Why am I getting the error message APP isn't responding. do you want to close it?

nomadh

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
APP isn't responding. do you want to close it

I Get This Message From Multiple Programs At Random Times Sometimes 5 Or 6 In A Row And Many Times Its A Program I Havent Even Used Since The Phones Reboot.
It Seems To Have Mostly Started When I Went Into App Info On A Few Running Programs And Unchecked Show Notifications. Dont See How This Could Be The Prob. I Did ItBecause Of Systen Nonresponse.

I Also Get Huge Delays Sometimes When I Want The Phone To Respond. I Have A Moto Bionic. I Dont Think Its Hardware. Sometimes The Phone Just Snaps Along But Othertimes It Can Take A Min Or More To Pay Attention AndResond. Once I HaveIts Attention It Goes Pretty good. How Do I Tell What The Os Is Doing When I Want It To Respond? There Must Be A Way To Monitor This
thanks

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: APP isn't responding. do you want to close it

Welcome to Android Central! It's hard to answer that, since it could be a number of issues. The Bionic is a pretty old device, so it might not be able to keep up with certain modern apps, or the most recent Google Play Services--I certainly started to see that with my old Razr Maxx last year.

It could be conflicts between apps as well--you could try booting into Safe Mode to troubleshoot: Restart the Device in Safe Mode Motorola DROID Bionic XT875 | Verizon Wireless. See if it works smoothly in Safe Mode, where all 3rd party apps are prevented from starting up initially. Then start opening apps one by one, and see if the performance gets impacted.

A cache partition wipe might help as well, which won't erase any personal data:

1. Ensure the device is powered off.
    linote.gif
    If the device doesn't respond to input, remove and replace the battery.
  2. Simultaneously press and hold the Volume Up/Down buttons the press the Power button until the Boot Mode Selection Menu appears then release all buttons.
  3. Press the Volume Down button to select Recovery then press the Volume Up button.
  4. From the Droid triage screen:
    1. Press and hold Volume Down button.
    2. Press and release Volume Up button.
    3. Release Volume Down button .
  5. Select "wipe cache partition."
    linote.gif
    Utilize the Volume buttons to highlight and the Power button to select.
  6. Select reboot system now.

nomadh

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Re: APP isn't responding. do you want to close it

Thanks for the info. I've done the reset but not recently so its a good reminder. I've also had some luck with wiping the firefox cache to help response time. The real issue here is debugging tools. Don't give me a fish. Give me a fishing pole. What are the tools that let me know whats really running and how to shut them down. Holding down the home button for its task manager isn't very real. Sometimes I see programs that i opened on accident for a few seconds and sometimes programs I'm running dont show. Sometimes its even streaming currently but doesnt show so it seems to be more of a toy. Is there a program that can tell me what the damn phone is doing thats so important it keeps me pressing the screen for 20 seconds until it decides to respond? Is there a task manager that can tell me whats in memory, how active it is, % of cpu and amt of memory used? They say you shouldn't use a task killer but I've seen how sometimes task killing can help alot. I probably have some rouge apps. The question is how do I find them?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress