Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Aquila
  • 1 Post By velijana
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts

Default Permission denied to sd card

After updating my galaxy s4 to android 4.4.2, sd card (samsung 64gb) is not working correctly. I can read files, but can't edit or delete them by any file explorer. Message: "permission denied". Any ideas? Thanks.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using AC Forums mobile app

Global Posts
    11,616 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Assassin 'Droid

Default Re: Permission denied to sd card

tube517 likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts

thanks for responding, So, if I keep all my data, format sd card from phone and put the data back, it will solve the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by velijana View Post
    thanks for responding, So, if I keep all my data, format sd card from phone and put the data back, it will solve the problem?

I'm not sure where you got that from.

There are new protocols in KitKat which prevent apps that are not updated from accessing or writing to certain parts of the card. Even when updated, there may be some limitations. There is no fix for it, as I understand it. It is the new normal.

If your apps are updated for KitKat things should be ok. I expect app makers eventually to catch up. Already, for instance, apps like PowerAmp work fine. It has no trouble reading media cards on my phone. MX Player Pro will delete files from the card. Cool Reader reads ebooks on the card. But I can't copy files to a different location on the card with my 3rd party file managers. (The native file manager works fine....)

App makers have to catch up to this change.

I'm pretty sure both FX and ES File Explorer (3rd part File Managers) both work OK now for external SD on KitKat (the dev of FX also made the standalone SDFix to revert to JB behaviour).

Quote Originally Posted by neu smurph View Post
    I'm pretty sure both FX and ES File Explorer (3rd part File Managers) both work OK now for external SD on KitKat (the dev of FX also made the standalone SDFix to revert to JB behaviour).
    Well, not a burning issue for me any more because I'm rather happy with the native file manager. But has anyone tested them? Astro and Andro both work fine in terms of searching and finding files. They won't, however, copy or rename files on the card.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts

Everything's clear. Native file manager works (having ugly UI) it's bad to have limits with 3rd party apps. Hope updates will manage this problem. Thanks for your answers.

monsieurms likes this.