Severe "Android system" battery drain after doing 4.4.4 upgrade

kjetilbmoe

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Hello everyone,
I just recently upgraded my Sony Xperia ZR (very similar to the Z1 compact) to 4.4.4. I figured it was wise to delay the upgrade as the first Xperia Kitkat upgrade in May this year included some other nasty battery problems related to Google Play services. I have kept browsing Twitter and searching for potential problems, and it now seemed safe to upgrade - there were no major reports on battery problems.

But it now seems there actually is. "Android system" will now use 60-70% of battery capacity, and in the statistics phone always shows as "active" and with Wifi on. I really have a super tweaked energy saving scheme on this phone, having disabled background data for a ton of apps, enabled Stamina mode and so on, so I am quite convinced something else is wrong.

I tried to install the Wakelock detective, but this would apparently not work for this Android release.

Any ideas to what to try next?

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Paradoxically, the first thing I'd try is disabling all your battery-saving measures. Smartphones are meant to be connected, and there's a good chance that you've set up a feedback loop where some apps are trying to do things and being shut down, then retrying forever.

Carol Gallegos

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I am also having major battery issues. I have a samsung s5 and my battery would last 24 hours + but now it lasts less than 12 hrs. I got the 4.4.4 kitkat update a couple days ago and now things load slower and my battery drains very quickly. Android System is the highest user... right now at 38%. This is crazy! Please help with a fix. Samsung Push Service is also sucking up the battery at 24% but I'm sure that's not an android issue.

GhaithJ

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

I have the same problem with the battery after this update. Any idea about any featured update to fix this problem ?

Cheers,

Jon_Doh

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Have the same problem with my Nexus 7 after the update. Tried clearing the system cache, installed several battery monitoring apps, Greenify, etc. Nothing helped. Not even a factory reset. What finally helped was disabling all Google Play Services, Framework, Transport, etc and disabling Google +, Google Now. I don't get the pesky "update the app you just updated yesterday" notifications, but I get great battery life and I"m happy with that.

If and when Lollipop rolls out, I'll wait and see what the report is on it regarding bugs and battery life and if all is good I'll update and turn Play Services back on and see how it does. If the drain starts back up I'll know what to disable.

TheseusWrex

Feb 7, 2015
Visit site
I'm having the same problem with my Galaxy S5. I used to get at least an entire day on a charge. Today I updated to 4.4.4 and I barely got 8 hours out of my phone before it died. This is ridiculous. What could possibly be chewing up that much battery power? I've checked settings, cleared the cache for all of my apps, and still my battery drops by at least 10% an hour, even without using it.

LR G

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
"Android System" is the app that makes your phone/tablet useful. Without it, your phone/tablet will be useless like my phone last year. Anyway, "Android System"'s battery usage is 60-70% so that your phone will be better than the previous. Don't be scared of that, my "Android System" usage is 70+%.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress