my first ever negative Verizon experience!

GivenToFly

Dec 30, 2009
www.apexautosound.com
<rant>

So I've had my Droid for over 2 months now, and I've never used Wifi until a about a week ago when I was away at a conference where I didn't have a signal. So I connected up no problem. I come back home, and at my shop we have an old wireless router that is wireless b. My Droid won't connect to it. I look it up, thinking it's too old for the droid, but it isn't. Then I head to another location that also still has a wireless b router. Won't connect. Connects to Wireless G routers just fine. Soooo....

I go to our Verizon Wireless Store (w/ service center, not a kiosk) and explain the problem. First they told me that they couldn't do anything because they couldn't duplicate the problem (they have a wireless G router there which connects just fine), Then they tell me I should just update the routers at my shop (which I am, but not the point). Basically they told me that they won't do anything because that's not a warrantyable (sp?) issue. BS!! I paid $300 for this phone, and I want every advertised feature to work as it should.

I don't necesarilly need the b wireless in order to conduct normal business on my phone when I'm at home or work, but what if I'm in a situation as I was at the conference, but they had an old router? I have emails that need sending, amongst other things I need internet for. So to be told that they won't warranty it because it's not a valid hardware issue? My wife and I have both had Verizon for what must be like 10 years now. We both buy phones almost every year, and we've never had problems with warranty or anything. This is our first problem, but it's a biggie to me. And I guess I'm just pissed, and wondering how I should handle this from this point.

</rant>

ERDude

Oct 21, 2009
www.droidtalk.net
If it's compatible with "b" than it certainly is an issue that should be covered by the warranty.

Manager or try phone tech, tell them what happened and see what they say. I've found I usually get better service from the phone techs.

As a side note the local Verizon store here has 3rd party techs (non-employees), and I know for a fact they earn bonuses based on certain guidelines and warranty/insurance exchanges are one of them. If they keep below a predetermined number they get a bonus each quarter.

If you want to know if your store techs are Verizon employees or contract employees, look at their ID cards it says contractor on the bottom under their name.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
but what if I'm in a situation as I was at the conference, but they had an old router? I have emails that need sending, amongst other things I need internet for

Send them over Verizon's network?

how I should handle this from this point.

A single Verizon store told you they wouldn't replace it. If it's that important to you, go to a different store or call up tech support and let them know it will not connect to Wi-Fi. Don't go into all the details, just tell them it won't connect. They will send you a replacement.

Having said that, I would think a little bit more about the circumstances causing your phone not to connect:

1) Is the SSID being broadcasted from your router?
2) Are you using Wi-Fi encryption?
3) Are your access points running in mixed mode?

Any of these variables could cause problems that wouldn't be fixed just by simply replacing the phone.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I've had problems connecting to old 802.11b routers with some PCs that were often solved by upgrading the flash ROM on the router itself. I'd go to the support website for each of the routers, see if there are updates to the router software, and apply the latest. In many cases you may be adding some security patches as well.

Another thing you could try (and this is extreme, but may be worth it, if you can demonstrate a real problem) is to bring your router to the VZW store with you and see if their demo unit will connect to it. If it does, then you have demonstrated a flaw with your phone. If it does not, then you have demonstrated a possible flaw that a new phone would not fix.

misskitcate

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
VZW techs are there to troubleshoot your phone - not your home's wireless router... If it connects to other wireless routers just fine, guess where the problem lies? ;)

And MOST store techs work for Flextronics - huge difference, they couldn't care less if you're happy with VZW to be honest, I know way too many of them...

GivenToFly

Dec 30, 2009
www.apexautosound.com
Update:

#1 the problem is not my router, it wouldn't connect to ANY b router, but would connect to all G routers, so wasn't just my router. As a matter of luck, the phone started dropping off G routers shortly after, so there was definately a problem with the phone. after weeks of deteriorating wifi performance, it finally didn't pick up the router at the Verizon store, and they then replaced it.

As for cory streaters reply "why not send it over verizons network" if you read the first lines of my original post, you'd see the reason for my problem is that there are occasions where I go places for my job that I don't have reliable coverage, and may still have older technologies in place. Not to mention that I expect my $300 smartphone to do what it's advertised to do.

It shouldn't take several trips and phone calls to customer service to get it fixed.

misskitcate

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
The reason they make sure to duplicate the problem in the store isn't to give you a hard time. If they give you another phone and send that one back to the warehouse - and the warehouse can't duplicate the issue - you'll get charged back full retail of the phone. And no rep can credit back charges from the warehouse once on your account. FYI :)

GivenToFly

Dec 30, 2009
www.apexautosound.com
The reason they make sure to duplicate the problem in the store isn't to give you a hard time. If they give you another phone and send that one back to the warehouse - and the warehouse can't duplicate the issue - you'll get charged back full retail of the phone. And no rep can credit back charges from the warehouse once on your account. FYI :)

good go know, especially since the new phone they gave me seems to lock up and restart when connecting to the bluetooth in my car. ( I know they'll give me crap saying they can't guarantee compatability blah blah, but the other droid worked just fine with my pioneer bluetooth. I'm dreading going back there.

misskitcate

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
Ah I'm sorry - and unfortunately you do have to go back there... calling in won't help much seeing phone techs aren't really able/ required to help with that car syncing :(

I know sometimes there aren't many stores to choose from - and I apologize to flextronics employee's - but seriously try to find a "rainbow" location with actual Verizon employees in the tech department

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
While I understand your frustration here's something you may not have considered:

Do you really want to press this and get your two month old NEW Droid replaced with a who knows how old REFURBISHED one? Refurb phones with Verizon and Assuraion are hit and miss in my experience and from the people I have talked to (if you do go that route I would recommend you get one sent out to you not get one from the store).

If you think you are going to connect to a B router often then the answer is obviously yes, but you indicated that you are going to be upgrading the one in your shop, so that location will no longer be a problem.

It's also possible this is hardware or software flaw in the phone itself in which case a replacement would not help, or a flaw in the software that the 2.1 upgrade could fix.

Food for thought :)