Stock android questions.

miyanc

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
So I am trying my best to know and use my p6p as intended before I branch out into the nova launcher and other solutions.

First a little soap box and then some questions.

Maybe I am wrong, and I know I am, but coming from Samsung to pixel I can't help but feel like the pixel is the less refined example of android. In my mind the simple biggest reason to choose android over apple is customisation. I don't mean rooting, but being able to change things. I know I am picking a fight and mostly I am asking so I can get the most out of my pixel and not argue over phones.

To me, I customize to make the most usefulness I can out of format and configuration. Crowding the home screen and having an app draw a mule long seems counter intuitive. I want to be able to sort the apps I use most plain and easy on my home screen leaving room in the middle to see the reasons I love life(wife and kids). So on Samsung I had a home screen with the calendar to the left and apps I was trying to the right. The home screen had my Libby app widget and maybe 10-12 apps I used all the time and the the app tray (phone, messages, email and such)across the bottom and Google search across the top.

On the pixel it wants me to make folders and put them on my home screen which is all the way to the left. Yes I could make the 3 panels and sort them out, but it seems to always go to the left panel. Also I have about 170 apps. Who wants to go searching thru all 170 to find something. In my app draw I had 6-7 folders and the maybe 20 apps that had no category.

Also not sure why the pull down trays have 2x the size buttons with the full names and scrolling words instead of more toggles.

I am finding I love the gestures and reliving my palm pre days. I like the power button options, but dislike the power/volume locations. Seems like the speak imbalance and volume rocker location make the general idea that content I watch will be in portrait mode and not landscape. Which means the volume buttons in landscape are a far reach. ( It's a phone I get it, it's not a dinning room table).

Ultimately I understand that as it's android I still have the ability to add apps to help with these issue, I just don't understand why Google doesn't give you the options and seems like they go out of the way to push the way they think it should be on you, which sounds more like apple.

For the record, I am not going back to Samsung. I have my reasons and I do really like this phone and hope to be able to move the needle either more in my direction or if I need to, move closer to the other side.

I know this is long, but thanks for reading and any productive input is welcome. Thanks

Dan_B1979

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
Not sure if this helps; but I just use Nova Launcher and have the apps I need on the home screen in their folders and the rest are in the app drawer etc

Keeps it simple for me

drvier8

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Pixel Launcher, Samsung One UI, Nova... they are all just launchers. Pixel is Google's version, but it is not "Android." It is definitely a minimalist launcher. It is my preference as I only keep about 6 apps on the home screen and just use the app drawer for everything else. Personally, I do not like using folders.

If you like Pixel look and feel in general, but want more customization, try Lawnchair. Looks like a Pixel, but you can customize more.

Mr Bojangles1

Oct 29, 2019
Visit site
On the panel you want to be your home screen, you should be able to hold your finger on the screen to get a pop up menu to set that panel as your home screen. Not sure if that's what you are trying to do, I'm a little confused on what exactly you are asking.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
i've never been a huge fan of the stock Pixel launcher either, so that's why I always use Nova. But I'd use Nova if I had a Samsung phone or any other phone, because that's what I'm used to, and I prefer that level of versatility and customization. (You mention that you prefer Android due to its customization options -- the very fact that you can change the launcher and not have to deal with the stock one is a huge part of it.)

Like you, I'm also not a fan of the Pixel launcher's rigidity of having the primary homescreen the leftmost one, and the Google Discover feed to the left of that. But Samsung's current One UI interface also does this (as I test it on my Galaxy A32 5G) -- which Samsung phone did you have before, and was it still using TouchWiz?

EDIT: I was reminded by Mr Bojangles1 that you can choose which homescreen is the primary one in One UI, but what I still don't like about it is the inability to have wraparound scrolling (i.e., if you reach the rightmost homescreen and keep swiping right, you get to the leftmost homescreen).

miyanc

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if this helps; but I just use Nova Launcher and have the apps I need on the home screen in their folders and the rest are in the app drawer etc

Keeps it simple for me

I downloaded it already, but haven't used it. Trying stock first and when I can fix or customize that enough I will look. Ty

miyanc

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Pixel Launcher, Samsung One UI, Nova... they are all just launchers. Pixel is Google's version, but it is not "Android." It is definitely a minimalist launcher. It is my preference as I only keep about 6 apps on the home screen and just use the app drawer for everything else. Personally, I do not like using folders.

If you like Pixel look and feel in general, but want more customization, try Lawnchair. Looks like a Pixel, but you can customize more.

I completely understand. But in reality how hard would it be to give the option. If people like you don't want it, you don't use it. That's why I say on purpose.

miyanc

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
i've never been a huge fan of the stock Pixel launcher either, so that's why I always use Nova. But I'd use Nova if I had a Samsung phone or any other phone, because that's what I'm used to, and I prefer that level of versatility and customization. (You mention that you prefer Android due to its customization options -- the very fact that you can change the launcher and not have to deal with the stock one is a huge part of it.)

Like you, I'm also not a fan of the Pixel launcher's rigidity of having the primary homescreen the leftmost one, and the Google Discover feed to the left of that. But Samsung's current One UI interface also does this (as I test it on my Galaxy A32 5G) -- which Samsung phone did you have before, and was it still using TouchWiz?

EDIT: I was reminded by Mr Bojangles1 that you can choose which homescreen is the primary one in One UI, but what I still don't like about it is the inability to have wraparound scrolling (i.e., if you reach the rightmost homescreen and keep swiping right, you get to the leftmost homescreen).

I came from s22u and note 10 plus before that. All with as current updated as possible. I tried last night to switch pixel home screen and couldn't find the option. In Samsung I was able to. I have nova and remember using it back when I had pixel 1xl and maybe even as far back as lgg4. I will have to re-aquint myself. Ultimately that's my goal. Maybe even come out the other side liking what I have better then Samsung.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I also recommend Nova. I've used it since 2015, even on Nexus devices which were the previous name Google gave to stock Android devices before Pixel.

The only OEM launcher that I've used for any length of time has been OneUI. I couldn't even describe the then stock Android launcher found on Nexus and Moto. I also had Moto devices. Whatever launcher LG used lasted only long enough to install Nova.

miyanc

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I had a nexus, I have also used nova. Downloaded and paid for premium so I can have my folders. All will be well

Dan_B1979

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
I also recommend Nova. I've used it since 2015, even on Nexus devices which were the previous name Google gave to stock Android devices before Pixel.

The only OEM launcher that I've used for any length of time has been OneUI. I couldn't even describe the then stock Android launcher found on Nexus and Moto. I also had Moto devices. Whatever launcher LG used lasted only long enough to install Nova.

Ah yes, the Nexus 6 and 6P, about the best phones Google ever made IMO. The N6 was superb, huge & wide, flat screen

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ah yes, the Nexus 6 and 6P, about the best phones Google ever made IMO. The N6 was superb, huge & wide, flat screen

I like how the Pixel 6 series hearkens back to the 6P design, what with its resemblance to Bender from Futurama.:p

Dan_B1979

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
Still got my 6p..recently put a spare sim in it too... Still a great handset

Still have my Nexus 6 and still use it time to time... Somehow it's more fun as it's more simple compared to the phones these days; still love the build of it, it's very brick like :D