So confused on root for fire

TheJustPull

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Before I switched to my iphone I had a droid x, which I rooted and hacked to no end. I have now purchased a kindle fire and while I like the performance out of the box, I want to get more out of it then what is stock. (for instance, getting android market apps) I've been reading some step by step guides and one thing I keep seeing is you have to type in some sort of code in all of them. I'm not too techy and I don't have alot of experince with code stuff, so I am sort of paranoid about doing this on my kindle and risk ruining it.

Any advice is appreciated.

BluesHawk

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
If you're not comfortable with coding and are uncomfortable following step by step video guides found on youtube then KindleFireUtility is the most user-friendly way to root your kindle. Be sure to read through the whole thread and if your Kindle is updated to 6.2.2 you will most likely need the updated run.bat file to start KFU from this post. I used KFU to install the TWRP recovery tool after manually rooting with BurritoRoot3. KFU should do everything you need for you

TheJustPull

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, I didn't even know there was another option, want it rooted but don't want to mess something up in the process.Can a fire be bricked permanently? or are the ways to restore it

TheJustPull

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I've tried running this, it says the system cannot find the path specified.. not sure what to do here now it says my kindle isnt hooked up but it is

Last edited:

sblood86

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, I didn't even know there was another option, want it rooted but don't want to mess something up in the process.Can a fire be bricked permanently? or are the ways to restore it

There are 2 actual bricks that I am aware of; these were caused by changing the partitions incorrectly. To my knowledge they tried to correct these from fastboot but were unable to. Every other instance I've read or heard of could be resolved (if by no other means than by soldering up a factory cable to force fastboot) and I know of no instances where root itself has caused a brick.

As for the root process if you are having issues w/ KFU try just using Burrito Root 3 (find it on XDA) KFU uses this anyway.

TheJustPull

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Isn't nutrition root the method with adb involved? Ive watched a few videos and.still not sure I want to try that. I.wish I could figure out how to get my computer (windows 7) to recognize the fire. Think after that kfu will.work.ok.

brentrjones

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
I bricked my Kindle Fire.

I rooted it and installed many android programs which worked fine and then tried to update to GO Launcher EX. (I am pretty sure that this was the straw that broke the camel's back. But it might have been other "wild" apps that got together when GO Launcher EX and clobbered the Fire.) I got stuck in the endless boot up cycle--the KindleFire logo shows forever. I tried many fixes which I found online.

Applied online for a return of the brick. Got my totally new Fire in the mail, fooled around with it and got stuck in the endless boot up cycle again! But it had not been rooted, so one of the many fixes got it working again. Now I am very leary of rooting.

There are some applications that will kill your Kindle. :confused:

Last edited:

grvthang

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I've noted that there are a number of people who seem to believe that you cannot install non-amazon app store apps on the Fire unless you root the device. This is not true at all.

Not to start a discussion on the value of rooting the Fire, but if you just want to install apps not offered in the app store, look at some of the earlier threads here and on other forums. There are a number of ways to easy accomplish this without rooting (especially if you own an Android phone).

from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

skulldroid67

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
There is really nothing you can do to your fire that someone else hasn't already done and found a fix for.

My advice is to do plenty of reading prior to doing anything to your fire. xda is a good source as is google and you tube.

I rooted with the kindle fire utility and flash all roms with twrp. If your PC sports not recognize the fire then that could be a problem with the device drivers. :eek:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

SkinsFan1987

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
I would root, but I'm leery of bricking my Fire. I honestly like it as is for right now. Maybe I'll take the plunge and root it later, but not now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
accessibilitys86