Early Termination

bontjes

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
So I've been thinking about this for a while and I'm hoping for some feedback.

Early termination on Verizon is $375 for a smartphone. If that's prorated by the month to the end of the contract that would be roughly $190 after one year on a two year contract.

A new phone, say the Galaxy S 4 is $650 off contract. $199 with a contract.

Would it work to do the early termination at one year and pay $190 and then $200 for a new line of service... Totalling roughly $400.

I would save like $250 over buying the phone straight up at Verizon.

Maybe they don't allow that?

On the other hand I could go to ATT and do the same thing so why not keep me as a customer and give a discount off $250?

What do you think? Does it affect your credit of you term early?

Posted via Android Central App

friedtators

May 27, 2013
Visit site
If your account is charged off they will report it. You pay the fee and you are even. I don't know about consequences within their system. ATT would love to take their business

bontjes

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
So I called Verizon and they said I can do it. But to discourage people from doing that, they recently changed the early termination thing from a standard prorate to only $5 a month.

Jerks!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
So I've been thinking about this for a while and I'm hoping for some feedback.

Early termination on Verizon is $375 for a smartphone. If that's prorated by the month to the end of the contract that would be roughly $190 after one year on a two year contract.

A new phone, say the Galaxy S 4 is $650 off contract. $199 with a contract.

Would it work to do the early termination at one year and pay $190 and then $200 for a new line of service... Totalling roughly $400.

I would save like $250 over buying the phone straight up at Verizon.

Maybe they don't allow that?

On the other hand I could go to ATT and do the same thing so why not keep me as a customer and give a discount off $250?

What do you think? Does it affect your credit of you term early?

So I called Verizon and they said I can do it. But to discourage people from doing that, they recently changed the early termination thing from a standard prorate to only $5 a month.

Jerks!

There is some inaccurate information here. Verizon etf for smartphone is $350 less $10 per month of service, so at the one year mark, you would be paying $230 etf. So long as you pay etf, it won't affect your credit

Also, for a new line of service, you would have to pay an activation fee of $36.

"
If you cancel a line of Service, or if we cancel it for good cause, during its contract term, you'll have to pay an Early Termination Fee. If your contract term results from your purchase of an Advanced Device, your Early Termination Fee will be $350 minus $10 for each full month of your contract term that you complete. (For a complete list of Advanced Devices, check verizonwireless.com/advanceddevices.) Otherwise, your Early Termination Fee will be $175 minus $5 for each full month of your contract term that you complete. Cancellations will become effective on the last day of that month's billing cycle"

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...b2c/support/customer-agreement&token=8p4FRJv1

This is the terms of service. If they make a change such as changing the etf amount to $375 or reduce the prorate of Advanced Devices to $5(which would classify as materially adverse) ,then you can cancel without paying etf.

" If you're a Postpay customer and a change to your Plan or this agreement has a material adverse effect on you, you can cancel the line of Service that has been affected within 60 days of receiving the notice with no Early Termination Fee if we fail to negate the change after you notify us of your objection to it."

Now, if you are going to buy and not plan to make changes to your account within 181 days, you can get it from Newegg for $130,no activation fee. However, if you make certain changes to your account within 181 days like transferring the equipment even within the same account, you will have to pay a $400 secondary etf fee. This fee is on top of Verizon's $350 etf.

http://wireless.newegg.com/eCommerce/SpecialOffer.aspx?cid=35159_f3eb786385514beea54fe7346b730f2c

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

Last edited: