Customize software buttons?

cfbauer

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
To me, one of the greatest (potential) features of Ice Cream Sandwich's software buttons is being able to customize them. Does anyone know if that will be an option?

Coming from webOS, I'm used to quickly doing things like searching and opening card view, so I want easy access. I'd also love to be able to change the button's behavior once I know how I'll be using the software.

Thanks in advance.

cfbauer

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
So I asked this awhile ago, and there didn't appear to be any way to customize those buttons. ...until now. I may have answered my own question. In case anyone else was wondering:

There are .apks available that allow you to add a menu or search buttons. I'm new to Android so I'm not entirely sure what an apk is, but I'm willing to bet I'll learn about them soon enough, and that most of you already know how to use them.

22 Nov: UI patches (LHS / RHS / Both / Search Button / When Hidden) - Android @ MoDaCo

dublicious84

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the link

an APK is just the package android uses to install apps. in order to download ones not available in the store, you'll have to go into the dev options (in settings) and enable the ability to install apps from unknown sources

unfortunately, this requires an custom rom, which in turn requires unlocking and rooting your phone. Not worth the effort to me.

Anyone know of a way to do this that doesn't require going through this? My guess is this guy took the long way around. Putting soft buttons really only makes sense if you can actually do something about them.

Reactions: cfbauer

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
So I asked this awhile ago, and there didn't appear to be any way to customize those buttons. ...until now. I may have answered my own question. In case anyone else was wondering:

There are .apks available that allow you to add a menu or search buttons. I'm new to Android so I'm not entirely sure what an apk is, but I'm willing to bet I'll learn about them soon enough, and that most of you already know how to use them.

22 Nov: UI patches (LHS / RHS / Both / Search Button / When Hidden) - Android @ MoDaCo

If your new, I wouldnt recommend you go that route. That guy has that feature built into a custom rom. Dont jump into Rom Flashing right now. Wait it out a bit and learn the process. Its basically a custom launcher he made.

cfbauer

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
If your new, I wouldnt recommend you go that route. That guy has that feature built into a custom rom. Dont jump into Rom Flashing right now. Wait it out a bit and learn the process. Its basically a custom launcher he made.
Thanks. I don't even have an Android phone yet, so I'm not worried about the details just now. I have flashed a Palm Pre and a Pre 2, however. :)