Why is my Google Music stripping DRM and ID3 into a unusable (but playable) raw mp3s?

batousan

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
Google Music stripping DRM and ID3 into unusable (but playable) raw mp3s

Hi, recently picked up a Sony Xperia Z3, I've had iPhones and iPods since they were born and the crp Apple churned out this year made me switch. I've had a Nexus 7 for a year now so I'm not that new to Android but I've got a bit of a headache here and also Google music doing some fairly weird stuff...

So I have a lot of paid music through itunes that I've accumulated over the years, this is stored in the iTunes Match iCloud thing so previously I installed the Google Play Music App on my Macbook and synced it with my itunes Library (if you've done this you'll understand it's a fairly lengthy process). So I've been streaming my music via the Google Play Music App for a month now and rinsed my 1 month of unlimited data but I'm dropping to just 2gb next month.

So here lies the problem, I've bought a 64gb card and downloaded the music through the Google Play App on to it, which is stored in sdcard1 > c o m DOT google DOT android DOT music > files > music and I want to use the Sony or a third party music app which I prefer (App diversity is one reason I went droid). Of course I can't store all of my music on my card so a bit of app switching was something I expected but I'm stuck at the moment.

1. My Walkman App cannot see this location (blame Google (slash)Sony)
2. Neutron(slash)Rocket Player can see it however...

Google have completely stripped all the ID3 tags and all of the DRM put in place by Apple so they are just a bunch of raw numbered mp3 files and therefore completely effing useless. This is some grade a crp I would expect from Apple.

How would you suggest I get around this? The options I see are...

1. Accept this proprietary bullcrp Just use the Google Play App, like I've been doing with the "Music" app on my iPhones for years... yawn.

2. Ditch Google Play and pay dropbox a years salary or someone to store my 200+ gb of music on.

3. Wait for Apple to release an iTunes app for Android... or for hell to ice over.

4. Go back to the tech dark ages where we you know, plugged in a USB cable and copy stuff to disks (slash) memory cards every time I decide I want to listen to something that isn't on my memory card, do people remember that? (2001 called it wants it's ideas back)

5. <fill in the blank>

Thanks in advance,
An EX deluded Apple user.

PS. Any chance a forum bods could look into this absolutely stupid way of checking for links in new user posts? Pro tip, url's usually are preceded by something specific to web stuff I can't post and slashes or god knows whatever else are also used for folder locations. Posting this has been a nightmare, what is with this forum I keep getting told the post has a url in it or invalid thread specified I bet most people give or go elsewhere.