RUMOR: Verizon to ditch Unlimited Data for all in a year or so

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Tmo offers the $30 5gb 100min unlimited texts, and gets good speeds in many urban areas. Obviously Verizon network is better overall, but if tmo works for your needs, then sure why not.

You can try their service and see if it suits your needs, this is the most accurate way. You can also ask friends and family in your immediate area. Other than that, you can use rootmetrics as a last resort

http://www.rootmetrics.com

3 smartphones for $90 with 6gb is a great price for verizon coverage, must be on a very old plan. This is better than the old family share plans. No one knows if Verizon will force you off the plans.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

hokiesteve

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Re: RUMOR: Verizon to ditch Unlimited Data for all in a year or do

With the 2GB plan, do you have to pay $40/smartphone, $30/dumb phone, etc? I think my family is on some relic of a plan where all lines are still just $10, on top of the cost of the plan itself. To have three smartphones costs $90 for 6GB of data, but I think it works out to being cheaper than updating our plans.. Does anyone know if they're planning on getting rid of all older plans?

And speaking of discontent with Verizon.. If I was to switch out of my family's plan and get my own line, what's the best alternate carrier in terms of coverage and cost? I very rarely talk on my phone, I mostly use it for texts and social media--so good data coverage is imperative. I'm afraid if I switch to another carrier, I'll be frustrated by slow or nonexistent data speeds.

Your best bet is probably the $60 AT&T GoPhone plan. They are somewhat comparable to Verizon with coverage and data speeds. An at&t mvno might also suit your needs.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Your best bet is probably the $60 AT&T GoPhone plan. They are somewhat comparable to Verizon with coverage and data speeds. An at&t mvno might also suit your needs.

If you don't mind texting over google voice, he can split his line from the family plan. I don't know pricing, but a standard legacy individual plan started at $40 voice plus $30 for legacy unlimited data (same price for 2gb as well).

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Tmo offers the $30 5gb 100min unlimited texts, and gets good speeds in many urban areas. Obviously Verizon network is better overall, but if tmo works for your needs, then sure why not.

You can try their service and see if it suits your needs, this is the most accurate way. You can also ask friends and family in your immediate area. Other than that, you can use rootmetrics as a last resort

RootMetrics | Measuring mobile performance for you, and with you

3 smartphones for $90 with 6gb is a great price for verizon coverage, must be on a very old plan. This is better than the old family share plans. No one knows if Verizon will force you off the plans.

Thanks! I think T-Mobile has pretty decent coverage where I live, I'll ask friends in the area. That's insaanely cheap! lol sorry, I meant I have to pay $90 just for 6GB of data alone, on top of the cost of the plan and individual lines--but somehow it works out to being like $80 cheaper than the 'share everything' equivalent.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks! I think T-Mobile has pretty decent coverage where I live, I'll ask friends in the area. That's insaanely cheap! lol sorry, I meant I have to pay $90 just for 6GB of data alone, on top of the cost of the plan and individual lines--but somehow it works out to being like $80 cheaper than the 'share everything' equivalent.

You could always assume liability of an
Unlimited data line... Still $30 per line. Depending on the usage needs, you could join the plans into a family share plan, it could be cheaper. You do not need to move to share everything for this

hokiesteve

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site

If you don't mind texting over google voice, he can split his line from the family plan. I don't know pricing, but a standard legacy individual plan started at $40 voice plus $30 for legacy unlimited data (same price for 2gb as well).

Does Verizon still offer legacy individual plans?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Does Verizon still offer legacy individual plans?

Not for new accounts, but you can still assume liability of one. If you assume liability of an unlimited data line, it would also have a legacy individual or family line attached. If it was a legacy family line, simply cancel the remaining lines and keep one.

cg101

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site

I just did the Verizon's "Device Payment Plan" to purchase my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 this past Friday. Yes, I am aware that the Note 3 is coming soon, but I had a Samsung Droid Charge (forever stuck on Gingerbread unless I get a custom rom [ummm...no]) for the past two years and I was ready for an upgrade. The Note 2 is such a great size for my hands, and it is (so far) an excellent phone for all of my needs. Here is how it works.

You will pay the phone's cost, plus $2 a month (REASONABLE if you do not want to buy a phone upfront or eat up available credit, even at 0% interest) divided by 12 months. You pay for the first month upfront at the corporate store. I had to ask multiple times to the gentleman if I was going to get a new contract OR lose my unlimited plan. The gentleman assured me that that wouldn't be the case (I think he was pissed that he knew I knew my stuff.) But I can pay the phone off early if I want (and I will) then I can start all over again with a newer phone (perhaps the Note 3 OR even Note 4.)

Point being is I STILL have unlimited. Been using Spotify, and Netflix all weekend and enjoying the gigs of data I have used in a weekend then most Share Everything suckers use in a month...(the Simpson's Nelson laugh..."ha ha") Unlimited ain't going anywhere and don't let any troll tell you different. People who don't have Verizon's unlimited data are just jealous that they lost it. I even acquired a third line recently that had Verizon Unlimited Data through "Assumption of Liability" that I use for my Jetpack acquired on eBay. Unlimited data is still available to those who want it and you don't have to use subpar T-Mobile or Sprint to get it.

Verizon Unlimited Data is here to stay!! Don't let anyone kid you.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

I just did the Verizon's "Device Payment Plan" to purchase my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 this past Friday. Yes, I am aware that the Note 3 is coming soon, but I had a Samsung Droid Charge (forever stuck on Gingerbread unless I get a custom rom [ummm...no]) for the past two years and I was ready for an upgrade. The Note 2 is such a great size for my hands, and it is (so far) an excellent phone for all of my needs. Here is how it works.

