Extreme wallpaper frustration

JoshH37#WN

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Well I believe this will be my first post on Android Central and I am sorry it has to be a negative one.

After some frustration with a lot of the background applications in the Android Market either not having the wallpapers I want or not allowing me to save them to my SD card I decided to resize and download some other 320x480 wallpapers and simply email them to my phone.

The wallpapers show up beautifully on my phone and when checking the status show up at the hero's resolution of 320x480, but when I go to set them as my background I get a small box that will only allow me to select a portion of the photo. I am simply looking for a way to use the entire picture and set it as my background. Any help on the situation will be much appreciated. Thanks in Advance.

JoshH37#WN

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Not really understanding the move of this thread. I understand there is a wallpaper forum but this is a very Hero specific question. I suppose if I don't recieve an answer here due to lack of response I will move to another forum. : /

pbrennan42

Dec 17, 2009
www.philipbrennan.net
The way I did it was make my wallpaper 960x1440 and put the stuff you want visible right in the middle.

You're better off saving as a high quality JPEG rather than a PNG to reduce file size.

I hope this helps.

Phil.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Make the wallpaper 640x480 @72dpi for the Hero. Careful with gradients, as they get pixelated if you load them from the sd card.

If you're rooted and understand how to push/pull system apk's -
pull Rosie.apk from your phone and open the archive.
You will see 50 jpg files, 25 at 640x480 and 25 that are thumbnails in /res/drawable/
You can replace those backgrounds with your own, just keep the original names.
Push Rosie.apk back to your phone, reboot and use the wallpaper gallery to select your new wallpapers, and you'll get them in high quality.

pbrennan42

Dec 17, 2009
www.philipbrennan.net
My answer works best for the Pulse as in theory you can have infinite desktops with it. It comes with 6 usable desktops straight out of the box in a 3x2 grid, but if you start dumping icons off to the outside edges of these desktops it automatically creates more desktop space.

So if I dump an icon above the top middle desktop I get a new row of three desktops to play with, making a 3x3 grid of nine desktops.

I do not know if this works the same on other phones.

Phil.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Unfortunately that slick piece of UI is only on the Pulse. IMO that is the way to handle multiple desktops. 3 is enough for me, while 7 is not enough for others :)

pbrennan42

Dec 17, 2009
www.philipbrennan.net
Now if it was running Android 1.6 Donut or 2.0 Eclair it would be a hot piece of kit, even with a processor barely over half a ghz...

Ah well, when I am in the money once more I will treat myself to a really good phone...

Phil.

shdwjackal

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Ok, if you're using a Moto Droid, get any pic u want and resize it to 960 x 854. This will take up the entire screen. You need to account for the sides, as the Droid has 3 screens, and the WP will stretch past the main screen.

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
The wallpapers show up beautifully on my phone and when checking the status show up at the hero's resolution of 320x480, but when I go to set them as my background I get a small box that will only allow me to select a portion of the photo.
If it's anything like the Droid you can resize the box. You're stuck with a fixed aspect ratio though.