How much 4G data do you use each month?

Bbeelzebub

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Since it looks like Family Shared Data Tiers are inevitable, how much 4G data do you use each month? Not interested in data hogs' numbers who don't have home broadband, but real everyday medium to heavy users.

I'm trying to figure out if a tiered plan will kill my bill or not with overages. I haven't had an LTE phone yet, so I've no clue how much I should expect my data use to jump. I know how much I use on 3G with email and some browsing and apps, but I'm not sure what accessing files on my home computer watching media on the go, etc. will do.

Sprints network is great where I live (Southern California) and they are in the first 12 for LTE. Switching is definitely an option for me. Even their 3G is faster than Verizon's in my area now. We've only stayed with Verizon because of their coverage map when we travel, etc.

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I average about 1.5 GB a month. Usually just on Twitter and streaming music from Google. I hit 4 GB back in January when I was on vacation, but that was only after streaming hours and hours of Netflix.

Reactions: Bbeelzebub

Unobtanium

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I was generally running a little over 2GB /month, until February I hit over 4 GB. And, it sure felt like I was getting throttled, I couldn't get websites to load on 4G, but they would load on 3G or if I used Opera instead of the stock browser. That all cleared up at the start of my next billing cycle, so I went to using WiFi at home at at my Mom's, and was just over 2GB last month. 9 days in here and I'm up to 431 MB. I have a week-long trip toward the end of this billing cycle and want to make sure I don't hit a 5% limit, even though it sounds like others use way more.

Edit: The reason for the increased usage was streaming radio while at work, because the FM reception inside the building is terrible and AM is worse.

Last edited:

Bookworm88

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
If I use the Sirius app on my Droid Charge my eight hour daily trip for work uses about 600MB. Without unlimited data that is a non-starter. That's about 2.4GB a week, almost 10GB a month just for one app. :mad:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Min 2GB month. I've gone as high as the upper 4GB range.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Bbeelzebub

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
If I use the Sirius app on my Droid Charge my eight hour daily trip for work uses about 600MB. Without unlimited data that is a non-starter. That's about 2.4GB a week, almost 10GB a month just for one app. :mad:

Damn! I was thinking of using the app instead of replacing the stereo in my car. Scratch that. Doh!

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Around 20gb on my nexus 8gb on my mifi and 4gb on my bionic total data bill 140$

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Damn! Makes me glad the only car I drive is my personal vehicle so SiriusXM is built into it. I can spare my phones data for use of SiriusXM at the gym. Lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2.

0pusX

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I just checked my 5 lines usage. I have 4 days left in my billing cycle.

Line 1: 1.93 GB
Line 2: 0.37 GB
Line 3: 0.08 GB
Line 4: 0.07 GB
Line 5: 1.76 GB

Sure they will make money off some people but I am willing to bet the majority of people are similar to me and actually Verizon stands to LOSE money on switching those people.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Although I do have grandfathered unlimited data (on LTE), I normally only use about 500MB - 1GB a month unless streaming NFL football games which then it only jumps to approx. 2-3GB. Regardless, I wouldn't want to lose grandfathered unlimited data, mainly for peace of mind of not having to worry about overages or having to check data use. In the end when the time does come, I wouldn't leave Verizon anyway as they provide the best coverage where I live.

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
I never go over 2 GB a month unless I try. I am normally over 1 GB but less than 2 GB. I haven't really looked lately.

If I'm moved to a tiered plan, I will just use WiFi more and make sure I store my music on m phone.