RUMOR: Verizon to ditch Unlimited Data for all in a year or so

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: RUMOR: Verizon to ditch Unlimited Data for all in a year or do

I am paying $140 for 5 lines on Verizon now. If I move to the share everything plan, based on my maximum usage, I would pay over $5,000 per month.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

FantomLightning

May 19, 2013
Visit site

800SMR will alleviate basically all of that on both 1X Advanced and on LTE later in 2014. If it comes down to having to leave VZW just look into Sprint a bit, you won't have much to lose. Plus you get a larger network with better rural build out than T-Mobile (who has nothing but 2G in most areas outside suburbs). You also can roam on VZW if you find yourself outside a Sprint service area.

I'm in Illinois and Sprint is still awful. Worse then T-Mobile which is quite sad to be honest. Dropped calls everywhere and can't hold a call in the local grocery stores. Nothing like needing to call for a second about the shopping and it breaks up. Haha

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

800SMR will alleviate basically all of that on both 1X Advanced and on LTE later in 2014. If it comes down to having to leave VZW just look into Sprint a bit, you won't have much to lose. Plus you get a larger network with better rural build out than T-Mobile (who has nothing but 2G in most areas outside suburbs). You also can roam on VZW if you find yourself outside a Sprint service area.

With limitation on the roaming though, i think if you go over 300mb roaming, Sprint may cancel your service.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using Tapatalk 2

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Oh ok, I just thought Damn 5 smart phones for $140 LOL

Tapatalk mofo

it would still be possible if I were on the $10 unlimited data plan, to have 5 smartphones with unlimited data for $140. But sadly, I am not.

FantomLightning

May 19, 2013
Visit site

You have to do that in large quantities for many months in a row. The school I used to go to killed all PCS 1900 signals inside, so once you walked in it was AT&T and VZW 850 Cellular only. As a result every day I was in there I was roaming, many times going only slightly over the limit. They never said anything. It's only in extreme cases that they're really going to notice and kick you. Oh and the new plans that were just released only have a 100MB roaming limit.

With limitation on the roaming though, i think if you go over 300mb roaming, Sprint may cancel your service.

packerbacker

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm on my parents' family plan and financially, I can't go out on my own, so I'm going to have to accept #1. I just upgraded/turned in my 4S on Sunday for my beloved S4, so I've been on 2GB since then. It kind of sucks, but I don't have another alternative. At least with Android I have a 1x1 widget that shows me my data usage so I can keep track of it.

I'm also moving in a week to a place with spotty service on all carriers except Verizon, so, when I can upgrade, most likely I'll be staying with Verizon again anyway.

That's not to say I'm not happy about it!

I hope Sprint's service gets better in my (future) town, though.

FantomLightning

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Depending on how far away the nearest Sprint PCS tower is the 800SMR deployment may solve your coverage issues. However it may only really help in getting you 1X Advanced data and voice coverage, the LTE airlink is more fragile than 1X or even EVDO/3G. So if the tower is too far 1X may be the only connection you could pick up on the 800 band.

I'm on my parents' family plan and financially, I can't go out on my own, so I'm going to have to accept #1. I just upgraded/turned in my 4S on Sunday for my beloved S4, so I've been on 2GB since then. It kind of sucks, but I don't have another alternative. At least with Android I have a 1x1 widget that shows me my data usage so I can keep track of it.

I'm also moving in a week to a place with spotty service on all carriers except Verizon, so, when I can upgrade, most likely I'll be staying with Verizon again anyway.

That's not to say I'm not happy about it!

I hope Sprint's service gets better in my (future) town, though.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

You have to do that in large quantities for many months in a row. The school I used to go to killed all PCS 1900 signals inside, so once you walked in it was AT&T and VZW 850 Cellular only. As a result every day I was in there I was roaming, many times going only slightly over the limit. They never said anything. It's only in extreme cases that they're really going to notice and kick you. Oh and the new plans that were just released only have a 100MB roaming limit.

