iOS 5 vs. Android 2.3 Gingerbread vs. Windows Phone 7 Mango vs. Blackberry 7 OS

Nickerz

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm planning on getting the Atrix this Sunday but I didn't know Android doesn't have tabbed browsing or Rich Text Emails. Anyone know if Honeycomb will or another udpate?

I also have to admit that it sounds like Windows Phone (Mango) is getting a lot better. I'm very interested in this down the road. I'm currently a BlackBerry user and feel the others are blazing past RIM as they sit around and do nothing. Which is why I'm looking to go to an Android device soon this weekend! But looking this chart over, it seems Android should consider some of these updates if they haven't already.

This is from PC Magazine

iOSMangoOS7GingerbreadComparison.gif
[/IMG]

BSG75

Custom User Title
May 11, 2010
Visit site
It seems like a fairly selective list. You can make a similar-looking list where Android has all the checks and iOS doesn't. It also depends on how narrowly you define things like ""tabbed browsing" and "wifi-sync" (if you count Winamp, doubleTwist Google Music or Amazon for their streaming services, a category which is absent from this list) and "quick camera access" which I would say Android has. Also, what is "System-wide twitter integration?" Install the freaking app. That should no be a deal breaker for anyone with a brain.

Did they have this same list when iOS didn't have decent notifications or OTA updates? This is super-selective and subjective.

Get whatever phone you want, just make sure you try them out. Don't let some article or chart convince you.

Edit: Post # 600

Last edited:
Reactions: keith2k1

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I'm planning on getting the Atrix this Sunday but I didn't know Android doesn't have tabbed browsing or Rich Text Emails. Anyone know if Honeycomb will or another udpate?

I also have to admit that it sounds like Windows Phone (Mango) is getting a lot better. I'm very interested in this down the road. I'm currently a BlackBerry user and feel the others are blazing past RIM as they sit around and do nothing. Which is why I'm looking to go to an Android device soon this weekend! But looking this chart over, it seems Android should consider some of these updates if they haven't already.

This is from PC Magazine

iOSMangoOS7GingerbreadComparison.gif
[/IMG]

That image seems like a list put together by Apple for Apple fanboys.

phone to phone messaging? Google Talk, EVERY Android has it.
newspaper subs? Android has all sorts of news paper subs, WSJ, NYT, Kindle
quick camera access? press and hold camera button, iPhone's dont even have this!
tabbed browsing? BS. All Androids have this from stock browser and 3rd party
rich text email? again, BS, all Androids have this from stock email and 3rd party
wifi sync? BS, I have Android phones with no cell service and they function 100% on Wifi

that list is stupid.. Get whatever device you're comfortable with, but dont get a list that's totally made by Apple and is completely lying.

Last edited:

Ronindan

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
It looked like that who ever made the chart did not do their research.

Phone to to phone messaging; Google talk

Advanced remainder hmm..calendar notifications, update notification, etc

news paper subscription, please: kobo, kindle and other 3rd party takes care of that. Plus android user can go directly to magazines and newspaper and directly subscribe to them.

Twitter integration, I get my messages (check). I can post pictures and other media (check). Sounds integrated to me.

Quick camera access: okay android does not have this one but BB OS 6 does. You can set one of the physical keys to open and close the camera. This it self shows that whoever made that chart does not know what they were doing.

Tabbed browsing: 3rd party browsers take care of this

Rich Text email. Don't get me started

Wifi Sync: Not sure about this one

On-line gaming community: This is a must have feature?

End rant

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
It looked like that who ever made the chart did not do their research.

Phone to to phone messaging; Google talk

Advanced remainder hmm..calendar notifications, update notification, etc

news paper subscription, please: kobo, kindle and other 3rd party takes care of that. Plus android user can go directly to magazines and newspaper and directly subscribe to them.

Twitter integration, I get my messages (check). I can post pictures and other media (check). Sounds integrated to me.

Quick camera access: okay android does not have this one but BB OS 6 does. You can set one of the physical keys to open and close the camera. This it self shows that whoever made that chart does not know what they were doing.

Tabbed browsing: 3rd party browsers take care of this

Rich Text email. Don't get me started

Wifi Sync: Not sure about this one

On-line gaming community: This is a must have feature?

End rant

We have quick camera access. A ton of Android phones have a dedicated camera button that will go into the camera from wherever you're at by pressing and holding it. Unlike iPhone, you have to exit your app, find your camera app in whateve folder and click it. 3 steps > 1 step

tabbed browsing. the stock browser has "windows" that you can switch to. It's not thrown in your face, but it's there.

wifi sync. anything you can do over a cell signal, you can do over wifi..app syncing, gmail syncing, OTA updates, etc etc.. including phone calls AND text messages.

