New OV owner..

dfrandin

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I just switched out my old VM Samsung Intercept for a used LG Optimus V. Since the main reason I have a smartphone is to be able to use OpenVPN, once I got the phones switched out with VM, I rooted the OV and put CM7 on it. Everything seems to be working fine, but I have a couple of questions.. First one is, I noticed that after I rooted/CM7'ed the phone, it seems to think I'm on Sprint. ie: all the places where the old Samsung said "VirginMobile", I'm seeing "Sprint" on this phone. The phone is an externally branded VM phone, which I bought on eBay. I do know that VM piggy-backs on Sprints network. Is this normal when using a 3rd party rom? Second, I notice that CM7 seems to have a built-in wifi tethering capability. On the old Samsung I used to use Banacle wifi tether, but apparently the LG is not supported. I rarely use the tether, but its saved my butt several times when I couldnt find a wifi access point for my laptop and used the phone to get online. Yeah.. I know VM doesn't like it, but I don't ever come close to even their new 2.5GB throttling limits. Does the CM7 tether work on VM (or be made to work?) or is there a 3rd party tether app that works? All of the ones I checked on the marketplace say they dont work on the OV... Other than these questions, the OV is unbelievably faster (as far as I can see) then the old Samsung...

Thanks
Dave

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
What rom did you install? It sounds like you might have used a old asopbot version. None of the newer CM7 variants have the wrong carrier name.

Wifi tether kinda depends on the phone and whether or not you have the new update.

dfrandin

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I rooted/flashed the unit using the procedure found at Chuck Choongyeun Cho's Web. and it suggested..

"Currently, my favourite one is a fairly recent version of Zefie?s CM7.
You can find it by googling ?update-cm-7-04282011-NIGHTLY-thunderc-Xionia-signed.zip?

Since the only unit I'd ever rooted/flashed was my old Samsung (and BOY! was THAT a learning experience!), I followed those instructions to the letter..

Thanks

arnold1997

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
U flashed a really old rom try flasing BACKside it is right here in the Optimus V rooting, roms, and hacks.
Very stable. And yes the tethering does work perfectly

dfrandin

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Will check that out.. I'm kinda antsy about flashing another rom, as I've spent a goodly amount of time installing all the apps I had on my old Samsung, and I'm pretty sure all that work goes out the window when I flash again.. One other question: I still have the car charger for my old Samsung. Will it work to charge the LG? or do I have to buy a specific car charger? Both the Samsung and LG have the same micro-usb connector..

Thanks

bjzapp

Where did u hear tht word
Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Will check that out.. I'm kinda antsy about flashing another rom, as I've spent a goodly amount of time installing all the apps I had on my old Samsung, and I'm pretty sure all that work goes out the window when I flash again.. One other question: I still have the car charger for my old Samsung. Will it work to charge the LG? or do I have to buy a specific car charger? Both the Samsung and LG have the same micro-usb connector..

Thanks

Well, if it fits it fits! ;) will charge it
as far as you apps.... download a restore app that will save all your apk's and data. Much less of a hassle when you change ROMS

kcls

May 5, 2011
Visit site

Thanks

Here's what you are going to want to do. You are using an extremely old version of CM. Like, back from when this phone was just coming out. It is extremely unstable and you will be glad you flashed a more recent version of Cyanogenmod. Download an app like TitaniumBackup from the market, and batch backup all of your USER apps. Not the system ones. Download a ROM like Harmonia, BACKside, or Mirage from the Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks forum right here on AndroidCentral. Wipe everything and reflash one of the above ROMs just like you did with your original. Setup your google account and redownload TitaniumBackup from the market, and restore all of your apps, data included. You can buy the pro version and batch reinstall them all with one click, but with the free version, you have to click install for each app. No biggie, of course. You will be glad you did this, because everything will be working on your phone again, unlike your current ROM. And yes, your old charger should work. I currently use a HTC one, so I believe they're universal.

Reactions: dfrandin

dfrandin

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Cool! Thanks.. I'm kind of a noob on Android.. Didnt realize apps could be backed up with Titanium backup... That will make it much easier to get a newer rom...

Thanks (clicked the thanks button too)

crickie

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Everything you'll need for peaceful & productive coexistence with your new OV is right here in this forum. Enjoy & welcome!

dfrandin

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Thanks!! I found the BACKside IHO rom, and was able to get it on the OV with no problems, and now the wifi tether seems to work fine.. Still gotta test it with the laptop...