The point is sprint's unlimted isn't unlimited with roaming. Using Verizon, you can roam as much as you like with Verizon's partners. Unlimited is unlimited, not restricted to on network, like sprint

FantomLightning

May 19, 2013
Visit site

Actually, with Sprint partners their network appears as native, one of the few exceptions where roaming is actually considered roaming is VZW roaming. Also, no. I'm sure there are stipulations somewhere in the VZW T&C that say if you spend a certain amount of time off network roaming that you will be kicked. Sprint is just much more clear and upfront about the terms, which aren't really set in stone.

The point is sprint's unlimted isn't unlimited with roaming. Using Verizon, you can roam as much as you like with Verizon's partners. Unlimited is unlimited, not restricted to on network, like sprint

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Actually, with Sprint partners their network appears as native, one of the few exceptions where roaming is actually considered roaming is VZW roaming. Also, no. I'm sure there are stipulations somewhere in the VZW T&C that say if you spend a certain amount of time off network roaming that you will be kicked. Sprint is just much more clear and upfront about the terms, which aren't really set in stone.

Doubt it dpham.. All carriers don't want you to roam.. Costs them money. I guarantee you look through your usage terms it says something about if you roam to much they can do something..

Either way I've forced roam for a month or 2 when Sprint started working in my area. About 3 GB each of those months... Heard nothing.. No charges.. Anything.

Sent from my Sprint HTC One using AC forums.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site

Doubt it dpham.. All carriers don't want you to roam.. Costs them money. I guarantee you look through your usage terms it says something about if you roam to much they can do something..

Either way I've forced roam for a month or 2 when Sprint started working in my area. About 3 GB each of those months... Heard nothing.. No charges.. Anything.

Actually it's clearly stated in the current sprint contacts that if you use over 300mb of roaming data (the roaming partner doesn't matter it's cumulative) that sprint reserves the right to terminate your contract.

Now the 3 new plans have that limit REDUCED to 100mb.

Aldo sprint may have not caught you before as nv rollout occupies a whole bunch of their time. But once it's finished, I wouldn't expect you to be able to use that much roaming data without Atleast receiving a warning letter.

From what I've seen, it's a roaming letter one month, than if your still doing it the next month, you're terminated (without an etf). So if you're ever looking to get out of contact, just force roam for a while, and you're good to go.

Sprint GS3 Running TN's Msg and Chubbs

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I looked through the terms and conditions, and didn't find such a clause. This is all it says :

" What Are Roaming Charges?
You're "roaming" whenever your wireless device uses a transmission site outside your Coverage Area or uses another company's transmission site. Sometimes roaming happens even when you're within your Coverage Area. There may be higher rates and extra charges (including charges for long distance, tolls or calls that don't connect) for roaming calls, depending on your Plan."

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...b2c/support/customer-agreement&token=s6wY65wn

I also looked at the details of the Nationwide plan which I am on, and it makes no mention of excessive roaming.

"Plan Details:

Unlimited Domestic Long Distance. (Airtime applies.)
No domestic roaming charges. (Coverage not available in all areas)
Night & Weekend Minutes
Night Hrs: (M?F) 9:01 p.m.?5:59 a.m.
Wknd Hrs: 12:00 a.m. Sat.?11:59 p.m. Sun."

There is a limitation of the unlimited mobile to mobile of you are Roaming in certain states, but then those minutes would just be used according to your regular minutes

" Important Plan InformationClose
Important Calling Plan Information
Anytime Minutes, Mobile to Mobile, Night & Weekend Minutes, Friends ? Family and Per?Minute Rate are for use from within the Nationwide Rate and Coverage Area.

Plan Details:

Unlimited Domestic Long Distance. (Airtime applies.)
No domestic roaming charges. (Coverage not available in all areas)
Night & Weekend Minutes
Night Hrs: (M?F) 9:01 p.m.?5:59 a.m.
Wknd Hrs: 12:00 a.m. Sat.?11:59 p.m. Sun.
International Roaming
Make or receive calls while traveling internationally with rates starting as low as 69?/minute. While at home, some international destinations can be reached using 10?digit direct dialing; international long distance rates apply in addition to airtime charges. Please visit https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ns-and-services/international/&token=Bvme_GnI for a list of North American Dialing Pattern countries and rates.

Detailed Billing
$1.99 per month per number.

Minimum Contract Term
Each line requires a month?to?month or two?year contract.

Activation/Upgrade Fees
Activation Fee: $35/line.
Upgrade Fee: $30/device when upgrading to a new device.

Early Termination Fees
The early termination fee is up to $175, or up to $350 if your contract term results from your purchase of an advanced device (e.g., a smartphone, or netbook).

If you are activating a Data-Only Plan or if you're on a month?to?month term, you are not eligible for monthly access fee discounts.

Taxes, Surcharges and Fees

The market you're in determines taxes, surcharges and fees, such as E911 and gross receipt charges. As of April 1, 2013, they can add between 6% and 42% to your standard monthly access and other charges.
Monthly Federal Universal Service (15.5% of the interstate and international telecom charges, as of April 1, 2013; varies quarterly based on FCC rate), Regulatory (16? per line) and Administrative (90? per line) charges are Verizon Wireless charges, not taxes, and are subject to change. For more details on these charges, call 1?888?684?1888.
Important Information:
For more information, refer to the Customer Agreement or speak with a Sales Representative. Service is subject to the Customer Agreement, which you should read before activating service. Credit approval required. Billing, shipping and end?user address must be within an area where Verizon Wireless is licensed and provides service.

Limited Mobile to Mobile Calling with Limited Night & Weekend:
Does your Plan have limited Mobile to Mobile Calling and limited Night & Weekend allowances? If so, then when you make a Mobile to Mobile call during Night & Weekend hours, your allowance minutes will be used in the following order: 1) Mobile to Mobile Calling, 2) Night & Weekend and 3) Anytime Allowance.

Family SharePlans ? Minimum Number of Lines:
A Family SharePlan must include a minimum of two lines at all times. In the spirit of family, they all use the number of minutes designated for the account.

Unlimited Anytime Minutes
Unlimited Anytime Minutes may be used for directly dialed or received calls between individuals and not for connections that don't involve uninterrupted live dialogue between individuals.

Unlimited Messaging
Applies when sending and receiving (i) Text, Picture, and Video Messages with Verizon Wireless and non?Verizon Wireless customers in the United States; (ii) Text, Picture, and Video Messages sent via email; (iii) Instant Messages; and (iv) Text Messages with customers of wireless carriers on participating networks in Canada, Mexico, and Puerto Rico. Premium Messaging programs not included. Messaging is available from within the National Enhanced Services Rate and Coverage Area.

National Mobile to Mobile Calling/Friends & Family
National Mobile to Mobile Calling/Friends & Family is not available: (i) to customers whose wireless exchange restricts the delivery of Caller ID; (ii) with fixed wireless devices with usage substantially from a single cell site; (iii) if Call Forwarding or No Answer/Busy Transfer features are activated; (iv) for data usage, including Push to Talk calls, Multimedia Messaging; (v) for calls to check your Voice Mail; (vi) for calls to Verizon Wireless customers using any of the Global services; (vii) in those areas of Louisiana and Mississippi where your phone's roaming indicator flashes; and (viii) for incoming calls if Caller ID is not present or Caller ID Block is initiated."

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...d=1&catId=323&sel=ind&zipRdr=y&token=GtUKuMV7

Of course, I could have missed it, if so, please provide the link to your assertion.

Last edited:

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

my experience with the typical verizon store rep is: they are usually courteous, but 50% of them have a surface knowledge of their products. i have actually given verizon store reps info about their products that they had no idea about. with that being said, I have always felt that unlimited data would be erradicated sooner or later, for all carriers. it just stands to reason that the carriers can make more money by forcing our hand to become more disciplined in our data usage. there is no gamble for them, because once unlimited is gone, they get an automatic boost on data, I believe 1 GB is $50?? that's a $20/month increase per customer for verizon, minimum.

I'm staying, no matter what. the service is 2nd to none, and I can't afford to not be able to make calls in the short window of time that i have between jobs.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

my experience with the typical verizon store rep is: they are usually courteous, but 50% of them have a surface knowledge of their products. i have actually given verizon store reps info about their products that they had no idea about. with that being said, I have always felt that unlimited data would be erradicated sooner or later, for all carriers. it just stands to reason that the carriers can make more money by forcing our hand to become more disciplined in our data usage. there is no gamble for them, because once unlimited is gone, they get an automatic boost on data, I believe 1 GB is $50?? that's a $20/month increase per customer for verizon, minimum.

I'm staying, no matter what. the service is 2nd to none, and I can't afford to not be able to make calls in the short window of time that i have between jobs.

I think its $50 for 1 GB on a Share Everything plan. I'm not sure on the exact pricing for these plans though. Verizon does offer 2 GB for $30 on individual plans so that's the route most customers would go.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

If you are on the legacy individual or family share plans, there was a 4gb/$30 legacy plan. At this point though, you would probably have to assume liability of such a line.

In the share everything plan, you would pay $7.50 per gigabyte if you were on the 20gb plan, but yeah, the 1gb tier is expensive.

Sprint just started the unlimited for life plan (talk text and Web). Of course Sprint service is nowhere near as good as Verizon, but it seems like they are willing to commit to it for life . Whether or not they honor it, so knows, but it would be a bad PR move if they did back out of their promise.

Many Store reps who are salesmen are really only there to sell you a phone. They aren't technical experts and don't really care about you beside their paycheck. Yes, there are some reps that do truly care, but I think that they are in the minority

anon(40232)

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site

Fairly certain they won't, but I would hate it to lose my Unlimited. I'm not a heavy user, but I like to have the flexability if I needed it. Not to mention, going to the default 2Gb plan would bump up my bill by $30 a month just for one smart phone.

Their pre-paid plans, they have a $70 for 4Gb. Is there something bad about those if I had to lose my Unlimited?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Fairly certain they won't, but I would hate it to lose my Unlimited. I'm not a heavy user, but I like to have the flexability if I needed it. Not to mention, going to the default 2Gb plan would bump up my bill by $30 a month just for one smart phone.

Their pre-paid plans, they have a $70 for 4Gb. Is there something bad about those if I had to lose my Unlimited?

Cost is the same for unlimited vs 2gb plan, though no employee discount in the 2gb tier. You do not have to move to share everything.

Can you even use 4GLTE phones on prepaid? I thought you couldn't

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site

I'm an employee at one of Verizon's regional headquarters, and there has been no such memo, although like the original poster stated, of course it's coming some time.

An end to unlimited data for Verizon customers?
If so? When would this date be about?

Sent from my Coconut Wireless HTC One

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

An end to unlimited data for Verizon customers?
If so? When would this date be about?

Sent from my Coconut Wireless HTC One

No one knows save perhaps the execs. Verizon never announces changes a year in advance

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site

With the 2GB plan, do you have to pay $40/smartphone, $30/dumb phone, etc? I think my family is on some relic of a plan where all lines are still just $10, on top of the cost of the plan itself. To have three smartphones costs $90 for 6GB of data, but I think it works out to being cheaper than updating our plans.. Does anyone know if they're planning on getting rid of all older plans?

And speaking of discontent with Verizon.. If I was to switch out of my family's plan and get my own line, what's the best alternate carrier in terms of coverage and cost? I very rarely talk on my phone, I mostly use it for texts and social media--so good data coverage is imperative. I'm afraid if I switch to another carrier, I'll be frustrated by slow or nonexistent data speeds.