Phone won't boot past "Samsung"

raygun95

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
After updating my firmware, my phone rebooted. After it rebooted, my screen was black. It was on, but nothing would show on the screen beyond the top bar. Frustrated I turned off my phone, and since then it's been unable to move beyond the "Samsung". I've been at it for over an hour to no avail. It was fully charged before the update, and was charging throughout. I have tried many different things in order to get it to start, but nothing has worked. I have had no problems leading up to this update. Any suggestions? (Also, this was not a virus, because all of my other Android-using friends have gotten it...and many have faced a number of problems as well.) --Samsung Galaxy S3 user

Sicily1918

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Given that you've an S3 and those phones haven't been officially updated to KitKat yet, I'm going to guess you installed a custom ROM, ran the 'normal' Sammy OTA update, or sideloaded an incorrect image file onto your phone -- in any case, you're going to have to give us a whole lot more information.

Try booting into recovery and clearing the Cache (maybe the Dalvik as well, if you have a custom recovery) -- that may fix you up.

If that don't work:
  1. What model number of S3 do you have (T999, I535, etc)?
    • Alternately, what carrier are you on?
  2. Custom Recovery and version?
  3. Custom ROM and version?
The good news is that it doesn't appear that you've hard-bricked the phone, so you should be able to boot to ODIN and install a fresh OS (last resort, but it's good to know it's available to you).

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
After updating my firmware, my phone rebooted. After it rebooted, my screen was black. It was on, but nothing would show on the screen beyond the top bar. Frustrated I turned off my phone, and since then it's been unable to move beyond the "Samsung". I've been at it for over an hour to no avail. It was fully charged before the update, and was charging throughout. I have tried many different things in order to get it to start, but nothing has worked. I have had no problems leading up to this update. Any suggestions? (Also, this was not a virus, because all of my other Android-using friends have gotten it...and many have faced a number of problems as well.) --Samsung Galaxy S3 user

Rebooting into recovery and wiping cache may help as well.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...ing-into-recovery-mode-galaxy-s2-s3-tab2.html

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty