Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4 - Official Android 4.3 is here!!!!

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Re: 4.3 is here!!!!

I guess Verizon isn't always last with updates. Glad i switched from Sprint!

Based on the leaked schedule, Sprint should actually be getting this tomorrow...but yeah, it's shocking Verizon is first with this one.

I love Verizon all the way around! Best Carrier Period!

Well, I enjoy using their network as much as the next guy...but let's not go too crazy now...

SevereDeceit

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site

You probably got the new Play Store update. Open the Play Store and slide the screen to the right. Hitting the Menu Key will not bring up "My Apps" anymore.

Gav508

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Downloaded and installed very quickly. Don't see any changes except Call Block being back. :D I am having two problems though.
1. Whenever I restart my phone, the Music App loads and puts a song on pause. Annoying.
2. In Play Store I cannot get to My Apps so that I can update manually. This is a real problem.

Anyone with these problems or fixes. Thanks

Update:
Music App problem has appeared to clear up after a battery pull.

Awaxhall

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site

I just updated and everything appeared to go ok. I am not rooted, but do use Nova Launcher Pro.

A few observations:

1) My settings icon on the main screen is not a gear anymore, but an Android icon. When I click on it I get a App Not Installed error. Settings from the pulldown still works, though.
2) Screen updating seems to be faster, especially when pulling down from the top. I don't know if it is a placebo effect or what, but it really seems much faster.
3) Still no lock screen widgets availability if you have a pin set up.
4) When you load the camera for the first time it says UPDATING CAMERA FIRMWARE. PLEASE WAIT ... Does anyone know what specific changes were made to the camera?
5) Facebook works for me without an issue. Loading, opening notifications and going to them. This might have to do with the fact my facebook app upgraded itself yesterday before I installed the update.
6) The update resets your shortcut icons on the pulldown menu. (Sorry about not knowing the technical terms). I had them in a particular order, but they have been reset to Wi-Fi, GPS, Sound, Screen Rotation, Bluetooth.

Thanks!

azdmelani

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

My phone is smooth like butter now. The lag is gone!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

DenverRalphy

Retired Network Mod
May 11, 2010
Visit site

4) When you load the camera for the first time it says UPDATING CAMERA FIRMWARE. PLEASE WAIT ... Does anyone know what specific changes were made to the camera?
I saw that too. Was hoping it would add the photosphere camera, but no joy. But then too, since it's firmware, it's probably performance enhancements.

Oj467

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site

Does Tethering still work if you have unlimited data? I can just hit "home" and it will still tether after the nag screen pops up - just making sure this is still the case before I upgrade to 4.3.

Many thanks!

skipatrol

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site

My observations so far...

Wifi notification is gone
The new toggles
I also got the camer a firmware notification
The navigation icon is gone. Looks like they merged it with Maps.

So far so good.

mrjwilliams

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site

Tethering applications such as Portable WiFi Tether DO NOT work anymore. Verizon turns the tether OFF while checking your subscription status now as apposed to just simple checking your status. Hitting the "home" button to leave the subscription screen is too late now. I have seen that FoxFi does work to turn it on... either wait for a fix from a free tether app or pay the $8 now??? Decisions.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

no one with root has done the upgrade yet?

Most rooted folks will want to wait for confirmation of things working before installing the update.

I'll be keeping an eye on the "general" and " Android development" sub-forums over here for more info...it may take a little while for reports to start coming back.
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S 4 - xda-developers