Switching Out a Partitioned SD Card

damiandownfall

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I bought a SanDisk 32gb Class 4 Micro SD Card and currently have a SanDisk 16gb Class (?) Micro SD Card.

My current card has a 1.5gb ext4 partition with 0 swap and I'm running on the MiRaGe ROM with Link2SD being used religiously.

I'm giving my current SD card to my wife and planned on leaving it partitioned for her and setup Link2SD for her. However...

How can I clear out both the card and partition (to give to her) and also how do I replace that cleared stuff onto this new card (which I will be partitioning the same way - 1.5gb ext4 swap0) so that Link2SD is completely oblivious to the switch???

Last edited:

damiandownfall

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
In the custom recovery menu.
Mounts and Storage option.
Format the SD ext first, then format the SD card.

Well no that'll just clear it. I want that cleared stuff on the new card/new ext4. Is it really as simple as just copying all the files from one to the other?

(my real question here is about copying the ext from one card to the other using a Windows computer)

damiandownfall

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
In the custom recovery menu.
Mounts and Storage option.
Format the SD ext first, then format the SD card.

Here's what I think would do it (please correct me if I'm wrong) -

First I make a Nandroid backup, without any card changes (this will in turn backup my sd-ext as well).

Then I copy everything from the original card onto my computer (including the Nandroid I just made).

Then I format the current card (sd-ext first) in ZenGarden. Now the card is hers.

Put in my new card and partition it the same way as the old card. Then paste everything I copied onto my computer onto this new card (including the Nandroid).

Restore the Nandroid backup (which will also restore the sd-ext things to its rightful place) and Link2SD won't know anything happened...

Am I correct??? Please confirm.

tli

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site

Then I format the current card (sd-ext first) in ZenGarden. Now the card is hers.

I've never personally done this routine, but it's quite plausible. However, I would leave this step out to the very end--until I'm absolutely sure that the new card is indeed working as before. This way if the copied new card doesn't work, I would still have the original card.

damiandownfall

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I've never personally done this routine, but it's quite plausible. However, I would leave this step out to the very end--until I'm absolutely sure that the new card is indeed working as before. This way if the copied new card doesn't work, I would still have the original card.

True. Thanks.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89