So I'm currently switching plans under Sprint and have to buy a new phone. Although I'm still researching, it looks like I'm eventually going to choose between the Palm Pixi (free), Palm Pre ($50), Sanyo Zio ($100), Samsung Transform ($150), and HTC Hero($150).

I currently have a Blackberry Curve 8350, which I really detest. It's very sluggish and has few quality apps (go Blackberry!). My main dillemma is whether to go with android or palm, as I haven't previously used either. I really want a good selection of apps and a phone that performs well for the price.

At first, I was pretty set on witching to Android, but the webOS seems to have the advantage in UI and possibly even performance (with multitasking and the ability to overclock). I'm practically starving for applications, thought, and I'm not convinced that WebOS can compete.

I'm not trying to start any arguments, but simply need some good input regarding the phones. BTW, I'm going to post this over at precentral too, just to make sure I get a balanced input .

Thanks in advance for any advice given.
    10-13-2010 09:36 PM
    I heart WebOS, Palm, and their awesome magnetic chargers. WebOS is a gorgeous multitasker... and ridiculously intuitive with all the gestures but the hardware is a disappointment. It's adequate at best. HP will breath some new, fresh life into the OS but go for android... but if apps are really what you're looking for... dare I say leap over to the iphone?
    zcsm9 likes this.
    10-14-2010 02:57 AM
    Well, the iphone is pretty much out of the question. The plan I'm getting with Sprint can't be touched by AT&T. Everything else you said seems to be the going consensus. I haven't really looked at the hero's forum much, but if it can be overclocked, I think that would sell it for me. It's also hard to say what each OS will look like in the next year, in terms of apps available. Of course Android will keep growing, but I'm not sure that WebOS will do the same.
    10-14-2010 08:53 AM
    WebOS is nice, but the palm phones, both current and forthcoming are behind the times. I had a pre and it was nice, but loving droid on my Epic. No faith in Palm/HP on their hardware.
    zcsm9 likes this.
    10-14-2010 09:50 AM
    Okay, but do you think any android phone for Sprint (excluding the 4g ones) would be less behind the times than an overclocked Pre?
    10-14-2010 10:18 AM
    IF you are talking about the current pre or pixi, i would think the Transform will beat it out, even if the pre was OCed. I do not know about the other phones.
    zcsm9 likes this.
    10-14-2010 12:02 PM
    Yeah, I was originally looking at the Transform, since it seems to have a lot going for it. Unfortunately, the few reviews I've read of it give the impression that it could have been polished up a little more before being shipped out.
    10-14-2010 01:23 PM
    A lot of Android devices can be overclocked as well, an example utility is SetCPU which is popular at least in the Motorola camp. Sadly I'm not familiar with most of Sprint's offerings barring a passing familiarity with the Epic/Evo so I can't speak directly towards your situation.

From my perspective "apps" is a pretty vague requirement. What I liked about Android is that I could explore the available apps on AppBrain and even virtually install them into my account with only a Google ID. That can give you a good idea of what's out there before you make a commitment, but checking out the phone-specific forums here will give you an idea of each manufacturer's "flavor" and the ups and downs of each model.
    zcsm9 likes this.
    10-14-2010 02:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD