rumors have it...

djm7541

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
But it's true, if everyone used non-descriptive titles for every thread, the forum would be less easy to read. Seeing how you gave such a lousy subject title, why not mention it here ? Then everybody that needs to can learn from your bad example.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
What are "active notifications?" Could you mean Active Display? If so, then rumor has it Active Display is already running on Android 4.3 devices, namely the Moto X.

Was anyone expecting the feature to disappear by 4.4?

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
But it's true, if everyone used non-descriptive titles for every thread, the forum would be less easy to read. Seeing how you gave such a lousy subject title, why not mention it here ? Then everybody that needs to can learn from your bad example.

Wouldn't that be a good example then? Of what not to do. No one learns from bad examples.

Posted via Android Central App

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
What are "active notifications?" Could you mean Active Display? If so, then rumor has it Active Display is already running on Android 4.3 devices, namely the Moto X.

Was anyone expecting the feature to disappear by 4.4?

I'm referring to active notifications/active display. They go hand in hand. I know there's a phone called the moto x in which this feature debuted on. And its not baked into stock android, that was Motorola's addition to the software. Doesn't mean it'll be on 4.4. Which is where this rumor comes into play.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm referring to active notifications/active display. They go hand in hand. I know there's a phone called the moto x in which this feature debuted on. And its not baked into stock android, that was Motorola's addition to the software. Doesn't mean it'll be on 4.4. Which is where this rumor comes into play.

Active Display is as much hardware as it is software; not every Android device could run it quite like the X can.

Outside your nondescript forum post, would you like to source this "rumor?"

kawana72

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
Yes. It needs to be an AMOLED display. On IPS displays, it would cause too much battery consumption.

Sent from the awesome new Nexus 7

But they could still potentially run it though, right? Its not restricted to just amoled screens?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Tall Mike 2145

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
"rumors have it..."

? that J.J. Abrams is likely to frak up the Star Wars franchise even worse than George Lucas;
? that Android 4.4 may debut later this year or early next year;
? that the government shutdown really won't accomplish very much;
? that Linux is slowly taking over the tech world and is essentially already the dominant player in many areas;
? that the Eagles never broke up: they simply took a 14 year vacation;
? Gatchaman was the forerunner to many show concepts seen in many other such shows over the last two to three decades.

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
"rumors have it..."

? that J.J. Abrams is likely to frak up the Star Wars franchise even worse than George Lucas;
? that Android 4.4 may debut later this year or early next year;
? that the government shutdown really won't accomplish very much;
? that Linux is slowly taking over the tech world and is essentially already the dominant player in many areas;
? that the Eagles never broke up: they simply took a 14 year vacation;
? Gatchaman was the forerunner to many show concepts seen in many other such shows over the last two to three decades.

Thank you. A rumor is just a rumor.

chadthebuilder

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
But they could still potentially run it though, right? Its not restricted to just amoled screens?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

It absolutely could. It would just be a huge battery drain. IPS displays must have a backlight in order to run the screen. It doesn't matter if one pixel has something on it, or all of them have something on it. It will take the same amount of battery to do it. AMOLED screens turn individual pixels off when not in use, since each pixel creates its own light. That is why they produce such good blacks (black on your screen means that pixel is off) It also allows AMOLED screens to so things such as active display, since only a few pixels are turning on, thus minimizing battery drain.

Stuartglossop

Aug 19, 2012
Visit site
It absolutely could. It would just be a huge battery drain. IPS displays must have a backlight in order to run the screen. It doesn't matter if one pixel has something on it, or all of them have something on it. It will take the same amount of battery to do it. AMOLED screens turn individual pixels off when not in use, since each pixel creates its own light. That is why they produce such good blacks (black on your screen means that pixel is off) It also allows AMOLED screens to so things such as active display, since only a few pixels are turning on, thus minimizing battery drain.

Maybe something like Dashclock would be better?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2