How To Fix ICS Battery Drain Bug

Did disabling "Auto-Rotate screen" fix your battery issue?

• Total voters

anon(851732)

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Guys, this issue seems to be caused by the "Auto-Rotate screen" setting being enabled under the Display settings.

Some proof of this is by viewing CPU usage using OS Monitor. With "Auto-Rotate screen" enabled and the phone idle, CPU usage of "Android System" will remain anywhere between 25% to 30% (while the phone is idle) and apparently prevents the Nexus S from going into a deep sleep, which of course will be draining the battery faster. By disabling "Auto-Rotate screen", the CPU usage of "Android System" drops to between 0% and 4%. Re-enabling "Auto-Rotate screen" caused "Android System" to consistently jump between 25% and 30%. So I keep "Auto-Rotate screen" disabled now. Try this out as I had the same issue and my battery now lasts longer with it disabled. Download "OS Monitor" and see for yourselves. It MUST be a bug that is hopefully fixed in 4.1.1.

I hope this works for you! Please let me know :)

Cheers!

Destoration

May 16, 2012
Visit site
Thats weird on my nexus the cpu sits around 2% when just running os monitor. Disabling auto-rotate didn't really change it. Maybe you have another process sucking the cpu?

anon(851732)

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Do you have the Galaxy Nexus or the Nexus S?

I am running 4.0.4 on Nexus S.

It's tough trying to identify the battery drain issue as so many people seem to be experiencing it...

anon(851732)

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
And it is definitely 100% the "Android System" process consistently running between 25% to 30% even when idle, but ONLY when "Auto-Rotate screen" is enabled. With it disabled, it goes straight down to between 0% and 4%.

ghatala

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Have a moto droid 4 and no difference with switching auto rotate. System in about 30% and display is 23%. I get about 27 hours of battery with ICS

jerryread

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
People say the ram is there to be used but this will surely use more battery. I find uccw will sometimes be a hogger so dont know why some apps seem to randomly have been using battery in standby or how accurate a stock battery monitor is .Anyway, i have same problem as After ICS update with phone taking 55 seconds to shutdown. This cant be good - what is running that cant stop on shutdown?
I think cache cleaner messed things up some how.
Jr

crkeehn

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I have heard of others complaining about battery drain with ICS, others that have the same hardware I do (Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9). I find that the app I am running has more effect on battery usage than any sort of system housekeeping. After nearly 12 hours since I last charged my device, I still have 87% of the battery capacity. The screen has been the heavy user with 64% usage.

When I play a graphic intensive game like Bubble Shoot, I'll see my battery power go fairly quickly but that is more a factor of my playing the game for an extended period of time, I find it very addictive.

gquiring

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I tried OS Monitor on my SG3 with screen rotate on/off and it does not change my CPU usage which sits around 3% for Android system.