We have root and recovery

csrow

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
This thread is to summarize the current root process and the link to a custom recovery.

Root:
The root is based on the new zergrush exploit.

First download the USB driver from the LG site. This is the driver for OV but it will work fine for OS.
http://www.lg-phones.org/wp-content/uploads/LG-Optimus-V.zip

Use the above USB driver instead of the LG Esteem driver and follow the instruction in this root instruction.

Once the process finishes, your phone should be rooted.

Recovery

Here is the link to a CWM recovery for OS made possible by BobZhome.

Enjoy.

Last edited:

one80oneday

Jan 25, 2011
twitter.com
Why wait until next week...when you can have it now!
Here is CWM v5.0.2.6 for the Slider: VS700_recovery.img

To install:
1) Download the recovery to your sdcard
2) Open Terminal
3) Type in the following
su
flash_image recovery /sdcard/VS700_recovery.img
reboot recovery

This should install your new recovery, and reboot you into it.

Thanks BobZhome and csrow!

jsngonz

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Damn, the LG Optimus Slider was released in stores not too long ago and codyth53 and BobZhome managed to install a custom recovery on it quickly. You guys are AWESOME! I have planned to sell my OV and purchase the OS this Friday and without you guys, I dont know what I would do because as we all know, custom ROMs are better than stock ROMs. This just made me more excited to get it! Cant wait! THANK YOU!!!

varpness

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I'll work on a CM7 rom, but I need a backup of a stock system.img. The one codyth53 got me is corrupt, I can't extract it. Make sure you thank codyth53, his boot.img help me make the CWM recovery ;)

I kinda used Titanium to delete a couple of crappy apps. Can you still use an img from my phone?

jetteye

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I will have mine charged and rooted later tonight.. Do you need another IMG. file.. If so do you want any bloatware removed before I make the file.. Oh and thanks BobZhome!! I had the OV before this, and you and Blarf, Mrg666, JerryScript, made that phone worth a damn... Heres to getting the OS ported to CM7.1...

BobZhome

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I renamed the recovery to VM701_recovery.img, it is still the same file just renamed. I made a mistake in naming it, because VM701 is the model number for the Virgin Mobile Optimus Slider and VS700 is the model number for the Sprint version. I don't want the Sprint people trying to flash this thinking it's for there phone.

csrow, can you edit your OP to reflex the correct model number...I do not wish to brick any phones.
Thanks!

csrow

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Bob, since your original instruction has been changed with the correct file name and the modified instruction, I just deleted my addition and left it pointing to your post. This will eliminate the double instruction.

Thanks.

Last edited:

jsngonz

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
I had just purchased a OS yesterday and I just love the smell of new electronics! Very excited! Im also satisfied with its specs but I wanted to know if I am having a touchscreen malfunction. Every android device I have purchased had fluid movements while scrolling. After testing the device to make sure everything works well, I have noticed that scrolling is not fluid. While scrolling anything slowly, it seems to scroll in steps. Has anyone else experienced this? Is this normal? And if this is normal, is this something resolved with a custom ROM and Kernel?

oatflake

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Back to the original topic - turns out this phone can be easily rooted under Mac OS X also. You don't need to install any drivers.

Just unpack the zip file and grab the su, busybox, SuperUser.apk, zergrush files and then type the commands you see in "run.bat" but substitute your path to the adb program in OS X terminal.

It works just fine!

crux

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
im having an issue trying to install the custom recovery bob posted. i keep getting flash_image not found. cannot install flash_image through adb either because adb isn't found too! :/ any help?

csrow

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
im having an issue trying to install the custom recovery bob posted. i keep getting flash_image not found. cannot install flash_image through adb either because adb isn't found too! :/ any help?

If you are rooted,

1) Copy over the flash_image from your computer to SD card via USB drive.

2) Once you have both files on the SD card, go to the Market and download the Android Terminal Emulator app.

3) Run the terminal app from your OS and type in the command shown in the instruction.

BobZhome

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I have had issues with my system, CM, and Slider Audio...still working on it.
Can someone grab me the config.gz file and post it somewhere?
It's located in /proc/config.gz
Thanks!

Reactions: csrow

crux

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
If you are rooted,

1) Copy over the flash_image from your computer to SD card via USB drive.

2) Once you have both files on the SD card, go to the Market and download the Android Terminal Emulator app.

3) Run the terminal app from your OS and type in the command shown in the instruction.

right, that's what i did. when i type in flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img (i renamed it so i have less to type) i get "flash_image not found"

even typing in flash_image alone returns "flash_image not found"

i have tried manually installing flash_image too using adb, and adb isn't found either. :/

csrow

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
right, that's what i did. when i type in flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img (i renamed it so i have less to type) i get "flash_image not found"

even typing in flash_image alone returns "flash_image not found"

i have tried manually installing flash_image too using adb, and adb isn't found either. :/

You do not install flash_image. It's just an executable file. You just need to copy it over to your phone.

Make sure you follow all the commands listed in the instruction. You have to be in the System directory before you can run the flash_image since the instruction moves it there.

Follow the instruction exactly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member