did a factory reset, hard reset, cleared cache, etc...

Is rooting this device hard?

I rooted my DROID DROID x charge way back when but lately didn't feel the need to with my s3 and note 2.

The s4 is making me consider it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

jbomb11

Banned
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Downloaded the file but it won't let me install it. Goes to the screen and install won't highlight I can only cancel.

Allowed third party installs....? Any ideas?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

othersteve

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
This is the best phone I have ever owned personally, and I am a professional tech reviewer for multiple major websites, so I am not easy to please :)

I am also on my phone for 3 - 4 hours per day, plus I burn it up with texts and at least a couple hours of screen time... and I still get a full day out of the S4 (after fixing the Google Play Services battery drain issue with the manual update that is).

The only problem I have with this phone is the camera truly is unimpressive in less-than-stellar lighting situations. It makes quick photos of my kid difficult or impossible in many scenarios. But it's not the end of the world, as everything else is so positive it would be silly for me to give it up over that.

Dive in, it's far better than an iPhone!

exempli_gratia

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
So, I'm working up to pulling the trigger rooting, unlocking the bootloader, etc...

What guide did you follow, and/or think is best, to replace the ROM on your Verizon S4?
To answer my own question, I took the plunge to root and ROM my S4. I used the steps on the XDA forum (AC forum seems to have old info in the "sticky").

Running CM10.1, and loving it. Definitely smoother. I'd say 98% (from 90), but still not 100 (not sure anything is). Camera app on CM is weak though (quasi-stock, w/ability to go to sdcard, but slow to start and choppy with HDR). Otherwise noticeable improvement. Note, I'm comparing with the pre-VZ upgrade (DK) experience.

Last edited:

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
You are lucky those who got their phones with ME7 or took the OTA are waiting patiently for those with the knowledge and skills to get us around the bootloader, again. I hope they can since I do miss custom ROM's.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Good point, thanks.

Thank you.

The guides over at XDA make it pretty easy, but if you're running the latest firmware, you will not at this time be able to install custom ROMs.

Verizon Samsung Galaxy S 4 Android Development - xda-developers

standard boilerplate: I never openly suggest anyone root their phone, at least not without pointing out that there are risks involved, it can void your warranty as it against Verizon's TOS, and most importantly no one on these forums will take responsibility for what you ultimately do to your device.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer