Has no blue tooth support...

Effenhimer

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
So I got this as a rootable tablet that I would eventually be throwing ICS on and using it to stream games from services like Onlive. It meets the specs fine except that without bluetooth, it can't use to baked in controller support available in ICS... No complaints other than that, works well at whatever I've needed it for. And I'm sure they will come up with some hack, but if I would have checked, I might have waited on this one.

Buyer beware, I know, I know...

/end vent

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Amazon never claimed that the Kindle Fire supported bluetooth. That said, the chipset includes bluetooth and folks are seeing if it can be enabled.

Sent using Tapatalk

anon(392870)

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Never checked to see if it had it or not. Like I said, IF I would have checked...

I mean this in the kindest way possible but... isn't that kind of dumb?

If you had this elaborate plan how in the world could you NOT check if the thing had bluetooth? I know, it's rhetorical. But... you also came here and posted it. I don't even know...:-\

Effenhimer

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I guess mostly because its one of the only electronic devices made in the last few years that doesn't have it... I assumed it would. Shame on me I guess. And my "elaborate plan", I had some cash to spend, looked at the processor, checked on tablets in Australia that were using the referbed tablets with the streaming games systems, drove to best buy. Even my 3 year old car stereo has blue tooth. Yes, not looking it up was a bit of a fail on my part, but so was your "kindest way possible" comment.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Oh, look, another person who didn't read the specs and is complaining that something that was never promised to be in there isn't in there. You know that saying about what happens when you assume? Yeah.

anon(392870)

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I guess mostly because its one of the only electronic devices made in the last few years that doesn't have it... I assumed it would. Shame on me I guess. And my "elaborate plan", I had some cash to spend, looked at the processor, checked on tablets in Australia that were using the referbed tablets with the streaming games systems, drove to best buy. Even my 3 year old car stereo has blue tooth. Yes, not looking it up was a bit of a fail on my part, but so was your "kindest way possible" comment.

1) Root
2) Install ICS
3) Attach BT controller
4) Stream games

That's pretty elaborate if you ask me. :)

You're taking enough flak, I don't see much more reason to pile on. I'm sorry your plan didn't work out. Maybe they enable it in the future. Hopefully this will encourage you to read specs in the future. Cheers.

aapold

May 15, 2011
Visit site
The part that makes no sense is...

1 - they used a radio chip that has bluetooth.
2 - they sell a lot of bluetooth products on amazon

I dunno. Maybe they were worried about battery life if people left it on.

One other thing that occurs is that bluetooth support might allow getting around the not having a microphone, so that in effect you could do say skype calling.

anon(392870)

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site

One other thing that occurs is that bluetooth support might allow getting around the not having a microphone, so that in effect you could do say skype calling.

Yeah, I mean, I've questioned a lot of their decisions on a few of these things. No volume buttons, BT, honestly even 7-inch screen (though it has advantages).

I think some of the things are superfluous (I don't need a camera for instance. Yes it's nice if I want a background, but I don't need one) if you just want a media tablet, which is what I wanted.

I'd suspect that as the Amazon App Store grows they are going to come out with a newer Fire with a lot more features (and likely a larger size).

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site

I don't think it's about preventing Skype calling. Apparently certain wired headsets work fine with the Kindle Fire as the input is wired for a mike.

From what I've seen in the teardown reports, Amazon is using a wireless chipset from a provider that's new in the market that includes wifi, bluetooth, and FM radio. (It's possible that Amazon just got a good deal on a wireless chip that happens to also include bluetooth.) Apparently there's no bluetooth antenna in the Kindle Fire so it looks like Amazon just wanted to shave a little off the cost of the device by not enabling bluetooth. I wouldn't be surprised to see the next version of the Kindle Fire add bluetooth and/or FM radio capability.

It may still be possible to enable bluetooth on the current Kindle Fire but without an antenna range would be pretty short. We'll just need to wait and see if someone figures out a way to get it working. It certainly won't be me. ;-)

Sent using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Effenhimer

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
1) Root
2) Install ICS
3) Attach BT controller
4) Stream games

That's pretty elaborate if you ask me.

I guess if you're not very technically literate, that may seem elaborate. But for some of us, it's just a hobby we do for fun, tinkering with tech.

I wasn't complaining btw, I was pointing out my own folly. If you need to troll someones topic, find one that thinks its wrong what the COMPANY did, and not what the non fact finding CONSUMER did. Clearly stated I did it to myself.

ICS is quite a ways off, hell, Ginger Bread is a ways off still. As well as stream gaming on tablets. I can wait, and as stated, I'm sure there will be hacks. For now, it's good for what I use it for.

anon(392870)

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I guess if you're not very technically literate, that may seem elaborate. But for some of us, it's just a hobby we do for fun, tinkering with tech.

I wasn't complaining btw, I was pointing out my own folly. If you need to troll someones topic, find one that thinks its wrong what the COMPANY did, and not what the non fact finding CONSUMER did. Clearly stated I did it to myself.

ICS is quite a ways off, hell, Ginger Bread is a ways off still. As well as stream gaming on tablets. I can wait, and as stated, I'm sure there will be hacks. For now, it's good for what I use it for.

Look, I don't see the need to continue this discussion, I said as much in my previous post. I suggest you reevaluate what you consider trolling.

I'm done.

Last edited:

Effenhimer

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm done.

Anyway, anyone hear of any good roms being worked on? They may give turning on that BT chip a shot, and that would be good to hear. CM7 has a rom, but it's not totally stable. And after running stable roms for 2 years, I can wait with the stock Amazon layer for now...

anon(392870)

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Anyway, anyone hear of any good roms being worked on? They may give turning on that BT chip a shot, and that would be good to hear. CM7 has a rom, but it's not totally stable. And after running stable roms for 2 years, I can wait with the stock Amazon layer for now...

I've been looking, CM7 is the only one I've come across as well.

EDIT: Much like you, I am holding off for a while.