Lots of Tablets - how do I rename them?

psdaengr

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
Hi All,

Could you identify them by MAC address, which is still unique? From the forums I've been reading on this subject the devices have to be rooted in order to change the device name, which I agree is ridiculous. This sort fo functionality should have been in Android from day one. If I were in business with this issue my concern would be regarding warranties if I rooted devices - would they still be valid if the device needed to be returned but had been rooted? I doubt it.

Kind regards,

Julian

psdaengr

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
If they were a non-programmable device, you'd stick an asset tag on the back. Programmable asset names for portable equipment makes no sense.

Someone could easily replace a good unit with a flaky one and change its name. How would you know? Use the Bluetooth rename for convenience, the MAC name or serial number for positive id and assdt management.

Retired IT Network Manager,5000 nodes

ndex477

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Yes. Your device must be rooted in order to use the SU(superuser)command. The WiFi Direct option only changes the name of the device in relation to WiFi Direct. The same as changing the BlueTooth from a MAC address to a name. As for the Google accounts, I don't see a way around having separate Gmail accounts for each device unless there is a different way Google handles business accounts. Be very careful in changing the host name as Android runs on Linux and Linux handles things very much differently than other operating systems. Each device would have to be rooted to interact via ADB. Will post more help if i find out anything. Best of luck.

Twylyte

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
How do I root my tablet? I need to name my samsung galaxy tab. It is version 4.1.2. We have several computers and tablets on the network but I need to name mine so it is distinguishable from the others. I have tried every suggestion previously listed on this thread except the code. I do not know anything about computer code. How do I name my tablet?

RocknRollTim

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
You'll need to enable Developer Options on the tablets, but after doing so, use the following setting.

Settings > Developer Options > Device hostname​

This will allow you to change, obviously, the hostname that the tablet uses. You'll want to reboot the tablet to ensure it refreshes properly on the network side. However, not every device may have this option. If you don't see it after enabling Developer Options, use the following method, though it will require root access. You should be able to unroot without having the hostname reset, but don't quote me on that. I'd give it a try with the first tablet to see whether or not it will work.

Install a terminal emulator on the tablet. Enter the following:

Code:
> su
> getprop net.hostname
> setprop net.hostname <new_hostname>

The 'getprop' command will return the current hostname, so you can double-check it before setting the new one. Again, reboot to refresh network assignments.

I have tried this too with using Terminal Emulator for Android on my new XT1039 and the su command isn't recognised for me either just like mariomp, however the 2 commands after it work though but the device name still shows as android-db92f5af6096ed16 under the My Home Network section on our Home Hub 3 (Type B). Is this because I couldn't use the su command in the Terminal Emulator? Sorry if I sound uncertain but I too am new to using Android.

Kind regards,

RocknRollTim

glbell62

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Funny how each device is a bit different,
I changed the hostname in dev options but until I did it in terminal it didn't show up also changed with an app but doesn't change whats in dev settings.
I also had to update busybox and change the install location to have access to this setting.

geegee80

Mar 3, 2016
Visit site
ok. So. Tab 3 is what I have info on. Go into "settings", under the battery section and "Applications", is "users". What you enter as the user is what will show up as your device's name. For wifi purposes, and Bluetooth purposes, go to the bottom of settings, and tap "about device". There should only be a few things in bold. One of them is "Device Name". There you may also change it, and that will be for Bluetooth and other purposes. :)

RocknRollTim

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
Hi geegee80,

Thank you for posting your instructions but unfortunately there is no option on the Moto G 4G that I have where you can amend the device name easily which makes me believe that the only is to root the phone and still sussing out without any success.

Regards,

RocknRollTim

rameshjey

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
Hi
I have the same problem and I tried renaming my Android device thru terminal emulator as suggested by you.. So i did the following
The device was rooted. I verified root access thru root checker. (also it shows # on TE when is type "su". I entered the follg command
setprop net.hostname JRDROID (INSTEAD OF OLD NAME)
i verified the name thru getprop
However after rebooting the device still shows old name such "androidXXXXX".
Any clues on what I am doing wrong?

rameshjey

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
Hi Patrick
I had same issue and I wanted to rename my Android device thru terminal emulator. So i did the following as suggested by you.
1) The device was rooted.
2) Root access was verified thru root checker. (also it shows # on TE when is type "su".
3) I entered the follg command
setprop net.hostname JRDROID (INSTEAD OF OLD NAME)
4) i verified the name thru getprop
5) I rebooted.
However after rebooting the device still shows old name such "androidXXXXX".any clues or suggestions

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty