Phone broke, anyway to bypass insurance replacement fee? PLEASE Help

legia93

May 6, 2014
Visit site
Hey all. So I have a Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4 with 1 year remaining on my contract. A few days ago out of nowhere the screen just stopped working. The phone itself works as I can hear a sound when it turns on/get a notification and the little led lights up but the screen is completely black. I have no use of screen functions whatsoever so basically I can't do anything with this phone any longer.

I talked to Verizon and they said there's basically 2 options. I can go into the store and have them assess the phone for me to check for any visible damage (there is a very small crack towards the upper left corner of the screen), and so they would charge a damage replacement fee of $250. The other option is to get a replacement through my insurance which would come out to $100.

I found a verizon galaxy s3 mini the other day. I've tried getting in contact with the owner but to no avail. I have factory reset the found phone. Is there a way I can somehow activate this phone onto my plan? Can I insert my galaxy s4 simcard to the galaxy s3?

If there is no possible way the above would work could I buy a cheap used, unlocked verizon phone off ebay and activate that? Would I first have to deactivate my current galaxy s4? And if so would there be any fees associated with it?

Basically all I'm asking is do I have any other options other than those 2 provided to me from Verizon that I can take? I'm a broke college student and don't want to spend $100+ on a replacement phone just because my screen randomly decided to stop working.

Thanks all.

devman

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
The S3 Mini will work until the previous owner reports it lost or stolen at which point Verizon may blacklist it.

Changing the phone on a line of service had no associated costs the last time I did it. You can do it yourself online with MyVerizon.

If your going to buy a used phone, lots of people recommend swappa.com, I can't comment though I've never personally used it.

A more interesting question is why are you paying Verizon for insurance that you have no intention of using, its around $5 mo so a year in you've already paid $60 for having it. I'd cancel that immediately if you really are not going to use it.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I would contact Verizon and let them know that you found the phone.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
What devman said, a replacement phone will only cost $100. I'm assuming you got the insurance for a reason. I can't think of any other reason than to use it as it is intended to be used. I fail to see why since it's the least costly solution you would go some other direction?

Deb from my Note 3

huskers15

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Getting the phone for $100 through asurion is brand new Go the insurance route.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using AC Forums mobile app

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Hey all. So I have a Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4 with 1 year remaining on my contract. A few days ago out of nowhere the screen just stopped working. The phone itself works as I can hear a sound when it turns on/get a notification and the little led lights up but the screen is completely black. I have no use of screen functions whatsoever so basically I can't do anything with this phone any longer.

I talked to Verizon and they said there's basically 2 options. I can go into the store and have them assess the phone for me to check for any visible damage (there is a very small crack towards the upper left corner of the screen), and so they would charge a damage replacement fee of $250. The other option is to get a replacement through my insurance which would come out to $100.

I found a verizon galaxy s3 mini the other day. I've tried getting in contact with the owner but to no avail. I have factory reset the found phone. Is there a way I can somehow activate this phone onto my plan? Can I insert my galaxy s4 simcard to the galaxy s3?

If there is no possible way the above would work could I buy a cheap used, unlocked verizon phone off ebay and activate that? Would I first have to deactivate my current galaxy s4? And if so would there be any fees associated with it?

Basically all I'm asking is do I have any other options other than those 2 provided to me from Verizon that I can take? I'm a broke college student and don't want to spend $100+ on a replacement phone just because my screen randomly decided to stop working.

Thanks all.

If the phone is still under the manufacturers warranty (1 yr I think for Samsung) or you got the extended warranty then they should replace the phone at no charge. They will inspect the phone in the store to make sure there isn't any physical damage/water damage which wouldn't be covered under the warranty. If they find physical damage or water damage then you'd have to make a claim through Asurion.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Op said that there is a small crack on the upper left corner

CarrierPigeon

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Getting the phone for $100 through asurion is brand new Go the insurance route.

not necessarily.... most of the time, it will be a refurbished phone in good condition.(i.e. no scratches) if not, keep exchanging it with Asurion.

once in a blue moon, Asurion will send out a brand-new phone because they ran out of the refurbished phones :)

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Op said that there is a small crack on the upper left corner

Oh your right, missed that. Ya, looks like only way is to go through insurance and pay the deductible.

CarrierPigeon

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Oh your right, missed that. Ya, looks like only way is to go through insurance and pay the deductible.

I would take it to the local Verizon corporate store and see what they say first.
Some of them are very sympathetic and may not charge the OP for a CLNR
replacement. Best not to mention it at all... just hand it over and say "it doesn't
turn on anymore...." This is where it pays to have a 90-year-old grandma.
I had mine take the phone it for me(after adding her name to my account's
authorized users first, of course) No Verizon store has the heart to turn her
down. :) If no grandma, just find a nice old lady in the neighborhood... :)

If none of those things work, just go back to option #1, which is to pay $100
to Asurion and get a refurbished replacement S4. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38