I am trying to Unroot my Xoom, so that I can run the 3.1 Update. My Xoom is a WiFi version, and I rooted it yesterday. I have all of my motorola drivers installed. When I run the adb "adb reboot bootloader" and it restarts, I get a hung message that says "Starting Fastboot protocol support".

I have seen that some people have resolved it, but they did not say how they did it. Adb is communicating with the device; however, when I try to send a command during this stuck screen, I get "waiting on device" message.

Help??
    05-13-2011 12:35 AM
    Also if you could either email me or say something, that would be cool!
    05-13-2011 12:39 AM
    I hope somebody can help with this! It's driving me crazy!!! lol
    05-13-2011 12:50 AM
    when you type in:

adb reboot bootloader
    It IS supposed to go to the bootloader and give you access to fastboot. When the Xoom is in the bootloader screen you use "fastboot.exe" from the SDK and NOT adb .

Once you get the stock images from here: MOTODEV > Products > Device Software

run these commands:

fastboot flash boot boot.img
    fastboot flash system system.img
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    fastboot flash userdata userdata.img
    fastboot erase cache
    fastboot oem lock
    then you'll be at stock.
    05-13-2011 07:21 AM
    That's what I am saying. Regardless of if I use the volume down method, or through command line, it just sits on starting fastboot protocol
    05-13-2011 09:26 AM
    That's what I am saying. Regardless of if I use the volume down method, or through command line, it just sits on starting fastboot protocol
    That's fine, it means it's in the right mode. When it says starting fastboot protocol support it means the device is in fastboot and should respond to fastboot commands from your computer. I just saw your PM.

It looks like a driver problem, that your computer isn't recognizing the Xoom in fastboot mode. Try un plugging and re-plugging in the USB cable and try re-installing the drivers on your PC.
    05-13-2011 10:47 AM
    If you are using Windows 7 the drivers it installs are generic usb drivers. Update them manually from the following link and rooting will work. I had this exact same issue. For some reason the drivers installed by default don't have the needed functionality to go beyond the first reboot and fastboot startup.

USB and PC Charging Drivers - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA

Good luck
    05-13-2011 11:04 PM
    but doesn't debugging need to be enabled?
    05-15-2011 12:46 PM
    I get device not found.
    when you type in:

It IS supposed to go to the bootloader and give you access to fastboot. When the Xoom is in the bootloader screen you use "fastboot.exe" from the SDK and NOT adb .

Once you get the stock images from here: MOTODEV > Products > Device Software

run these commands:

then you'll be at stock.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    05-15-2011 01:58 PM
    I took it back and got a new one I think what happened, is whenever I rooted it, the same day, 3.1 came out. I tried to install 3.1 (without restocking it) and half way through the upgrade it failed and rebooted. I think this somehow or another screwed up Fastboot. I reinstalled all the moto drivers, SDK, etc, and to no avail. I think that the upgrade erased a driver that was needed for the fastboot menu.

All in all, it sucked, but I got a new one, WIFI again, and I probably won't root it!
    05-17-2011 07:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD