THIS is Why I'll Only Buy a Phone With a Removable Battery

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Let me try and catch up to the myriad of responses.

1) "Overcharging" is improper terminology. BUT, the more charging cycles a battery goes through, the battery capacity drop is commensurate.

2) Signal strength on screen shot: According to a reception app I have, it noted my dBm was at 65% of total potential signal strength. Great? No. Bad? No way.

3) Defective phone? Possibly. Likely? No. Here's why. That signal app I have also estimates your battery life. At 100% charge, it states I have about 18 hours of usable battery. Same app on my old Galaxy Nexus, with about 500 mAh less battery power is noted to give me an estimated battery life of 30 hours; that's 12 hours better than my S4. Considering my S4 has a larger and far newer battery, logic would make one assume the S4 will last longer off of the charger.

Conclusion: My OS, as noted on my screen shot, seems to be in overdrive. My first guess is I have a parasitic application. I have many apps on my phone so pinpointing the malicious app would be a challenge. Or, maybe the battery is indeed in need of replacement. Unfortunately my volt meter can't test this battery so there might be some trial and error. God knows the Verizon staff lack diagnostic skills.

I'll start with a new battery. It's the lazy initial approach, but heck, I'm lazy. If that doesn't work, I'll gather up the motivation to see if I can identify the source of draw. No argument a problem exists, it's narrowing down the possibilities.

Hurry up, LG G3!

Posted via Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Let me try and catch up to the myriad of responses.

1) "Overcharging" is improper terminology. BUT, the more charging cycles a battery goes through, the battery capacity drop is commensurate.

2) Signal strength on screen shot: According to a reception app I have, it noted my dBm was at 65% of total potential signal strength. Great? No. Bad? No way.

3) Defective phone? Possibly. Likely? No. Here's why. That signal app I have also estimates your battery life. At 100% charge, it states I have about 18 hours of usable battery. Same app on my old Galaxy Nexus, with about 500 mAh less battery power is noted to give me an estimated battery life of 30 hours; that's 12 hours better than my S4. Considering my S4 has a larger and far newer battery, logic would make one assume the S4 will last longer off of the charger.

Conclusion: My OS, as noted on my screen shot, seems to be in overdrive. My first guess is I have a parasitic application. I have many apps on my phone so pinpointing the malicious app would be a challenge. Or, maybe the battery is indeed in need of replacement. Unfortunately my volt meter can't test this battery so there might be some trial and error. God knows the Verizon staff lack diagnostic skills.

I'll start with a new battery. It's the lazy initial approach, but heck, I'm lazy. If that doesn't work, I'll gather up the motivation to see if I can identify the source of draw. No argument a problem exists, it's narrowing down the possibilities.

Hurry up, LG G3!

Main question... You know nothing how the G3 runs so.. I know you want it but how do you know it won't be bad or as bad as the problem you have now?

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Main question... You know nothing how the G3 runs so.. I know you want it but how do you know it won't be bad or as bad as the problem you have now?

There is always an element of uncertainty on a new product. But LG did a hell of a job with the G2. Would you agree? Consistent quality. That's what I'm looking for. And I'm willing to roll the dice on the G3. All preliminary write-ups tout this as the "Phone of 2014." So why not? My hands are washed of Samsung, HTC, specifically the Rezound, was all trouble, not a huge Moto fan, Nokia & Windows isn't my flavor, and iOS, well, I'd get edited if I described iOS. So LG it is.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
If you accepted an OS update, have you cleared the system cache in recovery?

From a Slim M8 and the AC Forums app.

calvin2

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
That's not logic, that's assuming. Logic would say the S4 would last longer *if* it uses no more power than the Nexus. If it does more than the Nexus that complicates the battery life beyond the area where logic can work. (Does more=uses more power. Larger battery=has more power. How much does each offset the other? Efficiency might also be a factor. Different hardware, different efficiency.)

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
You know thinking about it Murph... Did you let the battery get real low all the time? That actually is bad for them and may explain your issue.

Exactly what I was thinking. Most people don't give it a second thought to drain it all the way, then top it off. Most experts say it should stay between 20-80% at all times, maybe 10-90% at worst.

Plus, I think they put better batteries in the non-removable phones. It would make sense from a manufacturing standpoint to put a "not-so-good" battery in a phone where you can swap it out, because then they sell more and make more money.