Ronindan

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
We have quick camera access. A ton of Android phones have a dedicated camera button that will go into the camera from wherever you're at by pressing and holding it. Unlike iPhone, you have to exit your app, find your camera app in whateve folder and click it. 3 steps > 1 step

tabbed browsing. the stock browser has "windows" that you can switch to. It's not thrown in your face, but it's there.

wifi sync. anything you can do over a cell signal, you can do over wifi..app syncing, gmail syncing, OTA updates, etc etc.. including phone calls AND text messages.

I was not to sure about the Wifi-sync since it was not an issue. I guesss in IOS that used to be a problem. lol

This message is approved by my transformer

Nickerz

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I agree, the chart seems VERY selective and I figured Android has 3rd party apps to address most, if not all of the check list.

Just to be clear, the list is based on the upcoming iOS 5 which the iPhone 5 will be capable of apparently not the current iPhone 4G.

Also, the Quick Camera Access is referring to opening your camera without having to unlock your phone. As my camera on my BlackBerry 9700 is currently set up on my right convenience key, I have to unlock my device first. This isn't a big deal to me.

I'm just glad to hear from the Android folks that this checklist is bogus and I figure Android can and will address their OS to meet and beat their competitors as they have done!

Only a few more days until I can get my Atrix btw!!!

PS - What's with the obvious bias PCMagazine!?

avodrok

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
What's the deal with people wanting the camera button on the lock screen? I thought the whole idea of having a lock screen was so you wouldn't accidentally hit buttons or call 911 with your legs.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
What's the deal with people wanting the camera button on the lock screen? I thought the whole idea of having a lock screen was so you wouldn't accidentally hit buttons or call 911 with your legs.

I had one recently.. was driving down the freeway and saw some super attractive chick on a street bike zooming down it, her skirt was lifting up and showing her thong.

with quick camera access, I was able to snap a picture just before she zoomed off.

Yep, I'm a pig, and no I wont share it.

Reactions: anon(27512)

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Yea...very obvious biased list against Android. There are a few red X's that can be removed under Android. And some under WP7. Biased because adding on to Android thru apps is one of its strong points.

Someone made a good point about what if I dont use Twitter but use Facebook, like I actually do? How good is that Twitter integration then? Thats like how one WP7 fanboy used to mention WP7 has Xbox Live integration....well duh its a MS OS...what if I dont use Xbox but use the PS3....Android would get the green check then.

Wifi Sync..something that Android has had probably since day one. Maybe not music and pics....(dont know about the new Google music player tho. It may have it) But it had it for apps, contacts, and whatever else it could be used for. So for the limited photo editing stock Android does it gets a green check...but for Wifi Sync it gets a red x?

Newspaper and magazine subscriptions....see what I wrote about Twitter....

I am glad to see iOS advancing tho. Good for Apple. But its funny how some folks never talked up Android strong points....but are quick to point those same strong points out as weaknesses when another OS somewhat one ups Android.

The problem with that chart is if you dont read the article and read between the lines...Android looks very limited.

Last edited:

shady28

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
So what did you get? The Atrix was really the coolest thing at CES. I still have a BB, wife an iPhone, stepson Android, and of course I'm using an iPad. Android will make a lot of things easier, except email. Something about the BB interface works just right for that.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

Nickerz

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I hate the Atrix. HATE IT. Like my Infuse much better. Yes, i own both.

What do you hate about the Atrix? I'm thinking about getting one any day now. I had a chance to play with the Infuse a little last week and liked it but I felt for a new phone (released middle of last month) it should have had more (i.e., dual-core processor).

Let me know though about the Atrix as I've been wanting to pull the trigger today. Will most likely give it another week maybe before I decide as I still have my eye on the HTC Holiday due out soon.

PhxBlue

Super Geek
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I guess the word "hate" was a bit strong, i however am not much of a fan of this phone. Blur first and foremost sucks to the N'TH degree, I know thats subjective but I REALLY dont like it, it should not have any lag swiping screens with a dual core device but Blur manages to make that a reality. The qHD display is not that great to me, its got almost a fuzzy look because of the pentile setup. On top of that the screen has a washed out whitish look. No its not because im comparing it to the super amoled+, it was a chief complaint of mine from day 1. The battery drains way too fast for its capacity no matter how i configure/use it. I tend to be a heavier user so i didn't expect anything stellar but geez its horrible for a 1930 mAH. The camera isn't bad per'se it just kinda sits in the so-so range. So far the Tegra 2 doesn't impress me much at all. I dont see much of a difference between it and the Infuses 1.2 single core to be quite honest.

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
If you didn't like iOS before, iOS 5 won't change that. I have it and it really just patches holes. I'm done with iOS it's getting boring, I can't wait for the HTC holiday. Day one I plan on getting that phone.

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I had one recently.. was driving down the freeway and saw some super attractive chick on a street bike zooming down it, her skirt was lifting up and showing her thong.

with quick camera access, I was able to snap a picture just before she zoomed off.

Yep, I'm a pig, and no I wont share it.

Lol awesome example.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elizabethstephen