Will VZW change my SIM (mini-to-micro) and not screw up unlimited?

jj2me

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I bought a new phone off eBay that requires a micro SIM. My current phone uses a mini-SIM.

The thought of approaching Verizon and asking them to migrate my mini-SIM to my new blank micro-SIM scares me, because of the possibility of losing my grandfathered unlimited plan (and also immediately losing my employee discount).

I have a SIM cutter on order. But even the slight chance of me messing that up and then having to approach Verizon for a SIM transfer is making me reconsider cutting and upgrading to this new phone.

Are my fears unfounded about approaching Verizon for the transfer?

Or is there a legitimate method to move to a genuine Verizon micro-SIM card, that would not involve VZW? Or a special way to ask VZW to make me a new card without changing my plan?

Thanks.

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I bought a new phone off eBay . . .

yes, your fears are unfounded. You bought the phone off of ebay. Verizon will give you a sim for it no questions asked. It doesn't affect unlimited data.

jj2me

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
yes, your fears are unfounded. You bought the phone off of ebay. Verizon will give you a sim for it no questions asked. It doesn't affect unlimited data.

Thanks.

Too bad my "new" eBay phone is defective (about a 3/16" band of non-responsive touch area near the bottom). Shoulda checked seller's return policy ("no returns"). So many hassles, so little time.

rswain64

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
No problem with upgrade. I upgraded from a Droid Bionic to Samsung S3. They just put a new Sim card in and activated. No questions asked.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks.

Too bad my "new" eBay phone is defective (about a 3/16" band of non-responsive touch area near the bottom). Shoulda checked seller's return policy ("no returns"). So many hassles, so little time.

File a claim with eBay or PayPal. He can claim no returns but if the device is faulty in arrival his policy shouldn't matter. You can't sell a defective item and claim no returns. The seller can either replace it with the same replacement phone or has to accept the return. You probably knew this but just pointing it out.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II

jj2me

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
File a claim with eBay or PayPal. He can claim no returns but if the device is faulty in arrival his policy shouldn't matter. You can't sell a defective item and claim no returns. The seller can either replace it with the same replacement phone or has to accept the return. You probably knew this but just pointing it out.

Actually, I didn't know that, so thanks for easing my mind. Am making a video of all the non-working effects to present to him (and eBay/PayPal). Luckily the SIM card that came with it has some unknown phone number, so it's not "Brand new" as he described.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Absolutely, the no returns means no returns for buyers remorse. I. E. I changed my mind. If the item isn't as advertised, then he has to either send you one in the advertised condition or refund. The one downside is that you are out return shipping. One reason why I rarely but from eBay, and would rather buy new. That, and new has warranty, used typically does not.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Actually, I didn't know that, so thanks for easing my mind. Am making a video of all the non-working effects to present to him (and eBay/PayPal). Luckily the SIM card that came with it has some unknown phone number, so it's not "Brand new" as he described.

You're going the extra mile and it doesn't hurt. I would contact the seller initially and request a refund. If that fails open a file with eBay and PayPal for something along the lines of item not as described and non working unit.

phantomog

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site

I wouldn't say they are totally unfounded. I did the upgrade transfer dance to keep my unlimited and needed a new sim going from my HTC Thunderbolt to my new Note II. Phone rep offered to mail me the new sim without affecting my plan, but suggested I go to a corporate store and get one right away. I did and almost regretted it.

The sales reps at the store at first refused and then said they couldn't do it and keep my plan intact. I (in polite words) said that was B$ and told them I was calling VZW corporate and pulled out my phone to dial. Before I could get a live rep on the phone, they relented and said they could do it. I made sure to get a receipt showing my plan was untouched and then watched my account like a hawk for the next 2 months. All was OK but I have ZERO respect for anyone working at my local VZW store. Next time I think I'll wait for a new sim to be mailed if necessary just to avoid having to step foot in the store.

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I have ZERO respect for anyone working at my local VZW store. Next time I think I'll wait for a new sim to be mailed if necessary just to avoid having to step foot in the store.
My local VZW reps are mean, rude and stupid. I will only deal with VZW online and over the phone.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't say they are totally unfounded. I did the upgrade transfer dance to keep my unlimited and needed a new sim going from my HTC Thunderbolt to my new Note II. Phone rep offered to mail me the new sim without affecting my plan, but suggested I go to a corporate store and get one right away. I did and almost regretted it.

The sales reps at the store at first refused and then said they couldn't do it and keep my plan intact. I (in polite words) said that was B$ and told them I was calling VZW corporate and pulled out my phone to dial. Before I could get a live rep on the phone, they relented and said they could do it. I made sure to get a receipt showing my plan was untouched and then watched my account like a hawk for the next 2 months. All was OK but I have ZERO respect for anyone working at my local VZW store. Next time I think I'll wait for a new sim to be mailed if necessary just to avoid having to step foot in the store.

That's so unfortunate. When I've had to do it in the past my vzw store reps were all very helpful and understanding and did I without problem. The only time I had an issue was when I returned a device and needed a new sim for the old one.

Umass021

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
You can buy a sum adapter on eBay for a few dollars. My rezound had a mini sum and my nexus has a micro sim so I use a sum adapter and switch between both devices if needed. I called Verizon and they sent me the sim didn't even have to go to the store.

Sent from my A500 using Android Central Forums

jj2me

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
What ever happened with a refund request?

Got it, with no problems.

Turns out that in trying to follow the eBay process to "first contact the buyer," I somehow clicked on a button that opened an eBay Case. That seemed to have some weight (or else the seller is just great).

He responded in the Case that he didn't know what the problem was, but would be happy to give a refund upon receipt of the phone. Although I wrote the problem details in the Case, with a link to the video I made, it appears from the timing of the download of the video (not until I sent him a direct e-mail with the case details), that he didn't click on the expanding arrow in the Case description that opens to show the detailed reasons.

I'm thinking that eBay Buyer Protection, in particular, opening a Case, must have some sort of sway with sellers.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Got it, with no problems.

Turns out that in trying to follow the eBay process to "first contact the buyer," I somehow clicked on a button that opened an eBay Case. That seemed to have some weight (or else the seller is just great).

He responded in the Case that he didn't know what the problem was, but would be happy to give a refund upon receipt of the phone. Although I wrote the problem details in the Case, with a link to the video I made, it appears from the timing of the download of the video (not until I sent him a direct e-mail with the case details), that he didn't click on the expanding arrow in the Case description that opens to show the detailed reasons.

I'm thinking that eBay Buyer Protection, in particular, opening a Case, must have some sort of sway with sellers.

Glad to hear. This is a major reason I don't buy used phones though. No warranty so if it breaks after the 30 day return window (or whatever it is) you're screwed. Dead on Arrival saved you.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexpall