Issues with Airplane Mode in 4.3

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I have been using an app (Llama) to automatically turn on Airplane mode at night to save my battery. I recently upgraded to a new phone with 4.3 on it, and this no longer works.

Is there some way to reenable Airplane mode toggling? If not, is there some sort of non-rooting workaround to get the same result? I know I can turn still off Wifi and Mobile Data, but how about the phone antenna too?

Thanks.

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I think you are missing my point. Under 4.3, all of those apps (at least all the ones I have tried) don't work as a toggle any more. It looks like google took the ability to quickly toggle airplane mode out of 4.3.

I am looking for a workaround to this "helpful" change.

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I could do that. I could also just manually go into Airplane mode at night. I like to automate thing whenever possible and I listen to audiobooks to help me fall asleep at night.

So, using an app called Llama, I have my phone set to automatically:

11:00 PM - Put brightness on 6%, silence all notifications, start airplane mode, alarm volume to 100%.
6:15 AM - Stop Airplane mode (so emails will download before I wake up)
6:20 AM - Put brightness on 40%, set all notification volumes to medium

This way when my Alarm goes off at 6:20, I have the maximum possible battery and all my emails are waiting for me. On my GN2 (4.1.2) this all happened automatically with no interaction from me. On my GN3 (4.3), the airplane toggle no longer works.

So, I can turn off Wifi and Mobile data automatically, but the LTE antenna will still be running. This post was to see if there was another way to automatically turn off the LTE antenna.

On a side note, does anyone know what Google was trying to save me from by turning this into a toggle? I sure with when they made those changes they would add an option to let me do it the old way. I am perfectly happy taking care of things like that on my own.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I think you are missing my point. Under 4.3, all of those apps (at least all the ones I have tried) don't work as a toggle any more. It looks like google took the ability to quickly toggle airplane mode out of 4.3.

I am looking for a workaround to this "helpful" change.

So what you are saying is that every one of those developers is lying when they say their app will toggle airplane mode on and off on my phone running 4.3? I might buy 1 or 2 of them, but not all. They say they can toggle and they show as compatible to me on my GNex running 4.3. Maybe the issue is with Samsung's skin on your phone? If so, you might have better luck posting in the GN3 forums instead of the generic Jelly Bean forums.

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
So what you are saying is that every one of those developers is lying when they say their app will toggle airplane mode on and off on my phone running 4.3? I might buy 1 or 2 of them, but not all. They say they can toggle and they show as compatible to me on my GNex running 4.3. Maybe the issue is with Samsung's skin on your phone? If so, you might have better luck posting in the GN3 forums instead of the generic Jelly Bean forums.

I don't know why you are acting so hostile. I don't think the developer's are lying. I think you are making a mistake. You are also trying to solve a different problem then the one I posted.

1) Google removed the API to set airplane mode in 4.2. This was apparently done for security reasons, although I am not 100% sure what they were trying to accomplish. This means that post 4.2, apps can no longer simply toggle airplane mode. If you doubt this, a simple search on google for "airplane mode api removed on jelly bean" will find you several million hits explaining and discussing this. To answer your question, I posted this here instead of the GN3 forums, because this is a Jelly Bean issue, not a GN3 issue.

2) Just for fun, I downloaded and tried out several of the apps on your link. Some of them just didn't do anything (ie Airplane Mode Toggle by SchreinerDev) and some pop up a message saying that they are incompatible on Jelly Bean when you run them (ie Airplane on / off toggle switch by FREE WING). Perhaps they are compatible in the sense that they run on your device, but not that they perform the desired function.

3) The problem I had was not that I couldn't find an app to toggle airplane mode. The problem I had was that I couldn't find one to toggle it automatically based on the time of day. The app I used to do that with was no longer working, and I wanted a new app to do it automatically. I have a built in toggle to do it via a popup, but I was hoping to find an automatic way to do it. The built in toggle requires three actions (drag to get notification tray, tap toggle, tap ok on popup) and the automatic way requires none ().

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions, but I don't want to root my phone. I guess I am stuck for now.

Oh well, thanks for trying.

nottooquick

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Certainly removing a capability is a bad move! I was used to a single action toggle of airplane mode for a number of occasions, like Church, meetings, conferences, on top of flying. Fumbling with the power switch menu just takes too long, if the selection is right the first time.

joshuajburris

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
I liked having the ability to toggle airplane on/off quickly in case I wanted m phone to get back on LTE if my signal got so poor I would transition back to 3g

MZX

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I admire how calm you are!

I don't know why the f did they disallow to switch automatically the airplane mode...

I have done factory reset -- unfortunately the 4.3 version is still there!!

I have no options now... I don't want my phone to be turned on during night...

I can root my phone, but I don't want to loose warranty...

Kurtis Lininger

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
This has been my complaint for a while now also. To automate things on my phone, I use Tasker instead. Same issue of course, because it's the OS that's limiting it.
We just had an OS update this week, so I figured I'd check to see if they have listened to our voices. Nope. But, I did see we can toggle the radio! I'm not sure if I just missed that before, or if it was just now allowed.
This isn't "airplane mode", but since the end result is the same, I'm happy!
Hopefully this helps.

Kurt

HeikeWie

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
Thank god I finally found this page, your question and all the answers. I thought I was crazy, trying out every single Airplane Toggle App in the book, and none of them working. So it's not just me. Although this is pretty unnerving. I hope they change it back with the next update, since I like One-Click-Solutions.

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
While I appreciate your taking the time to answer my post over two years later, I don't think you understood my original question.

I'm looking for a way to have some program do this automatically each night. I know how to manually do it.