rich95838

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Can someone convince me to load the cm7 rom? What will I really gain by doing it? I maybe an engineer but I am not going to load something just for loading sake. One of those, if something right now is not broke, why do it?

ccody1

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
If you need to be convinced to do it then you really don't want it. If your happy with what ya have, no reason to go messing around with things.

Whyzor

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I was thinking the same. Coming from stock ROM, I wanted to give IHO CM7.1 a try, if anything I needed wasn't working, I'd go to a stable Froyo 2.2-based ROM like Harmonia or Bumblebee. But It's been exceeding my expecatations (as long as you use clockworkmod recovery & follow the install directions properly) so as to not have random bugs introduced by improper installs.

CM7.1 gives me:

- Latest Android 2.3.5, with all its OS fixes/security patches/memory optimzations.
- Notification widget for quickly turning on/off GPS/3G/Wifi/BT..etc. (only 2 actions needed, swipe down & press after it's setup) There are other apps, but this one is efficient and accessible from the status bar anywhere.
- battery percentage built-in in statusbar.
- battery usage plot/graph over time built-in.
- less than 1%/hour battery drain idling with cell signal.
- GB's built-in VoiP calling works pretty well over wifi (over 3G, it's choppy prob due to VM's network). Groove IP doesn't yet.
- faster charging over USB.

As of 0730's build, one of the major remaining issues BT is fixed too.

Last edited:

pcp135

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I was thinking the same. Coming from stock ROM, I wanted to give IHO CM7.1 a try, if anything I needed wasn't working, I'd go to a stable Froyo 2.2-based ROM like Harmonia or Bumblebee. But It's been exceeding my expecatations (as long as you use clockworkmod recovery & follow the install directions properly) so as to not have random bugs introduced by improper installs.

CM7.1 gives me:

- Latest Android 2.3.5, with all its OS fixes/security patches/memory optimzations.
- Notification widget for quickly turning on/off GPS/3G/Wifi/BT..etc. (only 2 actions needed, swipe down & press after it's setup) There are other apps, but this one is efficient and accessible from the status bar anywhere.
- battery percentage built-in in statusbar.
- battery usage plot/graph over time built-in.
- less than 1%/hour battery drain idling with cell signal.
- GB's built-in VoiP calling works pretty well over wifi (over 3G, it's choppy prob due to VM's network). Groove IP doesn't yet.
- faster charging over USB.

As of 0730's build, one of the major remaining issues BT is fixed too.

What's the built in VoIP in GB? Is it also there in AOSP 2.3.4? Where? Thanks.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
What's the built in VoIP in GB? Is it also there in AOSP 2.3.4? Where? Thanks.

Settings > Scroll to bottom > click accounts > add account > input info there > hit back > check the receive incoming calls box and your setup.

Yes it is in 2.3.4 its native to GB so its been in every build.

rich95838

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback. I was looking for what the rom could do. I am on a rooted stock rom now. Thank you whyzor for your input and help. I think I will give it a try and see if I like it. Again I appreciate everyone's analysis. Have a good one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty