Chromebook constantly freezing

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Anyone else having any issues with their Chromebook completely locking up when loading web pages? Specifically Facebook. I constantly have to restart the device; Facebook causes the entire system to become unresponsive until I hold down the power button for a good amount of time.

Thoughts?

SkinsFan1987

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm having the same problem. I thought it was only with Facebook, but I'm having it happen regardless of where I go. It's incredibly aggravating.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 4

Algus

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
What does your extension situation look like? Barring something weird that is messing with the browser, I'd be inclined to believe you've got some bad hardware. The ARM Chromebook is starting to show its age but it should still work for basic browsing on a website like Facebook.

Test the notebook out as a guest or with a new profile first to get a clean experience. If you're still bugging up, power wash. If you've still got issues after that, you've probably got something wrong with the hardware.

Is the laptop only freezing when you're browsing the web (lol I know stupid question since it's a chromebook but it can do some stuff offline now...)

SkinsFan1987

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
I've done a powerwash, and I still have the same issue. I haven't done anything offline yet, but I"ll give that a try as well as trying as a guest.

mandyleet1972

Oct 16, 2016
Visit site
My Acer Chromebook is fairly new-- 2nd one I've had but becoming a PIA.. Always freezing.. I signed in as guest as was suggested and I'm NOT having the problem now.. What does this mean/what do I do?? I'm LOW-tech, so keep it easy, lol.. Thanks!!

oo B oo

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Anyone have a fix for this? I'm having the same issues. As stated mostly Facebook, specifically the deeper I go down my feed. Seems to happen most on the more taxing web pages. I've cleaned things up as much as possible and still am having issues.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Do you have any Chrome extensions installed? If so, try removing them temporarily to see if that helps.

VS2016

Nov 8, 2016
Visit site
Hi - same problem here too. After a few weeks of max frustration, I'm pretty sure it's the Google Docs extension. Does this make sense? If so, how can I fix it?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! When your Chromebook starts acting up, press Shift + Esc to bring up the Task Manager and see if any extension is using an inordinately large amount of memory.

VS2016

Nov 8, 2016
Visit site
That - task manager - doesn't work if the Chromebook is frozen.

I've disabled the Google Docs extension which I thought was the culprit, and it just crashed again when I was on facebook. Any other ideas? I've done a reset in the past two weeks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
My Acer C740 is on 54.0.2840.79. Check to see if you have an update available (in Menu>Help>About Chrome OS).

Justin Wittock

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
Mine freezes when i access web pages that have recurring ads on a timer. yours may be the same. weather.com is a bad one. not sure about facebook as i don't use it. before you're locked up, watch your reload button to see if there is recurring action. funny, even this website contains recurring ads and i'm "lagged", though not frozen yet, as i type this.

i have no solution. perhaps an ad blocker plugin?