You will pay the phone's cost, plus $2 a month (REASONABLE if you do not want to buy a phone upfront or eat up available credit, even at 0% interest) divided by 12 months. You pay for the first month upfront at the corporate store. I had to ask multiple times to the gentleman if I was going to get a new contract OR lose my unlimited plan. The gentleman assured me that that wouldn't be the case (I think he was pissed that he knew I knew my stuff.) But I can pay the phone off early if I want (and I will) then I can start all over again with a newer phone (perhaps the Note 3 OR even Note 4.)

Point being is I STILL have unlimited. Been using Spotify, and Netflix all weekend and enjoying the gigs of data I have used in a weekend then most Share Everything suckers use in a month...(the Simpson's Nelson laugh..."ha ha") Unlimited ain't going anywhere and don't let any troll tell you different. People who don't have Verizon's unlimited data are just jealous that they lost it. I even acquired a third line recently that had Verizon Unlimited Data through "Assumption of Liability" that I use for my Jetpack acquired on eBay. Unlimited data is still available to those who want it and you don't have to use subpar T-Mobile or Sprint to get it.

Verizon Unlimited Data is here to stay!! Don't let anyone kid you.

I hope Unlimited Data is here to stay but I am skeptical that it's staying considering it's in their best interest to dump it.

cg101

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site

I hope Unlimited Data is here to stay but I am skeptical that it's staying considering it's in their best interest to dump it.

Skepticism is like water or vitamins; it is usually healthy, but when you have too much of it, it is unhealthy.

The fact is that as of today, Unlimited Data is here to stay. Anything that states the contrary is rumor and leads to unproductive discussion. Of course it is in Verizon's best interest to get rid of Unlimited Data. They profit immensly from people who go to Share Everything. What is it, like $10 a gig for everything someone goes over? If it were me, VZ would be seeing hundreds of dollars a month from me. I pay $30 a month for Unlimited Data streaming from my Jetpack (thank you FCC!! HAHA!!!!) However, as of today, they're not going to risk losing customers that are still grandfathered in...otherwise, Verizon would have already made a move to get rid of us.

As was said by others and myself, if people want unlimited data from Verizon today, they can assume liability for a line that has it. They are all over eBay. You just have to look for "Verizon Unlimited Data" .

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Overage is $15 for 500mb on the lowest tier, and $15 for 1gb on all other tiers

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Ahhh, so it is worse...lol. From your avatar, sounds like neither of us has to worry about that. :D

Well, it is cheaper for me to use unlimited data than the 2gb plan since I get an employee discount on the unlimited, and the 2gb plan would not. Right now I pay, $140 for 5 lines of service with 2 smartphones including one with unlimited data. If I moved to a share everything plan, based on my peak usage, my bill would be over $5,000.

cg101

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Well, it is cheaper for me to use unlimited data than the 2gb plan since I get an employee discount on the unlimited, and the 2gb plan would not. Right now I pay, $140 for 5 lines of service with 2 smartphones including one with unlimited data. If I moved to a share everything plan, based on my peak usage, my bill would be over $5,000.

Prior to getting the Note II on the Device Payment Plan, my bill was $190 for three lines, all unlimited data (Note II, Droid Charge and a Jetpack.) We have 700 minutes and the cheapest set of text messages. We typically go at a minimum 10GB a month, but when we're both Netflix heavy, we've seen 40-80GB. I am hoping to be paid off with the Note II by December, then I can get whatever Android sexiness exists (perhaps even the Note 3 and just give the wife the Note II.)

The only reason I even posted on this thread was to combat the haters...I do a casual search on Verizon Unlimited Data, just in case there is "official" word, and so far, so good.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Prior to getting the Note II on the Device Payment Plan, my bill was $190 for three lines, all unlimited data (Note II, Droid Charge and a Jetpack.) We have 700 minutes and the cheapest set of text messages. We typically go at a minimum 10GB a month, but when we're both Netflix heavy, we've seen 40-80GB. I am hoping to be paid off with the Note II by December, then I can get whatever Android sexiness exists (perhaps even the Note 3 and just give the wife the Note II.)

The only reason I even posted on this thread was to combat the haters...I do a casual search on Verizon Unlimited Data, just in case there is "official" word, and so far, so good.

Next time you upgrade, why not add a dumb phone line? You can transfer the upgrades from your 3 unlimited lines to it.

cg101

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Next time you upgrade, why not add a dumb phone line? You can transfer the upgrades from your 3 unlimited lines to it.

To be honest, it just sounded like too much work. Plus, I didn't want to be on the hook for another contract. It is actually cheaper to just get a phone full retail and not be on the hook for a 2 year contract.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I hope this isn't true for Verizon users! I know many people who stay only because of their unlimited plans are being honored.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
That's my case. Not renewing the contact and as soon as they drop unlimited, my home and office are both migrating. We're all going T-Mobile has service here by then.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I'll have to reserve judgement until there is more concrete information to go on. In the meantime, I'm not too concerned about it. In the end, it's going to take a lot more than losing unlimited data to make me consider leaving Verizon as they provide THE best coverage (voice and LTE) where I live, work and travel (also get a substantial employee discount). :)

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I'll have to reserve judgement until there is more concrete information to go on. In the meantime, I'm not too concerned about it. In the end, it's going to take a lot more than losing unlimited data to make me consider leaving Verizon as they provide THE best coverage (voice and LTE) where I live, work and travel (also get a substantial employee discount). :)

X2.

And in my case, Verizon is substantially cheaper once you factor in the subsidy compared to tmo. Tmo does offer more, but on stuff I don't need (besides unlimited data).

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe