Rooting older Nexus phone that is running JB?

crumbworks

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
I have a Nexus S. I can't afford a new phone in the near future (now unemployed) and ever since it upgraded to ICS (and then to JB), it has been so slow -- the 1 GHz CPU w/ 512 MB RAM simply can't handle ICS/JB... and when I say slow, I mean painful -- from when I launch Chrome, it's at least 90 seconds until I can use the browser. It takes 30 seconds after I load the texting app until it converts phone numbers into names and becomes responsive enough to use. This is with a single-digit number of apps installed, and only one widget (3D Digital Weather Clock). Even clicking a text box, it's 6 or 7 seconds until the keyboard pops up.

The notion:
My brother says I'll be able to breathe some new life out of this thing by rooting it with a custom ROM. I have my SMS and call logs backed up and can easily re-download all my apps from the Play Store, so I don't care about losing anything. I just never really 'cared' about the rooting potential.

The question:
Is he right? Do you think there would be any reason for me to put something like Cyanogenmod on this thing, or is it simply too weak a processor (with too little RAM) to actually get anywhere with it?

Thanks for your input!
-Chris

Deanig_12

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
I have a Nexus S. I can't afford a new phone in the near future (now unemployed) and ever since it upgraded to ICS (and then to JB), it has been so slow -- the 1 GHz CPU w/ 512 MB RAM simply can't handle ICS/JB... and when I say slow, I mean painful -- from when I launch Chrome, it's at least 90 seconds until I can use the browser. It takes 30 seconds after I load the texting app until it converts phone numbers into names and becomes responsive enough to use. This is with a single-digit number of apps installed, and only one widget (3D Digital Weather Clock). Even clicking a text box, it's 6 or 7 seconds until the keyboard pops up.

The notion:
My brother says I'll be able to breathe some new life out of this thing by rooting it with a custom ROM. I have my SMS and call logs backed up and can easily re-download all my apps from the Play Store, so I don't care about losing anything. I just never really 'cared' about the rooting potential.

The question:
Is he right? Do you think there would be any reason for me to put something like Cyanogenmod on this thing, or is it simply too weak a processor (with too little RAM) to actually get anywhere with it?

Thanks for your input!
-Chris

you could try this :) How to Update Your Google Nexus S to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean [Full Guide] - International Business Times

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Well, since you backed everything up, the first thing I would try is a factory reset to clear out all the crap that accumulates over time. See how it runs after that before you think about a custom ROM. I have a CM10 (JB) ROM on my Nook color which probably has less power than your phone and while no killer, it runs just as well as it did with CM7 (Gingerbread).

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
If you root and install a custom ROM then it's likely that the experience will be better.

Before going that route, I'd suggest a factory reset and see if that helps.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

crumbworks

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Well, since you backed everything up, the first thing I would try is a factory reset to clear out all the crap that accumulates over time. See how it runs after that before you think about a custom ROM.

If you root and install a custom ROM then it's likely that the experience will be better. Before going that route, I'd suggest a factory reset and see if that helps.

Thanks to both of you. I did just that, and it's considerably more responsive. Not exactly 'project butter' smooth (as expected) but it's actually functional again.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
That's good. The long term solution may be to install a custom ROM that improves how the phone runs.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non