RUMOR: Verizon to ditch Unlimited Data for all in a year or so

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Re: RUMOR: Verizon to ditch Unlimited Data for all in a year or do

As a corporate employee, I know that tech support wouldn't really be in the know on when stuff that may or may not happen. I think this is probably someone trying to sound important and sound like they know something. As a person that deals with plans and plan changes daily, we here about these things last minute ourselves.

Well, I should rephrase that. The initial person I spoke with mentioned it. I then sort of set the table for advanced tech support and they said it too. Days later when I had to talk to Customer Loyalty about a concern they mentioned it also without me saying a word. But not all reps mention it so obviously something isn't public yet. Whether it happens or not is still up in the air and if it does then many will look for alternatives.

Based on the way carriers are going though it seems as if it is bound to happen.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II

cg101

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
It does require a little work, but honestly, not that much. I think it is pretty safe to assume that unlimited data would be safe at least for another year. So let's say that you got s4 , and in a year you want to move to tmobile, you would pay $460 ($200 contract price + $30 upgrade + $230 etf). That compared to $650 retail but honestly there are deals that come up all the time like when the note 2 was $50 or the dna was $50 money maker after gc.

The Verizon s4 has band 4 lte radio , so it would get tmobile 4GLTE once verizon allows it.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

I dunno if it's because I'm an MBA currently taking Accounting and Corp. Finance, but I had to reconsider the alternate upgrade route. I decided to do the math and put in the work for getting the Note 3 after all. (After almost 2 months with the Note II, I gotta have the Note 3 on my unlimited data plan!)

There seems to be some issues with the alternate upgrade as seen today in that thread (I posted there my issue.) I'm hoping it is cleared up and Verizon did NOT close that loophole OR made it so that a basic phone will have a dataplan! That would suck.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
No one has indicated that the process has failed, just that it may require one additional phone call or online task to remove the data plan from the dumb phone line. It worked 100% for me 3 weeks ago. As long as you retain unlimited, 2 minutes extra work is worth it IMO.

cg101

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
No one has indicated that the process has failed, just that it may require one additional phone call or online task to remove the data plan from the dumb phone line. It worked 100% for me 3 weeks ago. As long as you retain unlimited, 2 minutes extra work is worth it IMO.

2 seconds, 2 minutes, 2 hours, 2 days, 2 weeks, 2 months, etc., etc....I will spend whatever time is necessary to ensure that I do not lose my Verizon Unlimited Data. I just wanted to make sure that when I get my Note 3 in a couple of weeks, I, myself, don't do anything stupid. I will be looking at the instruction thread everyday until the Note 3's arrival. :)

Your reassurance is helpful, and for that I thank you. :) Just want to make sure I do retain unlimited and I will do whatever is required to make sure I do.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
2 seconds, 2 minutes, 2 hours, 2 days, 2 weeks, 2 months, etc., etc....I will spend whatever time is necessary to ensure that I do not lose my Verizon Unlimited Data. I just wanted to make sure that when I get my Note 3 in a couple of weeks, I, myself, don't do anything stupid. I will be looking at the instruction thread everyday until the Note 3's arrival. :)

Your reassurance is helpful, and for that I thank you. :) Just want to make sure I do retain unlimited and I will do whatever is required to make sure I do.

Shouldn't be a problem, just did it with the G2 on release day. In fact ordered online for in store pick up, got it same day. The store guy didn't even activate it, told him I was in a hurry and he just gave it to me in the box. Did everything myself at home.

Tapatalk mofo

cg101

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Shouldn't be a problem, just did it with the G2 on release day. In fact ordered online for in store pick up, got it same day. The store guy didn't even activate it, told him I was in a hurry and he just gave it to me in the box. Did everything myself at home.

Tapatalk mofo

Was this a Verizon store or Best Buy? Also, when you did everything yourself, was it online, or on phone with Verizon?

Thanks.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Was this a Verizon store or Best Buy? Also, when you did everything yourself, was it online, or on phone with Verizon?

Thanks.

It was a Verizon store, I did part online but did have to call to put the old phone back on the right number. But they asked no questions and did it with no problem. The key no matter how you do it is only give the info they need! You never have to tell them why you are doing it (to keep unlimited) this is where people get told it can't happen etc... I don't think they are telling people wrong on purpose I think they just don't know (the people working the stores).

Tapatalk mofo

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone think Verizon's timetable may change, that is if they are planning to force everyone off of Unlimited eventually?
While it may not be a huge group of people, there are those that used the loophole trick and the software glitch to extend their unlimited data lines though September 2015. If the loophole still stays open, some could extend their lines through 2016.

If Verizon was going to do something, what makes July, 2014 anymore likely than September, 2015 or any other date for that matter?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone think Verizon's timetable may change, that is if they are planning to force everyone off of Unlimited eventually?
While it may not be a huge group of people, there are those that used the loophole trick and the software glitch to extend their unlimited data lines though September 2015. If the loophole still stays open, some could extend their lines through 2016.

If Verizon was going to do something, what makes July, 2014 anymore likely than September, 2015 or any other date for that matter?

They won't force the people who used the upgrade.. They are going to honor it. They wouldn't want to change it later either because they are in contract and if Verizon changed their plan on them they could leave with no ETF Penalty.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

cg101

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site

If Verizon does do something, then July 2014 has become irrelevant thanks to people who took advantage of the glitch. My thinking is this all has something to do with the VoLTE rumor about how UL folks will be run out before VoLTE gets implemented, which by some accounts is 2016.

My opinion is all UL customers are good until at least 2016.This will be right around the time the glitch folk are out of contract. I mean, shoot, 2016 we're not going to be talking about Note 3s, G2s, Nexus 5s, or even the Galaxy S5. In any event, for the time being, all unlimited data customers are safe for the time being. July 2014 will be moot, and by extension, September 2015. 2016 will be what we have to worry about.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I think you bring up a good point. My situation may be a little different. I have 2 unlimited data lines that I want to keep, since they have value and have the ability to be used it tablets, phones, etc. I don't want to give them up.

I also don't care---thanks to Google Voice--what my actual carrier's phone # is.

I have 2 lines that I recently extended through the loophole trick---not the software glitch---till 9/22/2015. I am planning to use one at all times, while keeping the other one suspended without billing. I'll alternate throughout the year and use one for 3 months and then the other. Verizon lets you suspend any line for up to 6 months in a year. Half of the year, I'll use one and half I'll use the other.

If this works, I should be able to get safely into 2017 with unlimited data.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana