Personal data (contacts, sms, phone logs, settings, etc) gone after moving apps to a new microSD

alliuca

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
Hi everybody,

so I've just bought a 16gb Sandisk microSD and I moved some apps to that, by using the functionality available under Settings > Applications > Manage Applications. I went through the list and I moved some apps to the microSD when the button was available.

I also moved the Music folder to the new microSD.

Then I left my phone for a while.. when I came back to it, was asking me the pin code as it had restarted. Then the android configuration wizard pop up, like when you first boot the device (so asking me to choose the language and set other configuration things). At the end, I found out that my device status was like the first time, as you do a hard reset: my previous data were gone, including contacts, text messages, settings, etc.
Some things remained, like pictures and music files.

I believe my data are still there somehow (or I might want to believe it). This was really strange though and you can imagine how I feel with all of my contacts and such gone.
Unfortunately, there's no sync with google or similar. I should have do that or at least make a backup before moving things to the new storage...

I'd like to know if my things are completely gone or maybe they are just not loaded for some weird reason. Can you help me? Thanks!

Samsung Galaxy S Plus (GT-I9001) / Android version 2.3.5

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Hmm this does seem strange. Well if you initially had your contacts/calendar sync'd with Google then those would be retrieved when you log the device back into your Gmail account. If you didn't then they could very well be lost.

Other things like text messages, unless you were using a backup program for texts like SMS Backup & Restore then those are gone too...

Very strange, sounds like something involving the SD Card and what you were doing caused a very damaging glitch to initiate what appears to be a factory reset.